New owner

Hi! I am about to replace my K11 with K13, it is arriving soon from Japan and i have a general question about the engine oil and changing intervals. The owners manual says 5w30 every 10 000km or 6 months and it seems to me very short intervals. Also my mechanic suggestion is that 5w30 is for more cool climate and it is recommended by ecological reasons. For our climate he recommends 5w40 every 15 000km or one year. I live in Cyprus and the coldest weather is in the winter mornings (about 6-7 C) for about 2 months, up to 43-44 C in the summer. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Thanks!

Guarantee Warranty and Maintenance Procedures – Nissan

For Nissan warranty to apply, its terms and conditions must be met by the customer (in the UK).
That means get it serviced at Nissan dealers on schedule. Specifying other oil grades/materials using a local mechanic is non-compliance by the customer. That gives the dealer an excuse not to honour its warranty, as customer has not complied with the terms and conditions.

The K 13 Micra has proved troublesome, multiplied by dealers lacking enthusiasm to help customers with warranty claims in the UK. You may need to make numerous warranty claims for repairs on your K 13 in Cyprus due to arduous road conditions and environment where a more rugged vehicle would be durable longer term.

Used vehicles that no longer meet Japan’s high standards of exhaust emissions testing are rejected and exported to right-hand drive markets, that drive on the left, where environmental standards are disregarded.

Manufactured and assembled in India for the European market, non-fabricated in Japan as you imply. Other assembly plants are in Thailand, China and Mexico, non-in Japan. What made you think it was manufactured in Japan?

Reference; http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k13-2010/

Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
N
I didn't say it is manufactured in Japan. I am importing it from Japan, it is manufactured in March 2011, so i don't think its under warranty anymore.

I didn't say it is manufactured in Japan. I am importing it from Japan, it is manufactured in March 2011, so i don't think its under warranty anymore.

Importing and supplying dealer would normally have a warranty and legal responsibility to ensure that the item was fit for purpose complying to European Union type approval standards and laws?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N
Warranty of the supplier does not include service. So my choices are Nissan Cyprus or independent garage, that's why i asked the question about the oil, in case i choose independent garage recommendation is 5w40 every 15 000km. I was just wandering what the members of the forum opinion is.

Warranty of the supplier does not include service. So my choices are Nissan Cyprus or independent garage, that's why i asked the question about the oil, in case i choose independent garage recommendation is 5w40 every 15 000km. I was just wandering what the members of the forum opinion is.

Yes you are correct, warranty does not include service. However supplying dealer warranty and fit for purpose EU law dealer responsibility is invariably dependent upon compliance with Nissan standards of maintenance schedules, materials and procedures.

Ask Nissan Cyprus! They are most familiar with the optimum maintenance materials/procedures required to cope with local arduous semi-tropical conditions and environment. To contradict them would be capricious as you will need a long term relationship with Nissan Cyprus to cope with technical faults and recalls invariably ongoing.

The manual may not be applicable or tailored to Cyprus conditions, when applied to a Japanese market specification vehicle, manufactured in China, imported into Cyprus;~ a market for which it was not specified or adapted? Forum opinions will be numerous, various and therefore meaningless compared to Nissan’s. Nissan Cyprus should have the last word and be entrusted with the maintenance, if possible, to get the best long term use out of the vehicle.

To do otherwise, you pay your money and takes your chances! Good luck!

Hello Niko! Welcome to the forum! I'm also in Cyprus and I used to own 2 micras. Now I have only one, the silver one. The oil change is made at 15000 km, along with the service. I do it at Nissan dealer due to the warranty and it costs around 160 Euros. They change the filters, oil and they do the required maintenance. I used to do the service in Nicosia, but now I took it in Limassol and found that they offer a better service and they do it faster and cleaner also.

I'll check the manual in the evening and I will tell you the oil type that is recommended. Usually summer time oil will work.
Please note that being a small engine car you will feel the bad quality fuel so I would advise you to fill up from good ESSO fuel stations (not all are good, but you will feel as the fuel consumption will decrease and the car will drive better)
Also for the first service is better to take it at Nissan as there is a recall of the CVT Transmission and they offer a new ECU reflash to fix the problem. The car will become much more economic and it will drive much better. (if you have a CVT)
If you have any questions, I'll be glad to assist.

Kind regards,
Adrian

OP
OP
N
Thanks Adrian! Probably I will try Nissan Larnaca for the first service because of this recall and because it is closer to where I live, in Protaras. Anyway I am not sure if this recall has been done, it could be. I have to wait the car to arrive to see, hopefully I will have service information and up to date service book.

I'm not sure if this is something that they will write in the service books, as they never did it in any dealer in Cyprus. All they give it's the small "ticket" where they write the kms for the next service and the date and the receipts that I payed with the analytic description of the items they've changed. You will notice if they did the recall flashing based on how the CVT will act. When you'll accelerate a bit harder, the RPMs should not rise at 5-6K without a proper acceleration. This is what used to be on mine. Now on hard acceleration it still goes to high RPMs but the car is pulling.
Here is the oil chart from the manual. They recommend 5w-30. The 5w30 is thinner (weights less) than the 5w40. What that means it's that in hot weather the 30 will be thinner and will act better in this small engine car where the clearances are small and will produce less drag, therefore less fuel consumption and a freer engine.
If you have FB, you can find me there also: fb.com/antrian

Kind regards,
Adrian
oil.jpg