• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Nexussteve's K10 GA16 Project!

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Yes! That's right! I'm STILL here!!
And yes, of course, the project is STILL going! I've started a new blog, as technically, this is now a different car. The last one was written off over a bent floor in the boot as well as the boot itself, and I just didn't want to be paying out money before I'd even started.
So I managed to get hold of a rare Super S from a friend who managed to win it on E-bay for me!! After a few monthly payments to him, she was mine! I've wanted a Super S since I first got my previous, silver micra and logged onto the forum!
The Super S (I'm embarrassed to say...) was in IMMACULATE condition! I really was in two minds about the conversion, but decided I had to have more power, as I'd only be craving it later!! Plus, I had all the parts already! ^^

*DISCLAIMER!*
I am NOT a mechanic, nor am I a welder! This is my first, ever engine conversion and I've only worked with advice from this forum, family and friends! All the custom work you see in this blog is all done by myself and I do not consider myself an expert at any of this! So please keep all criticism constructive, I need all the help I can get! :)

I'd also like to bring up the fact that this project has been an on-going trawl over the last 3 years! With blogs like this, many people see them pop up and jump to the conclusion that you can do things like this over the weekend! There are many skilled professionals that probably COULD do such a thing, but I'd just like to accentuate the fact that not everyone is a mechanic and there's no reason that, with a little time and money, ANYONE can jump in and try a big project! :D

With many setbacks over the years including; financial difficulties, workshop-hopping and time, this has been a definate labour of love and I've been determined to get this finished and not be another half-assed project that eventually gets sold on!

So, here she is! A K10 Micra Super S 1.2 under-going a 1.6 GA16 Primera engine conversion, with a few other cool little bits!
Hope you like what you see, but remember: it's still on-going!!

The Micra with the donor Primera:
Photo0700.jpg

The Doom Buggy's new heart!
Photo0701.jpg

Out she comes!
Photo0702.jpg

She fits! Sizing up the engine and working out engine mount positions:
Photo0709.jpg

Driver's-side Engine mount:
Photo0710.jpg

Passenger-side Gearbox Mount:
Photo0711.jpg

Reinforcing the cut-away chassis rail:
Photo0712.jpg

Photo0713.jpg

Photo0714.jpg

Primera Radiator mounts weren't looking too good! :/
Photo0715.jpg

Radiator positioned, mounts cleaned up, tacked, then welded in when all looked good!
Photo0716.jpg

Photo0717.jpg

Photo0718.jpg

Radiator clearance from bonnet:
Photo0719.jpg

The Micra's new heart in the car, without the crane for the first time!
Photo0720.jpg

OP
OP
nexussteve

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Decided to use Primera sub-frame to support engine - it's a bit long! (surprise, surprise!)
Photo0721.jpg

So, cut, shut and adapt! :)
Photo0722.jpg

Photo0723.jpg

Photo0724.jpg

My girlfriend's helpful addition to the car: -_-'
Photo0725.jpg

Mounts fully-enclosed, welded and painted!
Photo1255.jpg

Photo1257.jpg

K11 Power-steering rack - this is proly gonna be an ass-ache, but I'll get there eventually!
Photo0765.jpg

Welded turrets:
Photo0752.jpg

Photo0753.jpg

I've also done LOTS of aesthetic things in and around the car, but I'll leave that for another day! As I said before, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism please! I'm a newbie that's jumped in the deep-end! (Sometimes the best way to learn!!)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Nice work, scary amount of cutting on the chassis though. Was there really no other way of moving the engine over a bit?

OP
OP
nexussteve

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Thanks very much!
RE: the chassis - Tell me about it! :/

I wasn't happy about it myself, but the adjuster that comes down from the belt pulleys, as well as the pulleys themselves were a pain to get in. I've reinforced that whole side with 2x 2mm steel plates, so it's pretty sturdy.

There was a reason why I couldn't move the engine over, but I can't remember what it was! Something to do with the mount if I remember correctly. Besides, if all goes well, it'll be a lot easier to work on the engine!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Ah fair play. I'll be doing one of these soon. Will be interesting to compare notes. I'll be following this with interest :)

frank

Club Member
Thanks very much!
RE: the chassis - Tell me about it! :/

I wasn't happy about it myself, but the adjuster that comes down from the belt pulleys, as well as the pulleys themselves were a pain to get in. I've reinforced that whole side with 2x 2mm steel plates, so it's pretty sturdy.

There was a reason why I couldn't move the engine over, but I can't remember what it was! Something to do with the mount if I remember correctly. Besides, if all goes well, it'll be a lot easier to work on the engine!
2mm plates wont have the same strength as a box member chassis rail tho eh steve, cant you add some reinforcement on the other side of the flitch ?

OP
OP
nexussteve

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Ah fair play. I'll be doing one of these soon. Will be interesting to compare notes. I'll be following this with interest :)

Ha! You're the expert here! But I'll help out with what I can! :)

2mm plates wont have the same strength as a box member chassis rail tho eh steve, cant you add some reinforcement on the other side of the flitch ?

I know, I'll just have to see what happens I guess!
I have a large 2mm plate on the engine side and on the arch side so there isn't too much movement one way. Anything you could suggest to beef it up?

OP
OP
nexussteve

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
I'm just fiddling around with a join between the Uni-joint on the rack and the uni-joint on the steering column! Once that's done and works well, I've just got the starter motor to mount, then engine in! :)

OP
OP
nexussteve

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Can't wait to see this when its done. I sure do love the old super s K10.
It's great, because the interior is mint, and the only problem with the exterior is a bit of lacquer peel on the wings....well, that and the boot lid! (coming soon!)

OP
OP
nexussteve

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
A small update, as I don't want to give too much away at this stage!
Here's the sub-frame all connected up and the clearance:

Still plenty of room:
Photo1447_zps66f5edef.jpg

Photo1452_zpsdd8b6a4a.jpg

Needed to be able to take the frame off, so went with this idea:
Photo1453_zpsbf02f6b4.jpg

Then a couple of these bungs to keep it water-tight!
Photo1454_zps4d3aaa85.jpg

OP
OP
nexussteve

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Steering rack connected and bolted up (Just needs piping and reservoir to be located)
Boot now prepped and primer'd.
Bonnet is repaired, prepped and ready for primer.
Suspension all back on with wheels to see how she sits.

Next is:
Loom and Top Coat! (I'm dreading the loom! :p)