New section - K11s in Motorsport

James

Chairman
motorsport-logo.png

The eagle-eyed among you may have already noticed this section, if so, well done! ;)

After a request from a member regarding the increasing number of people on here associated with Motorsport, we've decided to open a dedicated section to all you K11 Motorsport nuts!

What's okay for discussion in here:

• General K11 Motorsport discussion
  • K11 tuning/mechanical relating to motorsport
  • K11 bodywork relating to motorsport
  • Questions about getting into K11 Motorsport/Rallying etc
  • Blogs about your Motorsport projects/results
What's not okay for discussion in here:

Hopefully this will give you guys a central point for the forums for discussion, much like the ST forum over in the K10 section!

If you have any threads in the general K11 forums that you want moving, let me know in this thread and I'll move them over!

Cheers,
James.

Looking for a K11 1.0 16v to convert to Autograss class 1 / junior racer preferably pre 200 coil pack version I am in the Yorkshire area obviously does not have to be in good condition No mot ect

Hi.

I'm uprating my K11 1.0S suspension and I'm thinking of a Gmax setup springs and shocks or Koni Str t shocks and Apex/gmax springs. 30-35mm drop with either. I've read good and bad about both setups. I want to kill body roll as much as possible. I've no rear anti roll bar, no axle mounts, so I'd need to change the axle to put one on. Budget is an issue or I'd just go straight to coil overs, rose joints etc.

Thoughts, advice etc please.

Why do it and why in the motorsport section?

My 15 yr old son James has just won the 2013 ANWCC Junior PCA championship in it and I've had several class wins in Clubmans Autosolo and 1 FTD in PCA this year. Why bother then if it's doing well as is? I'm going to do the ANWCC Autosolo championship this year so tougher competition and James will defend his PCA title. Also we want to slot in a few other things, autotest, scatters, road rally maybe so I want to uprate it as we go along.

Hi all, I'm new to the site today so forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered. My son runs a Class 1 Autograss K11 and I fitted a new engine and gearbox complete to it for this season. The engine and box came out of a very late 1999 model pre coil pack K11 with 14 inch wheels. The rules only allow 13 inch wheels, which is what we use. The problem is he is hitting the rev limiter way before the corner. Am I correct in thinking the gear ratio would be higher if I fitted the box that was originally fitted to the car a 97/98 model with 13s.
Any help much appreciated.

In Autograss it would be slower to go 2 to 3 and then back down so higher ratio is the only option I can think of within the rules. When he is at the end of the straight he just backs off a little then tuns in so a gear change would be slower. My box maybe desirable for road or rally but for us its too low.

pollyp

Club Member
what engine size is it cos I think the 1.3L has a taller ratio than the 1L.
also perhaps fitting taller profile tyres on the 13" alloys? but that may degrade cornering response n grip

Hate to be a spoilsport, but the NASA 2014 Autograss class one rule book clearly states a 4.05;1 differential ratio ONLY. My searching has not found any gearbox with a different second gear ratio when using the gearbox the dreaded rule book states you must use.But I love to learn so will look forward to any correction on my reply. Best of luck with your Autograss, I am travelling to Yorkshire soon and hope to have a look in at the A59 track.

Thanks Technicalt, I have just read the additional info in the NASA 2014 class one rule book and you are spot on. This presents me with a problem, the box I have in the car has been confirmed by Nissan Tech as being an RS5F30A which has second gear ratio of 1.826 : 1 and a 4.470 : 1 final drive. So,,,, I need to get an RS5F41A which is the only legal box I can use and also has a higher second gear so would be better for me as well. Question is, how can I identify the RS5F41A box, is it possible from the stamped number or without taking it apart?

frank

Club Member
Thanks Technicalt, I have just read the additional info in the NASA 2014 class one rule book and you are spot on. This presents me with a problem, the box I have in the car has been confirmed by Nissan Tech as being an RS5F30A which has second gear ratio of 1.826 : 1 and a 4.470 : 1 final drive. So,,,, I need to get an RS5F41A which is the only legal box I can use and also has a higher second gear so would be better for me as well. Question is, how can I identify the RS5F41A box, is it possible from the stamped number or without taking it apart?
its a smaller/different shaped g/box wilf, with different shaft and clutch splines (there are many threads on the prefacelift 1.0 g/box :) )

Thanks, I will have a look through. Just thought though, this means that the NASA rule book contradicts its self. My engine/gearbox combination is standard and original fitment in my car which is a 1999 model, a legal variant. So I will have to break the rules by mix and match to comply?

Last edited:

frank

Club Member
NASA probably assume that the pre-coilpack 1.0,s all have the same g/box eh, i would fit the lighter pre-facelift components personally (flywheel/clutch/shafts etc)

Thanks Frank, I have just been reading some posts about this, would I be right to think that I will need a flywheel and clutch (160mm) left and right driveshafts, and of course the box its self, all out of a pre facelift 1.0l to do the conversion. What about the steer knuckles, are they the same?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Thanks Frank, I have just been reading some posts about this, would I be right to think that I will need a flywheel and clutch (160mm) left and right driveshafts, and of course the box its self, all out of a pre facelift 1.0l to do the conversion. What about the steer knuckles, are they the same?
Hubs are same. Don't forget gearbox mounts :)

I have been studying the NASA rule book this afternoon and it clearly states the RS5F41A is the only permitted gearbox for the k11 Micra, so until they amend whats written I have no choice than to comply with their rules, especially as we plan on doing the Nationals this year and the top three cars all get stripped and re scrutineered.
In Autograss, class 1, a well prepared classic Mini is a hard car to beat, as over the years they have allowed them lots of mods from standard. It's been said to me on many occasion that you cant beat a Mini unless your in a Mini so when you do, they are often suspicious of your car so it has to be legal. The gearbox NASA specify would I think in fact actually be an advantage to me anyway as according to my gear ratio calculations there is a small difference and I need every legal improvement I can get. So,, I am now looking to buy an RS5F41A box with driveshafts, flywheel, clutch and box mounts, or I have a good condition low mileage spare RS5F30A or 1275 gearbox with shafts etc I would be happy to swap. Thanks for all your information guys.

I am in Hastings area but willing to travel.
The Micra K11 is now getting closer to the Mini in Autograss racing as drivers find the little" tweeks" that the rule book will find hard to regulate, in my opinion a restrictor plate say 28 MM beneath the throttle body is the only to get a" level playing field". If the Micra was to eventually dominate the Autograss class one then the restrictor plate could be reduced a little, or even enlarged if the Micra was lagging. But The Toyota Yaris in class one may change everything.Be interesting to see the Micra versus the Yaris battle evolve, but back to your present dilemma , why not buy a complete Micra with the correct transmission in it ( + flywheel ETC) I see them on EBay for very mall money.

Yeah I'm with frank they probably thought they all same box pre 2000, i have not had a problem with hitting the limiter like others have so not really looked into it much (will be looking into the lighter flywheel etc tho :) ) sure you guys will know more about this but i thought there were 3 different boxes pre-coil, not a clue on code/ratios tho

the lighter the better glen :) here,s the throttle response with no flywheel or clutch fitted
and there,s a ratio thread on here today :)

Yeah just didn't realise there were lighter bits on certain cars will search the threads, loving that vid frank wow is all i can say

Do not forget the the "RULE BOOK" it says " if the rules does not say you can something then you can not " so juggling parts from different years/Jap imports etc. is a no no,the rules are aimed towards a road going Micra without the glass and trim and fitted with a roll cage +other NASA safety items like fuel tank and enclosed battery+ master switch.A standard car !!!! "shock horror" in Autograss theres 9 other classes to accommodate money spending, and innovative engineering drivers.I am aware of the different gearboxes in later Micras , its easier to buy the correct Micra and save the trouble sourcing the extra bits to make the car legal.

I haven't forgotten the rule book which is why I am asking the questions. It is stated clearly in the rules that any Nissan Micra 998cc 16 valve manual transmission engine and gearbox may be used in any 1993 to 1999 year of Nissan Micra 998cc 16 valve 3 or 5 door bodyshell. The donor car must be of a build date manufactured after 1st January 1993 and before 1st January 2000. Now all this is fine so far however, further to this in the section that covers transmission it clearly states the type and ratios of the gearbox, which is the early type. I appreciate NASA may have thought this was the only type gearbox fitted to that car at the time of writing the rule book but until they amend this section I have no choice other than fit the listed gear box. With the lower ratios I have in the later type gearbox which incidentally my car is factory standard and as it was made, some people may complain that I have an advantage in acceleration and pick up out of the corners. One of the main reasons we chose this sport and chose to use a Nissan over a Mini is because I have a very tight budget and wanted reliability. I bought the latest best condition Micra I could afford to support this, the last thing I want to do is spend loads of time and money swapping parts but equally I don't want to loose out on good results and get in trouble for cheating. In 2012 when our car was prepared, I didn't know there were different boxes and ratios, its only since the problem of hitting the rev limiter was noticed I started to look into it and as all I want to do is stick to the rules, there lays the problem. I guess the proper thing to do is contact NASA.

Technicalt...I agree with what you are saying bud, but when you need parts, new engine, because 2 of us have been hammering it all season (14 meetings last year) and other bits what are you suppose to do? Surely the cost effect way is to go and get parts for A nissan micra not search for parts with the same model no. Im not having a go here but i thought this site was to help people with problems and performance not to talk NASA rules, thats up to the person asking the question whether to look if its legal. These guys here can make your Micra go like sh** of a shovel but then its up to you to see if you can do that in the motorsport you in :)

Thanks Glen, I just sent said email to NASA and will post relevant info as and when I get it, thanks everyone else for you comments and in the spirit of the old Cherry Turbo Club I once was a member of way back when, KEEP THE RICE BURNING!

Yes good point about this site been Micra and not NASA, rules my bad.Hope you get some clarification, I have learned a lot of very interesting things on this forum both on the K10 and now the k11 , thanks to the posters both road and Motorsport . Keep up[ the good work .

Yeah these guys on here are spot on with advice and what not, when i went to rolling road i mentioned that i get advice/help off a website, he told me not to bother with online crap, my reply was "one guy on this so called crap website (frank and I'm sure theres others) would have had this problem solved in his f***ing sleep :)

Chris evens micra comes back to life !!!

The yellow one 2.0 16v !!! yes it is a Nissan engine that is fitted in the car. outstanding little car.