Hi folks

I have two K11's, well they're my missus and our daughters K11's (so that makes me an old fart :rolleyes: )

Great cars, I learnt to drive and passed my test years ago in a K10 when they were new out, my daughters car is a '95 that my old man bought new, then my brother bought off him, and I bought it off him for my daughter to drive to uni in.
Our other K11 is an '03 facelift (is that what you call them??) which we've owned for 4 years.

I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of years searching for info occasionally but need to ask a couple of questions please. I've read up a bit about the well known ignition switch fault but can't find much more details of the fault. My '03 has a bad ignition switch which I've stripped and found worn contacts in, it also seems like the contacts had moved out of their correct position, this showed up when trying to start it, you could turn the key too far, kinda right past the starter motor position, if you back the key off a little the starter motor would chip in and start the engine, then the ignition "on" position started giving a bit of trouble where the wipers wouldn't work unless you turned the key towards the "off" position a tiny bit.

I've refitted the rebuilt switch today and it seems OK but would like to know the best place (cheapest) to get a new switch, looking around some of the prices coming back at me are amazing (not good amazing!!)

My next question is about the valve clearances, I have a Haynes manual for the '95 and was wondering if the engine info like valve clearances are the same, the '03 K11 has engine code CG10

frank

Club Member
hi tomb (fellow old fart :)) the CR engines had shimless buckets, and i had a late CGA that had the same type, so yours may also be from that crossover period ?

OP
OP
T
Hi Frank, thanks for the reply.

Dya know of any online manuals that would give me the valve clearances or are you saying that the valve clearances will be the same??

Yeah I know, I should just go and buy a manual :rolleyes: only with a daughter just finished uni as the next one started I'm bleedin skint :p

frank

Club Member
the online polish/russian pdf manual covers the later k11,s mate, but they,re sure to be the same clearances (you have to but the suitably sized whole bucket instead of just the shim on the CR engines)
but i have a few shims if you need the odd one or two :)

OP
OP
T
Sorry Frank, I didn't pick up on your shimless bucket comment before, I'm used to motorbike under bucket or over bucket shims but never heard of shim-less buckets.

Please excuse my ignorance on the Micras (I'm a two wheeled bolt twiddler normally) but CR?? engine??

Yep I really did just ask that :rolleyes: I need to do some more reading and searches before wearing out my welcome here don't I

Thanks for your patience

frank

Club Member
the CR was fitted to the k12,s tomb, very similar valvetrain etc but single chain and vtec inlet, and its just a different thickness of the bucket basicly

OP
OP
T
I've just nipped out and had a look through the oil filler hole, yep its a single timing chain.

So I'm guessing our 03 have a newer type engine than our 95 K11, the 03 has no dizzy but plug coils.

The cam cover castings look very similar on both cars except for no distibutor mount on the newer.