newbie with a K10 tick over problem

hi all, had the K10 since april
9vlit0.jpg

its a tidy motor bought it off evilbay , i love the little beast, i can get my band gear in and its a good runner untill.........last week in the lake district of all places it refused to tick over , much heel and toe driving later i still cant fathom out the problem , is this a common fault with this model, its a 1993 as you can see. any tips or direction to the correct threads much obliged .

First Of All Welcome To The MSC! (Y)
try searching for "K10 wont start" etc. but i highly recommend you check/replace if necessary all the usual suspects like Spark Plugs, Ht Leads, Distrubutor, Battery, Possibly Other Things Im Sure People On Here Will Help!
And That Is A Clean Car :eek:

cheers sed , i did the plugs, leads,etc today it has improved the problem somewhat in that the tickover when it decides to is more even but the car stalls as i pull up to lights or junctions , one of my old rover club chums reckons i might have had a bad tank of fuel maybe some moisture/water in the carb, that needs flushing out, damned nause as the car is a cracker apart from this and a bit of scabbing on the wheel arch edges, only done 72k an elderly previous owner , i originally got it to tie me over for a trip to scotland and a few trips over the summer ,but its so good i'm going to keep it,amazing how much band gear i can get into it and the most economical car i've owned. and probably not likely to depreciate much from the £350 i paid for it .

cheers sed , i did the plugs, leads,etc today it has improved the problem somewhat in that the tickover when it decides to is more even but the car stalls as i pull up to lights or junctions , one of my old rover club chums reckons i might have had a bad tank of fuel maybe some moisture/water in the carb, that needs flushing out, damned nause as the car is a cracker apart from this and a bit of scabbing on the wheel arch edges, only done 72k an elderly previous owner , i originally got it to tie me over for a trip to scotland and a few trips over the summer ,but its so good i'm going to keep it,amazing how much band gear i can get into it and the most economical car i've owned. and probably not likely to depreciate much from the £350 i paid for it .

vacuum pipes could be perished also

i had this problem with mine, revves fine drives perfect just wont tickover? 'ARNOLD' had the same problem but was i different cause.

on ARNOLDS car the wires that go to the carb had snapped off the connectors causing the anti-dieseling solenoid not to open hence not ticking over.

mine was somewhat more simple the fuse for the carb and autochoke had vibrated its self out,

so 2 things to check, check all the fuses are good, there should only be 1 missing from the fusebox, and also check the wires and connectors going the the carb.

i also had another problem with the fusebox, a fuse for the left hand headlight has also vibrated out so it does happen.

An update, well a dodgy tickover certainly improves your heel and toeing skills ,but not much use driving around the lake district !!! the problem has been sorted, and there were two major faults, the first was water in the petrol this became evident when the carb was dismantled , almost half of the liquid in the fuel filter was also water, this was blown out with compressed air, the other problem was with the fuel plunger rubber which was split, now i didn't do these repairs myself a friend who is a mechanic did the job, he only charged me parts at cost and labour, all of the carb gaskets were replaced when assembling ,the tickover and mixture were sorted and the car runs really nicely so far.
re water in the petrol , there are no perished petrol lines or any way that water may have got into the system , the petrol cap is a locking one, i can only think that water got in when filling at a petrol station , apparently the storage tanks have to be checked and cleared of water, the fire brigade used to do this service free and gratis , it is now something that has to be paid for and fewer garages are doing it ,hence an increase in water getting into car fuel systems. this has been passed onto me from someone in the garage trade , i dont know how reliable it is ,but its certainly annoying when it happens.

Back