NGK Plugs Swap - Just Wandering

A few weeks back had a judder / shudder on the K11 that turned out be the HT leads. During the discussion on MSC folks suggested HT's, plugs, rotor, dist etc ... all solid stuff and in fact bought all to try/fit as cheap..... and not replaced for many years in reality.

The leads fixed the issue but read opinions about plugs and eventually went with the NGK's .... fitted them today at last and I feel is running a little better but can't really tell objectively. Woulds say a bit better .... certainly no worse.

But the plugs that came out (NGK's as it goes) were undamaged and even have the cross groove on the tip intact .... a little browned and a little soot on the thread and some (what looked like) rust on the ceramic base. I'm wandering how to check in reality if they have degraded at all. Sure they look a little less shiny but how to tell if they really needed replacing? All in the interests of Bangernomics you understand ... not the £7 it actually cost to replace.

Certainly I cannot imagine how much better the Bosch X4's I originally ordered might have been .... three times the cost and returned in favour of the NGK's

Well the old plugs may.have wanted cleaned and gapping ?
Tbh never had much luck with bosch plugs had more of them failing or poor performance and cold starts. Then ngk ones
Bit of corrosion on the hex is sorta.normal.just means some damp got through the plug cap,and the threads can be a little dirty unless they arnt tight then is been blowing by
Only way of possibly checking the plug is doing a continuity check ,but thats.just a thought

My plugs must be getting on for nine years old now, fit and forget :oops: coming up to 18,000 mile change point though, so might treat it to new ones, NGK always.

OP
OP
Well the old plugs may.have wanted cleaned and gapping ?
Tbh never had much luck with bosch plugs had more of them failing or poor performance and cold starts. Then ngk ones
Bit of corrosion on the hex is sorta.normal.just means some damp got through the plug cap,and the threads can be a little dirty unless they arnt tight then is been blowing by
Only way of possibly checking the plug is doing a continuity check ,but thats.just a thought

Yes in fact Nissanboy, is why I sent them back, were expensive and yours and others feedback seemed be the NGK's were more than good enough at 1/3 of the price. And indeed that is it appears what we fed it last time.

I have a feeling they were in great shape but for the very low price I guess not worth 'not' doing it .... and there is something strangely appealing about shiny new plugs. And fitting them in the Shropshire sunshine yesterday was actually a nice job.

I don't know why but I always keep the old set!!! In a plastic bag in the boot ... in case of what...I'm not sure but, you know :)

OP
OP
My plugs must be getting on for nine years old now, fit and forget :oops: coming up to 18,000 mile change point though, so might treat it to new ones, NGK always.
Yeah and I suspect 1275 that these were probably equally as good ... mind they also would be winding up to 18k ish by coincidence as well, although a couple years less in age. Changing plugs is almost a form of 'easy car maintenance therapy' .... not sure it makes any huge difference but feels good :)