New car ideas!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Right well I think the time has come to upgrade the Corsa! She's served me well, but I think I've ragged it once too often and she's starting to struggle a bit, leaking oil, taking forever to warm up and generally is just a bit crap.

I'm thinking now of getting something 4 wheel drive, with all the luxuries & comforts, a few more HP, maybe a convertible? something like an Audi A3 or similar, and probably a diesel.

So.. what are your suggestions!? I probably wouldn't want to spend more than a few grand, as i'm still planning on keeping the Glanza, which costs an arm and a leg to insure/run.

James

Chairman
A3 Quattro TDI's aren't very cheap, is 4WD a necessity around Sussex? ;) the same goes for diesel convertibles.

Anything TDI would be pretty reliable tbh, I've been looking at Bora and Passat 1.9TDI 130s, they chip up pretty easily

mike

I love Ed!!!!
A fabia vRS or a Ibiza with the 1.9TDi in 130 hp form will put a big enough grin on your face.

I still miss my vRS

Mike

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
So maybe I don't need 4WD, but or a convertible but definitely would like an upgrade. Ibiza not a bad choice, I just had a quick look for TDI on pistonheads and saw a nice 4 door golf GTI so might have a look around for those too!

Kris C

Ex. Club Member
Ibiza FR TDi wins it for me, expensive but better than a Golf and with a chip can pull nearly 60 mpg on motorways, win win.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Quite expensive! And GTI badges on a GT TDI :| lol

Just been reading up on it. Apparently dealers like to fiddle the badges. A quick check suggests this car is infact a 130hp model not a 150. Glasses guide also says it's value should be £2400!

James

Chairman
Yeah, this is the only downside with the TDI, there's umpteen variations.

Off the top of my head you get a 90, a 110, a 115, a 130, and a 150bhp version!

Personally I'd go for the 130 PD engine, I've heard the 150 one is susceptible to camshaft wear.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah i was looking for the 150 due to lots of other factors involved, stronger internals, better handling. I guess there's pros and cons to both, but people on the Golf forums recommended the 150. Still not decided though, going to look at Ibizas too.

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
If i had the Glanza (or anything else) as a toy and a decent wedge to splash i'd be buying an E-class wagon. Something like this, this. Some ride height assistance and cooler wheels and that would make it my own personal epic daily.

Of course I am quite old and have been known to venture out of the house wearing a flat cap.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
If i had the Glanza (or anything else) as a toy and a decent wedge to splash i'd be buying an E-class wagon. Something like this, this. Some ride height assistance and cooler wheels and that would make it my own personal epic daily.

Of course I am quite old and have been known to venture out of the house wearing a flat cap.

I can't view ebay at so will check that out later :)

James

Chairman
The 320 CDI engine is a pretty sweet engine, I'm tempted by Merc bargeness, but they're just out of my price range really!

As for the Ibiza's, Andy's girlfriend had an FR 130PD and for the size of car it was blummin rapid!

Eliot

Ex Super S Owner
A fabia vRS or a Ibiza with the 1.9TDi in 130 hp form will put a big enough grin on your face.

I still miss my vRS

Mike
Ibiza FR TDi wins it for me, expensive but better than a Golf and with a chip can pull nearly 60 mpg on motorways, win win.

My brother has a Fabia VRS, brilliant car, looks great, reliable and very nippy aswell

My other brother has a Ibiza TDI Cupra,(the one up from the FR) its exactly the same engine thats in the fabia VRS, but with with a bigger turbo, inter-cooler etc its makes 160 BHP, (think I'm right in saying its the most powerful 1.9 hatchback they do) pretty quick and has very good fuel consumption. I would definetley recommend either of these two.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Cheers for that, not many Ibiza TDI cars on Pistonheads (around my way) but will keep an eye open. I a few i just saw said they had 130bhp, so i'm guessing they had various different engines like the Golf did.

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
I had a 115bhp GT TDI MkIV golf before the K10 (logical progression I know) and it was impressive enough. the 150 is defo overkill and good luck trying to find one thats not been ragged. Hear what you're saying on the badges being fiddled. Mine was badged up as a 130bhp. Quick check on an insurance comparison site will tell you what it is. For my money if you're going for a MKIV TDI i'd go for a nice granny owned 115bhp. You can also find them with reasonable mileage.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
My need for another car increased today as my Corsas engine lost a cylinder or two, and it only had three to start with! It wont go above 20mph and sounds like an old VW beetle. Really burbly and just crap. Will have a look tomorrow night, it could be a simple fix.
I had a 115bhp GT TDI MkIV golf before the K10 (logical progression I know) and it was impressive enough. the 150 is defo overkill and good luck trying to find one thats not been ragged. Hear what you're saying on the badges being fiddled. Mine was badged up as a 130bhp. Quick check on an insurance comparison site will tell you what it is. For my money if you're going for a MKIV TDI i'd go for a nice granny owned 115bhp. You can also find them with reasonable mileage.
Is it easy to tell which ones have 115hp? cos of the dodgy badges and stuff?
LOL, that's probably more reliable than the Corsa.. better looking too!
Right just to be different, how about a t180 Rav4
Never had a Rav4 down as a economic yet sporty type car. What's so great about the T180 model? I'm gonna look it up now anyway :)

Hugh

170bhp diesel which is fairy economical, 2 / 4 wheel drive when selected. Plus a ton of space if you have to carry kit. Why not go test drive one and see what you think.

I have to recommend the fabia vrs, plenty available at great prices, some with lovely looking mods. Atleast go and test drive one