Nissan figaro problem

Baz

Ex. Club Member
I'm working on one of these at the moment, I have replaced rotor arm ,dizzy cap, plugs and leads as the 19 year old stuff was'nt doing the job for a "daily driver" and this caused the cat converter temp light to come on.Also the car had a bad air leak at the manifold and was cutting out if the revs wer'nt kept up. So I replaced all the vac lines (not as many as the st). no joy. . . . but I discover the inlet manifold gasket is where the leaks is and if the throttle is blipped the car will run buts it bangs out through the split in the gasket, like you can see a flash when the combustion occurs in cylinder 3 at the gasket, between the inlet mani and cylinder head.

I have the inlet off now and the gaskets on order so thats grand. I'm concerned about the banging though, is this because the air leak is upsetting the airflow meter?

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
You serious man? I have seen car biack fire through the inlet with faulty MAF's and I once had a starlet with a busted ecu that did it aswell replaced the ecu and it was fine.The fig drive fine as long as you don't let it idle

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
Not the same car i know, but i have seen a kia picanto backfire up the air inlet with a dodgy airmeter and removed airfilter? if this helps? Is the timing ok? just a thought Baz, what you doing working on a figroll anyway? :D

Steve

superls

K10 Tuner
really the only thing that can cause a bang in the inlet is an inlet valve open when a plugs firing, therefore timing is way off (you said you had changed cap and leads, are they on the right way?) or af per frank burned or bent valve.

idid you have the dizzy off? did it go back?

once the inlet is back on static time the engine, the check it and do a compression test.

actually come to think of it do a compression test with the inlet off.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Very lean conditions can cause manifold backfire. I would not expect this on a MA10T. The cams are not wild enough, unless either the timing is really out or something else is wrong.

Barry do a compression check asap. I'm sure you have other problems there.

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Very lean conditions can cause manifold backfire. I would not expect this on a MA10T. The cams are not wild enough, unless either the timing is really out or something else is wrong.

Barry do a compression check asap. I'm sure you have other problems there.

Was thinking that Ed , are you talking about engine timing or ignition?

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Finished up this car yesterday, was 100%, compression fine and drove very well with the autobox , still a bent looking car though