Nissan micra 1.3 auto fuel tank drain

Hi, I have a lot of dirt in my tank which is causing the car to misfire, how can drain the fuel tank or what is the best way to drain the fuel tank please?
thanks

OP
OP
L
throttle body is good, it come of a good running car, when I removed the fuel line from the fuel filter and turn the ignition, only a small amount of fuel comes out, which means there is a problem with the pump or dirt in tank

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
throttle body is good, it come of a good running car, when I removed the fuel line from the fuel filter and turn the ignition, only a small amount of fuel comes out, which means there is a problem with the pump or dirt in tank
Fuel fikter sits above the fuel level in tank mind, would have to sit the fuel hose below floor of car to check correctly, assuming the fuel pump allows free flow through it in the direction of flow.

OP
OP
L
what I meant is that I have done the same test to two micra's the micra that runs well has loads of fuel coming out of the fuel filter once the ignition is turned, the one with the problem only a few droplets come out when the ignition is turned

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
My bad, didn't read the turn ignition bit. Try earth to the fuel pump, earths cause a lot of electrical gremlins. That and twist and taped connections

OP
OP
L
sorry can you explain a bit more about the earth please, also can it be a problem that when the fuel runs low that the pump is sucking in dirt, as the problem only happens when the fuel gauge drops to the beginning of the red of the fuel amount? the fuel in the tank is dirty, the original pump from the car was also dirty, the mesh on the fuel pump was full of dirt

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
sorry can you explain a bit more about the earth please, also can it be a problem that when the fuel runs low that the pump is sucking in dirt, as the problem only happens when the fuel gauge drops to the beginning of the red of the fuel amount? the fuel in the tank is dirty, the original pump from the car was also dirty, the mesh on the fuel pump was full of dirt
If the earth point of ypur pump has corroded your pump may not be runnig at full voltage due to the resistance at the earth point caused by rust. It could also be the problem you suggested, or a crimped pipe or simply there isn't any fuel in the tank and your fuel gauge/sender is faulty.

OP
OP
L
thanks for your response, I will check everything out tomorrow, is it possible it can be a ECU fault and how can I clean the tank?
thanks

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
thanks for your response, I will check everything out tomorrow, is it possible it can be a ECU fault and how can I clean the tank?
thanks
Tank should be steam cleaned ideally, be VERY wary of leftover petrol fumes. No smoking etc. Avoid chemical cleaners that can perish seals on injectors when they get washed down the system with the petrol later on. If you find it has holes in it after you clean it, you can't weld it until it has been aired out for at least 3 days

OP
OP
L
Tank should be steam cleaned ideally, be VERY wary of leftover petrol fumes. No smoking etc. Avoid chemical cleaners that can perish seals on injectors when they get washed down the system with the petrol later on. If you find it has holes in it after you clean it, you can't weld it until it has been aired out for at least 3 days
Thanks,

I imagine you'd have to take the plastic fuel tank off the car to clean it out properly. But I don't think that is the issue.

what do you think the issue is please?

I'm not sure sorry, but the dirt in the bottom of the tank shouldn't get sucked up. Did the new pump work and is it fitted correctly? although having said that the issue was already there wasn't it? bad electrical connection? blocked or crushed fuel pipe?

edit, blocked breather on tank, try with the cap off.