Newbie - What basic modifications to start with to increase performance?

Hi Everyone,

Completely new to car modifications and to the micra. Just bought my first micra today a 1.3i Inspiration with less than 40k on the clock. I'd like to enhance the car with some performance tweaks but don't know where to start. I'd like more poke from the engine and with that more stop from the brakes and of course less roll from the body.

Where would you start? What manufacturers of parts are good for mid-level performance increase?

I tell you from Subarist point of view (because NA subaru are almost untuneable)

mod that you really feel "under the foot" is sport camshaft, but usualy cost much money.

mid-priced level is 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, but changing the whole exhaust is the best way.
Remember that de-cat will dramaticaly change the powerband. Also Lambda may go crazy after de-cat.
I writing about decat, but I see you got strictly MOTs to pass in UK, dunno how it looks like

cheap mods like superb sport spark plugs, racing cables etc. usualy gives nothing ...or gives +10hp if you have a honda :confused:

turbo is big deal, but I see many people here doin it.

Brakes- I see the common mod is Pulsar/primera? brakes swap. Overall- rising the size of brake disc is better than multipling the pots (based at subaru 2pot and 4pot caliper)

For better handling, as usual, a bit harder springs or progressive lowering springs, sport shocks, thicker swaybars (there wasn't any higher model of micra, so only aftermarket)

Subarists frequently used setup are Kayaba AXG adjustable shocks + Eibach pro kit springs (-35) but its quite expensive.

main question is how you want to use this car, beacuse most of this mods makin' it hard to drive as "daily"

For power i would probably get a intake and a exhaust as they aren't to expensive and for less body roll you could get a strut bar and stiffer lowering springs. Also this has links to some parts suppliers. https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/k11-performance-part-suppliers.34/

Thanks for the replies.

This is the kind of level I was thinking. The micra must remain a daily car but the idea is that it would be a higher performance version of the stock car. Basically turning it up to 11!

What induction and exhaust pairings seem to work best? I've heard that tuning is a must after this type of upgrade to get the best out of it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies.

This is the kind of level I was thinking. The micra must remain a daily car but the idea is that it would be a higher performance version of the stock car. Basically turning it up to 11!

Without spending serious money you won't be turning it up past 3 I'm afraid

What induction and exhaust pairings seem to work best? I've heard that tuning is a must after this type of upgrade to get the best out of it. Any thoughts?

What's the budget? After almost any engine mod it needs remapping

Without spending serious money you won't be turning it up past 3 I'm afraid

What's the budget? After almost any engine mod it needs remapping

Hi Karlj,

I was thinking £800 for induction, exhaust and tune. I've seen the k&n filter and janspeed exhaust system online. I did wonder if an entire exhaust system replacement was absolutely necessary? I've guesstimated £300 for tuning as I haven't done this kinda thing before. It's a couple of months away yet however it always pays to research before spending.

I tell you from Subarist point of view (because NA subaru are almost untuneable)

mod that you really feel "under the foot" is sport camshaft, but usualy cost much money.

mid-priced level is 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, but changing the whole exhaust is the best way.
Remember that de-cat will dramaticaly change the powerband. Also Lambda may go crazy after de-cat.
I writing about decat, but I see you got strictly MOTs to pass in UK, dunno how it looks like

cheap mods like superb sport spark plugs, racing cables etc. usualy gives nothing ...or gives +10hp if you have a honda :confused:

turbo is big deal, but I see many people here doin it.

Brakes- I see the common mod is Pulsar/primera? brakes swap. Overall- rising the size of brake disc is better than multipling the pots (based at subaru 2pot and 4pot caliper)

For better handling, as usual, a bit harder springs or progressive lowering springs, sport shocks, thicker swaybars (there wasn't any higher model of micra, so only aftermarket)

Subarists frequently used setup are Kayaba AXG adjustable shocks + Eibach pro kit springs (-35) but its quite expensive.

main question is how you want to use this car, beacuse most of this mods makin' it hard to drive as "daily"

Hi Matiz,

Thanks for taking the time for replying. My vision for the car is to make it a very good road car, not for track days etc. I'd like it to be a quietly surprising car as apposed to a noisy head turner. I'm happy to spend money but it has to be considered spending and not just throwing money away for nothing.

After driving the micra for a while I think I want to start with suspension/ride quality as this is the one thing that stands out as lacking moreso than other aspects at this stage. Cornering is a bit too fluidic for my liking.

What do you recommend?

Put a set of 35-40mm lowering springs on it. £100 well spent. Looks better and drives better.

Hey Agent_Sm1th,

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at demontweeks nlog recently and (of course) they recommend upgraded shocks and springs at the same time. Have you any experience with and without upgraded shocks?

Many thanks.

What do you recommend?

Hi

dunno the best parts for micra, I'm too novice, but if exists- eibach pro kit is good choice. Most of lowering springs are too hard- dont know about those FK's above, but budget springs like MTS are "rockhard".
eibachs are proggresive, that means they should be quite comfy at bumpy roads, but getting stiffier after some amount of compression (for example while cornering)

Shocks- should be created to work with lovering springs, usualy named sport shocks, also should be bit harder in damping. dunno the brands, as mentioned above, except KYBs.

next good mod is stiffer (thicker) swaybars. But theres only aftermarket possibilities, didn't even searched for them.

Strut tower bars are classic, but theres a catch- Micras are usualy rosty as hell- if you stiffen the chassis too hard, it can break the corroded parts easly.

theres also a mod that you should do during lovering- adjustable panhard rod- it should improve real axle rigidy too.

basic thing is Tires- I spun a week ago 175 hankooks at front BUT winter 165/65 R13 at the rear.... I made one counter, but after moving the mass at other side it flew like a brick.... I'm lucky there were no cars on the road.... :(

A cheap induction mod would be to swap the standard airbox for a Almera N15 airbox fitted with a Pipercross performance air filter which gives better pick-up and a deeper and slightly louder induction growl! Here's one I fitted to my 2002 1.4SE! B-)
1457912840591.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Completely new to car modifications and to the micra. Just bought my first micra today a 1.3i Inspiration with less than 40k on the clock. I'd like to enhance the car with some performance tweaks but don't know where to start. I'd like more poke from the engine and with that more stop from the brakes and of course less roll from the body.

Where would you start? What manufacturers of parts are good for mid-level performance increase?
Speed is a question of money, how fast do you want to go?

Back