New Job

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Well i found out on wednesday that i'm getting paid off from my engineering firm. Luckily though im getting my lines so it means that as of october i'll be a time served engineer...at the age of 19(Y)
But anyway, the missus' dad says hes got a mechanic job lined up for me from one of his mates who is buying a garage. Now i love cars, like im sure all of you will. But i know only the basics at the most. Ive always wanted to be a mechanic.
But the question im asking is...is it better to do a job that you love but earn a very low wage or go back to engineering that i hate but earn more money than i though i ever could.
Some might think its a stupid question but im in 2 minds about where to go next.

Cheers(Y)

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Ive heard from boys in the college who are mechanics that as you love cars when you start, youl start to sort of associate them with work and hate working on your own car. But the money id save working on my own car and could get build it upto greatness. But then if im an engineer, say on the rigs, then id be earning enough money to buy a powerful car as standard. This is a proper pickle

mate tbh if u love cars and working on your own car is a hobby, then i would keep it at that.
working on them 9-5 on a pretty crap wage will soon get the better of you and you'll slowly start hating it and not wanting to work on your own.

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Yeah but the thing being, i only know so much about cars. Looking at some of the blogs on here and theres some incredible stuff being done by people who arent mechanics. I understand that you only learn by investigating and doing the job yourself, but i really cant afford to try something and end up ruining the car. How did you all learn how to do things like engine changes and stuff like that. Another downfall is none of my mates can drive and im the only one that loves cars so theres no-one that i can learn these things from. Unless i go on the rigs and maybe do night classes at college when im on shore.

could u buy say a 200 quid car and play around with that?
thats what haynes manuals are for :)
your onto a very good job at the moment, i know i wouldn't want to give it up.

Alexx117

STI
Club Member
maybe become a mechanic for a while and learn what you need to learn then proceed with what you want from there?