New members saying 'Hi', and a question.....

Shirl&Mart

Ex. Club Member
'Evening all from Shirl&Mart.
New here - literally just joined the club. Quick intro, and a question.
(Shirl) - had a red Mark 1 Micra Loved it, especially the radio, but had to say goodbye a few years ago. Wanted a Figaro (and still do) but we've got to get something else in the meanwhile. We were wondering...

(Mart) - we're bidding on a C+C on eBay, and would like to know what questions we should ask the seller, beyone what's in the description (MOT date, previous owners, paintwork condition) - in particular, are there any common faults, or recalls that we should check for? We will be giving it a good eyeball and test drive if our bid wins, of course; this is just stuff that could be answered pre-sale.

Also not certain if this is the best one of the forums to ask this, but it doesn't really fit any of the "Buying and Selling" categories exactly.

Thanks in advance to all you experts out there!
M and S

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Welcome guys,

I don't know much about the K12 so might be worth having a look around the K12 sections and searching about to see what information you can dig up. I think there was a recall of some sort but can't remember why.

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Welcome M & S :). Not a lot to keep an eye out really on a 1.6 K12. Rear wheel bearings are made of cheese so any loud rent-a-ghost noises from the rear corners are worth checking out. Boot door has a habit of half unlocking on it's own (Renault electrics...). Some people have reported power steering faults which are incredibly expensive to fix but mine's been good so far. Tyres are big (185/50 16) and there's a debate on what's best. Kuhmo are ~£60 fitted but are noisy and a bit rumbly and the grip isn't class leading. Toyo Proxes T1-R are awesomely good at around £100 per corner fitted: any other brand at this size are £130+ fitted a corner :(. My website shows how to do alot of jobs yourself (and is soon to include inner tie rod replacement) if you're of a practical bent and don't like handing tour hard earned to Nissan :).

OP
OP
S

Shirl&Mart

Ex. Club Member
Welcome M & S :). Not a lot to keep an eye out really on a 1.6 K12. Rear wheel bearings are made of cheese so any loud rent-a-ghost noises from the rear corners are worth checking out. Boot door has a habit of half unlocking on it's own (Renault electrics...). Some people have reported power steering faults which are incredibly expensive to fix but mine's been good so far. Tyres are big (185/50 16) and there's a debate on what's best. Kuhmo are ~£60 fitted but are noisy and a bit rumbly and the grip isn't class leading. Toyo Proxes T1-R are awesomely good at around £100 per corner fitted: any other brand at this size are £130+ fitted a corner :(. My website shows how to do alot of jobs yourself (and is soon to include inner tie rod replacement) if you're of a practical bent and don't like handing tour hard earned to Nissan :).
Excellent stuff, thanks Guy, just what I was after... and sounds like there's not really much bad news.
Reading your website frontpage, can a squeeze a quick follow-on about K12s without going too off topic? After your note about doing jobs yourself - Just changed a front nearside parking light bulb in our 1996-vintage Mazda Bonga: 4 minutes and 75p; same thing last year in S's same-year Vaux Corsa - 30 minutes and lots of hastle. Please tell me the Micra is more like the Mazda than the Vaux for, say, that job - is it, in your experience?
Cheers, M.

postscript: Car we're bidding on has two new rubber rings on the back, so sorted that for now. Ta