New member with fuel pump issue

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie here, with a 1999 Nissan Micra K11.

I have owned the car for 6 year and never had a single problem until last night.

Whilst driving home from work on the A4 from Heathrow, I went through a small puddle which I couldn't aviod, and within a few seconds my car cut out. After a 3 hour wait for recovery, I was informed by the technician that he suspected the fuel pump had gone. He also told me it would proabably cost in the region of £200 to fix.

Is this a common things with the K11 Micra? I feel it's more of an electrical fault, due to the car going through a puddle.
Is there any advice anyone could give me? I don't mind spending the £200 but I'm not sure it's worth fixing due to the age etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Sonny

OP
OP
Sonny83
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your answers.

The car simply isn't starting when I turn the key, however, there is a very strong smell of petrol.

I am going on the advice of the recovery guys that the fuel pump has gone. I have no idea how to change one but will ask around for some help.

Thanks again

I would be disconnecting the fuel line where it attaches to the injector rail and pointing it into a bucket while someone turns the engine over to see if fuel pumps out. If not, then reconnect the fuel line, get in the car pull up the rear seat bench, undo the three screws to remove the inspection cover, and get your assistant to turn the engine over again while you listen for the fuel pump spinning. If no sound, pull the connectors off, spray with wd40 connect/unplug them a few times and try agin to start the car. If still nothing ( and assuming fuel pump fuse and relay are good ) you may need to replace the pump, a fairly simple job.

I would be disconnecting the fuel line where it attaches to the injector rail and pointing it into a bucket while someone turns the engine over to see if fuel pumps out. If not, then reconnect the fuel line, get in the car pull up the rear seat bench, undo the three screws to remove the inspection cover, and get your assistant to turn the engine over again while you listen for the fuel pump spinning. If no sound, pull the connectors off, spray with wd40 connect/unplug them a few times and try agin to start the car. If still nothing ( and assuming fuel pump fuse and relay are good ) you may need to replace the pump, a fairly simple job.
First class reply there Steve.....cheers for all the members.:)

Another newbie here with a k11 fuel p/p problem. Only joined today, so not sure if can post this yet.
Read problem from Sonny83. As there is a strong smell of petrol when you turn the key, was wondering if you could have
fractured a fuel line underneath the car when you went through the puddle - just a thought?

Could anyone help me with my problem?
It's a 2000 model k11 micra, cranks ok but won't start. (35000 miles). Pulled a spark plug and found no fuel evident.
Removed output hose from fuel filter- tried again to start- no petrol at all coming out of it. (tank reads 1/3 full).

Went to the fuel pump and did some electrical checks there. (The rear bench seat was a pig to remove)!
With the fuel pump connected, no voltage reaches it at all on putting the ignition switch to ON.
Same test with it disconnected, get 12.7V from its supply plug for about 5 seconds, which coincides with the sound of a relay.

The Haynes manual states that the fuel pump resistance should be about 0.5 ohms. Mine reads more like 700 ohms.
This is with the supply plug disconnected.

Am considering possibly the ECU is programmed to check the fuel pump, (resistance) , before applying power,
and if out of spec., it doesn't send any voltage at all. But if disconnected it will supply power for 5 seconds to prime.

Thinking - could unplug power plug to pump, and apply a 12Vdc source to it directly, just for a second to see if it works.
If not, then I guess I need a replacement.

Question - In my Haynes manual- can't see how the fuel pump relay can work.
Its energising coil is fed from the ignition switch, via a fuse, (positive line), to BOTH sides of its coil. (BR).
One side of the coil must surely go to ground (-ve) supply. Must be a mistake on the schematics.

Any assistance from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.
(The car has been laid up for 6 months, and was wondering if that might have anything to do with the problem).

Regards to all on the site.

africanbob.

Went looking for an iirc in the manual, and on the Net. Felt a right clot when discovered it stands for (if I remember correctly)!
The black wire of the pump is permanently strapped down to chassis/earth- checked and no probs there.
The (+ve) feed should come from pin 108 on the ECU, via the pump relay, as and when the ECU decides ok to do so.

Agree with you about the 5 second thing- It coincides with the airbag self-test relay clicking, and dash warning light goes out.

Thanks for the reply, but is still a "work in progress" for the time being.

Bob.

for your issue I would try removing the fuel pump from the car and testing it directly from the battery, it sounds like the problem could be the fuel pump itself and this would confirm the issue

If the fuel pump works then you know it must be an issue with the wiring/ECU/relay/ground/etc
If the pump doesn't work, then you have found your issue

I wouldn't advise leaving the fuel pump in place while connecting it to a battery, the spark created could cause a fire in the enclosed space