New micra owner (who's surprised)

Hey all,
well i'm paul and i'm 16. I've just grabbed a nissan micra 1.2 for my first car (as i'm not far off turning 17) and i'm impressed with how quick it is for a 1.2, so well done again nissan!

Anyway, i want to know what can be done to make it faster. I know your all probably going to say leave it a grannies car for the first year but it's just not happening! :)

First 2 major things i want sorted are some 15" alloys and a lowering spring kit. Oh and an exhaust, but if all goes to plan a backbox should be sorted in the next few days.

So what can i do to get more power from it? I really like the idea of turbo'ing it in the future, though probably not this early into owning it.

So like i said, thats me saying hello, and any help appreciated :)

PS> any bodykits or anything available? The stock looks could do with a sprucing up :)

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
hello n welcome,

ritey then if your looking for power the first place to look really id the inlet system as this is known as being very restrictive on the k10, if you can get hold of an uprated carb/manifold system then you'll see alot more horses. have a look at speedles blog he's been running bike carbs and is now on twin webbers with a 4-2-1 and he's getting 0-60 in 8seconds and that beast is on 15" lenso's stunnin!. uprated inlet systems do come up occasionaly so keep an eye out. same goes with kits, theres the ss kit and the faoh kit, if you look around you'll find pics of them.

thanks, i'll look into some carbs sometime. It won't be happening too soon as i want to get the wheels and stance sorted first. I read speedle got some shocks and springs for £150 so i'd be interested in them for that price (springs alone are £74 delivered). Wheels are undecided but i definitely want 15 inch. I've found some i like which come with 195/35/15 tires, with a -35mm drop would they rub at all?

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
well get ya self on ebay as there's a pair of brand new kyb gas front shocks going cheap with no reserve. best place to go is buypartsby.com

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
To fit the 15's and lowering springs, i believe you will have to do some arch modifications! Like roll them or something. But im only speaking from what ive heard on here.

Where abouts you live? Only ask because if your looking for a bodykit, ive got a FOAH kit thats up for sale atm. Got a link somewhere....

Found it:
http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=18647

Ems

Ex. Club Member
Welcome to the MSC. :)

There's plenty of info floating around the site so have a good goocy around!!

Found the shocks, now in my fleabay.

As for the bodykit, i'm not really sure tbh. I don't have £140 and if i did i'd prefer to spend it on some springs and shocks at the moment. However, i am interested in the spoiler. How much do you want for it and postage?

PS> Also, i already have some sideskirts to go on too. Does anyone reckon rover 100 bumpers are a near enough fit? I'm going to do some quick measuring tomorrow but i have a pair of rover 100 bumpers sitting on a... you guessed it, rover 100. No offence to micra owners but the front one looks a zillion times better than the micra one =) And the back one may well be lower... especially when i'm done =)

PeteST24

Ex. Club Member
Hello and welcome. I like your enthusiasm with the car mod :)

But I dont mean to burst your bubble but have you thought about insurance? You do realise you will have to declare all these mods to have a valid insurance policy and not many will insure you with mods because of age (been there before). If someone does be prepared for a hefty price. :(

In your position I would look at doing some smaller less expensive mods like the air filter and maybe back box. Bodykit will probably cause problems with insurance companies.

Sorry to go on but just think about it before you spend £££ on the car only to find no one will insure you.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
www.quinn-direct.com they don't mind with most modifications, mainly if you lower the car they will bump the price up! but with alloys and stuff, as long as there not worth about £1000, then they don't put your price up.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
welcome aboard chap!

if you want cheap shocks and springs goto www.buypartsbuy.com top chaps top quality cheap as chips!

as for power how much power do you want? theres alot you can do these days with the k10 thanks to lots of members pushing the limits, but most of the time these bits dont come cheap. keep an eye on the buy and sell and ebay for carbs and inlets. were lucky that we have a memeber who races k10's on autograss and he is often selling performance parts so once again eyes peeled

post up some pics of your car too!

15" and Lowering

I think that you could get away with 15" alloys and lowering by -35mm as i have 17" alloys on with no rubbing atall other than Sometimes if i rag it into a parking space i get alittle rub on the plastic inside the front wheel arch but thats rubber on plastic so im not to worried about and looking atJames Betley's Micra on 15" i cant see a problem really but that my opinion and there are alot of guys here doing this stuff for longer so they will know better, all i know is that my alloys are 17" and with rolling the archs they fit.

Click to see my Alloys

Hi,
as i'm going on my dads insurance, it will be reduced a bit. Besides, i just want to play with the car. Even if i have to bang around in a 1 litre nova because it's all i can afford i'll still play with the micra.

on buypartsby, is it the KYB gas shocks i should be looking at? Am i right in thinking they don't come with springs?

And how on earth did you fit 17's under a micra's arch! I thought 15 would be the limit, maybe 16 if i didn't ower it! 'spect to you ;) Admitedly though i don't like the wheels themselves :(

curtis

Ex. Club Member
ha if your going with direct line, becuase named drivers get there own no claims discount......BEWARE this isn't as good as it seems!

not sure who i'll go with yet. It's one of those when the time comes things ;)

Does anyone know how much this rear splitter of a nissan ZX coupe would cost from nissan, if it's available. Its a 1989 ish part, i only want the splitter. one went in the scrapyard today and i was trying to persuade them to let me take it off but they just wouldn't do it.:

7c4f_1.JPG

I think it'd look good on a micra myself. Also, my micra has 5 gears (6 including reverse for the smart arses), but i thought they were supposed to be 4, is this rare or something?

you got me on that one..

Hi and welcome Mate!!!

Theres tonnes of super heroes on this forum....welcome to the team!!

:)

DRIVE-SAFE and HAPPY MODDING!!!!

hi,
thanks. i'm debating keeping the micra just as a run around instead of going over the top with it now, and doing a second car as my fast car. I know it sounds gay but i'd like to get my hands on a cheap volvo 940 with good bodywork and a shagged engine. Why? I have a rather mint 2.3 volvo engine sitting in my garage :D

James

Chairman
not sure who i'll go with yet. It's one of those when the time comes things ;)

Does anyone know how much this rear splitter of a nissan ZX coupe would cost from nissan, if it's available. Its a 1989 ish part, i only want the splitter. one went in the scrapyard today and i was trying to persuade them to let me take it off but they just wouldn't do it.:

7c4f_1.JPG

I think it'd look good on a micra myself. Also, my micra has 5 gears (6 including reverse for the smart arses), but i thought they were supposed to be 4, is this rare or something?
I. Want. That. Whole. Car. lol

Any idea what happened to it?

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
www.quinn-direct.com they don't mind with most modifications, mainly if you lower the car they will bump the price up! but with alloys and stuff, as long as there not worth about £1000, then they don't put your price up.

i got a qoute from quinn for £2300! without mods claimed! they are good with mods i'll give em that, only went up £200 with mods claimed but thats still £2500 its just silly.

The ZX coupe is still on eBay as far as i'm aware. That's not me advertising by the way as i'm not the one selling the car, i was looking for the model so hopefully someone could get me a part number for that splitter.

The car was going cheap, last i saw i think it was £107. 1 day or so left. It's a shame one went in the scrapyard today :( And to think, that multimillion company wouldn't let me have that splitter off it, when they don't even earn anything from the plastics! Well actually i'd have had the front, back and side splitters off it if i'd been allowed but still!

Also, can anyone confirm if my 5 speed manual box is rare or not? As i said i thought they were all 4 speeds! Maybe it's because it's a late one (1991)?

.kiz

Buy & Sell Member
not really, almost all the later models of 10 micra im pretty sure they have a 5 speed gearbox.
i know mine has one too :p, just means its nicer to drive down the ole motorway.
i try to keep the outside of mine as standard as possible because im happy enough as it is, i try to focus on the inside, as you cant see the outside when driving

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
Also, can anyone confirm if my 5 speed manual box is rare or not? As i said i thought they were all 4 speeds! Maybe it's because it's a late one (1991)?

i believe it varies dependant on model/engine size! ive got a 1991 LS and its 4 speed. From what ive read, with four speed you get the better acceleration. But i think th 5 speed will put less strain on the engine when driving on motorways/at high speeds. And Arnold and Ems apparently tested the fuel difference once when they both had k10's (i think) and there werent much difference on a long journey in fuel between the 4 speed and the 5 speed.

frank

Club Member
i think the 4 speed k10,s have a lower compression ratio, so they could run on 2 star, and the 5 speed has the same part number as the early k11,s (RS5F41A)

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
i think the 4 speed k10,s have a lower compression ratio, so they could run on 2 star, and the 5 speed has the same part number as the early k11,s (RS5F41A)

huh? i thought the compression ratio was the same 4-5 speed? a 4 speed can be replaced with the 5 speed, and i've seen somewhere on here that the k11 box will fit snug aswell, has this ever been tried tho, would be a break through if someone found the solution to the weak gearbox would meen 100+ bhp without the gearbox going every 5 mins

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
is think the 1.2's have a lower compression ratio of 9.0:1 as opposed to 1.0's and super s's 9.5:1.

other way round i think 1.0 has the lower compresion ratio and the 1.2 and ss have the higher. the 1.2 and ss is the same engine, they both use the ma12 lump the ss just has a more advanced ignition, which left standard actualy slows the car down... i think not %100 sure without my haynes

some interesting info there.

Haha i'd put the volvo engine in, but it's only 135bhp being a non turbo one. with the hassle of fitting (due to size plus its a RWD engine) and the amazing extra weight i'd probably do better to turbo my 1.2 or drop an SR20DET in. even the 2.3 turbo volvo engines only do 180bhpish

Or in a few years, an SR20DET. Be so much easier =) Has ANYONE finished one of these yet?

Anyoen got any stats and any comments about them? How good are they with corners as i'm assuming the extra weight doesn't go down to well. Well the front of the car goes down well, but it overall doesn't go down well with my intentions of living to see anotehr corner =)

just pop a veyron angine in it, see how fast it goes then

I'm pretty sure the engine would be wider than the car haha. Besides is it not the veyrons where the engine is molded to the chassis so its considered part of the chassis, as well as adding extra strength?