Nissan Micra 1.0 Vibe 1997

Hi everyone,

I've managed to get hold of a manual 1 Litre, Nissan Micra Vibe, from 1997, with 70,000 miles on the clock. Its a 3 door, but doesnt have power steering, remote locking, or even a ciggerette lighter.

Its been standing for around a year, but before that it had an MOT and tax for 8 years running. There is a bit of rust on the bonet, a few dents and medium size scratches here and there, but inside is immaculate. Certainly can't complain for £250.

When we went to see it, previous owner started the car, and ran the engine for 5/10 minutes. It started first time, and the engine sounded fantastic, depending having not started for 1 year, and using old petrol.

It eventually ran out of petrol and we went and put a few more gallons in it.

The owner said the headlights have been blowing recently, because of corrosion in the fusebox under the bonet. He got this out and had a play, showing us the crap inside.

We pushed it back to mine, tried to get it going again (charged the battery), and it'll turn over, but it just wont start.

My AA friend thinks the special NATS keys are not being read by the sensor because we disconnected the battery or fusebox and need reprogramming, which is going to cost us a lot of money to have reprogrammed.

I went to the scrappy and got the fusebook off the same size micra (but a bit newer) for a £10 (£93 new from nissan), will this fit my car, and how hard is it to attach?

What do you you guys think the problem is?

Obviously I'll be changing all the oils, the filters, the spark plugs and giving it a clean clean underneath to get it somewhere near MOT standard, but all your suggestions are welcome!

Hopefully I'll be the proud driver of a WORKING nissan micra soon :grinning:!

(BTW, I'm insured as the main driver, fully comp, for just £830. Not bad for a 17 year old lad whose just passed his test. God Bless motorcycle no claims :laugh: )

hi micra- most people cut the affected wires and attach an inline fuse instead, and does the engine fire up if you drop a little petrol down the throttlebody ?

The fuel pump fuse is also in that fusebox by the battery.
If the fuse is not making contact, the car will not start.

I doubt it is a key problem if you have had it running recently.

Yes, it does fire up for a second or two if you spray a bit of damp start in there.

Yeah, the fuse box is from another K11, but it has extra fuses in it because the car its from had power steering or electric windows etc.

Although I had it running, that was before somebody took the fuse box apart to show me the corrosion. Since we've fitted it back in and put some petrol in the tank, it wont show up again. I also disconnected the battery for a charge. The old owner also mentions the faulty fusebox in causing one of the headlights to blow bulbs.

Does anybody know if disconnecting the battery or fusebook 'resets' the link between the NATS chip in the key and the sensor behind the ignition barrel, leaving it needing to be reprogrammed?

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Anybody?

Ohhh, I also brought a ciggerette lighter from a micra in the scrapyard, is there a guide to help me fit it anywhere once I get the damn car running?

as far as the cig lighter goes, i just ran a cable to the battery and took a live from there, and a negative(ground) from the centre console metal work. works a treat.
remember to put an inline fuse on the live side. mine is about 10 inches down the line from the battery.

or come off the fusebox but i dont know how to get to mind properly to do that.

Anybody?

Ohhh, I also brought a ciggerette lighter from a micra in the scrapyard, is there a guide to help me fit it anywhere once I get the damn car running?

the fuelpump relay is behind the drivers right foot kick panel iirc, and it should kick in for a few secs with the ignition on, and mine (very base model) had the cig lighter plug taped to the loom

don't forget that if you change the loom for the headlight, change the bulb as well, or it will just happen again

Can you explain what a 'loom' is for somebody as blonde as myself?

I was working on the car today. Nissan reckon the keys have 'lost' the code and need bringing in for a retune. Mechanic reckons the 'amplifier' sensor which sit around the ignition is faulty and need replacing and reprogramming (the part is £200 alone).

Car mad friend still insists the fusebox is dodgy, despite having cleaned off all the corrosion and checking all the fuses. It will still turn over, mind.

The horn wouldnt work, and after reading the Haynes manual, the fuse for it, which sits to the right of the driver, was missing. So I put a fuse in there and its now working. However, having not been used for years, the noise doesnt resemble a horn. Is there anything I can spray inside the horn to make it sound less rusty? WD40?

Engine started momentarily today, but cut out after a few seconds, sounded like it was being starved of petrol.

Because the car has been standing for around a year, another friend reckons the fuel pump itself may be clogged, where it opens up and lets the petrol in. However, it still primes when I turn the ignition on.

I've got somebody coming over tomorrow who will run a diagnostic test on it for £45. Hopefully it highlights the issue.

I'll leave fitting the CD Player and cigerette lighter until I have the car running.

Yes, it does fire up for a second or two if you spray a bit of damp start in there.

Yeah, the fuse box is from another K11, but it has extra fuses in it because the car its from had power steering or electric windows etc.

Although I had it running, that was before somebody took the fuse box apart to show me the corrosion. Since we've fitted it back in and put some petrol in the tank, it wont show up again. I also disconnected the battery for a charge. The old owner also mentions the faulty fusebox in causing one of the headlights to blow bulbs.

Does anybody know if disconnecting the battery or fusebook 'resets' the link between the NATS chip in the key and the sensor behind the ignition barrel, leaving it needing to be reprogrammed?

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Dont think so, i disconnected my battery for about an hour whilst sorting out my sub wiring and never have any problems with the ignition

i have a 1997 vibe to friend, found that the connections for the cig lighter are jst sat behind the compartment under the radio, i also have had my battery disconected for over an hour and my ignition was fine, was jst the radio and clock that was affected. good luck with ya diag.

Back