Nissan Consult advice!

managed to get my hands on a Nissan Consult machine. Its a real one, not one of those things that plugs into a laptop etc.

Anyway, its faulty! It only powers up if you hold the on button in. As soon as you take your finger off the machine switches off. You can't hold the on button on and use it, I tried that! LOL!

I took the thing apart to check the on button etc. Its a small rubber one that presses a conductive disc against the circuit board so there doesn't really seem to be anything to jam or wear out there.

Ive had a look over the guts of it and I can't see anything broken or burned out. I have 2 batteries and have charged them both up to rule them out.

There is a small disc battery inside the unit that keeps the memory for the clock etc. but the previous owner says he changed it to try and get the thing going but it made no difference.

I'm going to try another small battery but does anyone know of any common problems with these?

They are made by Canon for Nissan and I've tried googling it but all it comes up with is page after page of Consult emulators!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Sounds like the part of the circuit that latches the switch on is fubard. It's probably possible to wire a latching switch in parallel to the original switch, by soldering a wire to the tracks each side so that the original switch is bypassed. I'm sure someone who knows about electronics would be able to fix it, but thats probably what i'd do in the same situation.

what do you see once it is powered up? possible to record video of it? ive got a consult1 unit somewhere (i actually need a new battery if you know where to get one?)

Thats interesting, I'd like to be first in line if you give up with it!

Ok, heres the update.
If I hold the 'On' button down the unit powers up and displays the start screen.
You cannot select anything as you are holding the 'On' button.
As soon as you release the button it goes off.

I removed the casing. Under the 'On' button there is a printed circuit board with contacts printed on the board. If I bypass the contacts the unit does the same as when I hold the button down which rules out the button.

The unit has 2 batteries. The big main battery and a smaller button type battery (like in some PCs) I changed the small one. I have 2 large batteries, both of which seem to charge ok and give out the correct voltage.

But I am still no further forward! I've tried googling it but all I get are hundreds of pages of 'Consult' simularor cables!

The unit is made by Canon but their website offers no clues either!

So its kinda sat in its box for the past few weeks! LOL!

I'd love to get it up and running as its in decent condition otherwise and appears to have everything it would have come with when new, then again, everything has a price.

If anyone thinks they can do better with it that I have, feel free to make an offer before I get off my @rse and take it to a fixer!

you wont find any info on the actual consult on the internet. to find anyone who does anything more than 'just uses it at work' is about the most u can hope for.

try trace where the button input goes and see if that helps. ive traced it to the top right contact (when looking from topside) of that main middle circuit board of the ribbon connector (bottom one) coming from the circuit board of the front LCD circuit - but cant see where traces go once it is on that main circuit board.

one thing that could be tried is finding the voltage regulation circuit (if it has one, may just use batt voltage directly?) and try to jump it over to one of the existing vcc/gnd test points and see if that makes it come alive, or try and find the circuitry that does the switching to turn that power on.

Launch.
Have used it and the Snap on Solus in friends garages. Launch has pokey little display and looks cack but seems to work on most things without problem.
Had a loan of the latest Bosch computer a few weeks ago but it seemed to know what it was doing better than me! I kept expecting it to sigh and tell me to sweep up! LOL! Didn't come with the 14 pin Nissan plug either!

Back