New Car! Glanza V Turbo.. :)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Right.. I know I KEEP changing my mind on this, however I now think I've come up with the perfect car for me and it's a Glanza V Turbo.

They're more affordable than a lot of the other sporty cars out there and the insurance is cheaper than skylines and such. They're also smaller, and convenient to park where I live, and can only assume running costs will be cheaper than any of the other alternatives i looked at, pulsars, RX-7's, etc.

So. Does anyone know anything about them? I know Kev does and i've sent him a PM, but anyone else got any experience with them at all :) When i saw Kev's at JAE and the midlands meet, i really wanted it :)

I went on the toyota forums but there were loads of newbie like posts with questions that were unanswered, so i'm not sure what to look for on them etc.

Right.. I know I KEEP changing my mind on this, however I now think I've come up with the perfect car for me and it's a Glanza V Turbo.

They're more affordable than a lot of the other sporty cars out there and the insurance is cheaper than skylines and such. They're also smaller, and convenient to park where I live, and can only assume running costs will be cheaper than any of the other alternatives i looked at, pulsars, RX-7's, etc.

So. Does anyone know anything about them? I know Kev does and i've sent him a PM, but anyone else got any experience with them at all :) When i saw Kev's at JAE and the midlands meet, i really wanted it :)

I went on the toyota forums but there were loads of newbie like posts with questions that were unanswered, so i'm not sure what to look for on them etc.

i have alot of friends who own them, there fun yes but if i was gonna spend 3500 on a car id want something a bit bigger...and the police love them, my friend had 1 regestered as a gls and he got it taken away and crushed, also they love sending a mechanic out to check em in accidents my m8 had a standard 1 just uped the psi on the turbo and they wouldnt pay coz he didnt declair it :(

I'd agree with the cost thing, I hate to say it but you can get a lot more bang for your buck for £3.5k (135bhp stock), that being said they are gorgeous cars!

ARRRRGH don't make me reconsider lol. I know bang for buck they probably aren't the best, but they're really nice looking & have electric everything, and still potential for tuning maybe, although i know Kev hasn't had too much success with his yet. I just don't think I can afford an RX-7, which is the next car on my list.

What sort of size are you looking for?

How about in Nissan terms to give me an idea: Micra, Almera, 200SX or Primera size?

I can't comment on the Glanza, but it should be very simillar to my GT.

I have nothing but praise, parts are easy to come by on the owners websites (theres a lot imported now), they're an awesome sleeper car as there a still a lot of people who don't know about them.
The boost is addictive, seriously so! With decent rubber they handle pretty well as as standard, and are pretty flat through corners, with an uprated suspension etc they are apparently like go karts.

And for pretty cheap you can get around 210-220 out of the standard engine with no real drama, that should be easily getting you lower 6 and possibly high 5 0-60 times.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34351

Thats a guide on a well balanced 200hp, brakes, chassis etc...

I'd agree with the cost thing, I hate to say it but you can get a lot more bang for your buck for £3.5k (135bhp stock), that being said they are gorgeous cars!

You can but the starlet are bomb proof and other bigger cars just are not at the best of times,I had a 95 gt starlet(quad lamps)running 1bar boost for 2years,serviced every 5k km,never let me down

yeah they arent that hot standard. My Almera would run rings around one all day! modded are fun though. Don't expect change from 3k on mods to see 200bhp... If all the parts are new. 2nd hand is still gonna cost a lot. Mine was very quick, very fun. I could leave 11's at 70mph :]

Arnold, I know these well worked on /tuned loads now. Engines are good for 200bhp stock, Plenty of parts available for them its a good choice of car :)

Hi Alan,

I'll post up some more comments when I get chance.

I think a car like the glanza is a good move, if you go for anything bigger such as the other jap imports you have been talking about your insurance premium is going to be massive.

It's a good car to move up to and then onto something bigger a few years down the line.

I'll post up more tomorrow.

Kev

The stats i read on the almera GTI quote 0-60 as 8 seconds, the Starlet/Glanza is (supposedly) 6.8 standard, i find mine to be around 7.5. But unless i'm looking at the wrong model of Almera its not going to run rings around it...

hmm where to start,

Well I would look for either a good solid 1996 or the facelift version from 1997 to 1999, these are harder to come by and can be considerably more then the 1996.

Differences are crystal fog lights, front bumper revisions, clear more modern rear lights, recaro seats and slight differences in trim, dash etc.

Price for a good standard Glanza can vary, but anything between 3.5-4.0k will get you a 1996. Anything from 4.5-5.5k will get you a good 1997 onwards.

Usually no problems with rust as they are all imports, I've had mine a couple of years and other then a stone chip creating a chip that's rusted a little on the roof, there is no rust to speak of, not bad for a 13 year old car

What to look for, well if you play it safe and buy a standard one then pretty much the norm for buying any car, if it's modified straight from jap land, then check over the engine bay and electrics, the japs aren't always great with their wiring, this isn't necessarily a sign of poor ownership, but you can see if things have been played about with.

If you get one from straight from Japan or through a import garage, sometimes fresh imports can have hidden goodies, check behind the glove box for an aftermarket ecu, if they say it has one, this is a must check.

Double din stereo slot, I know you like your audio :p

In terms of the standard performance 133bhp as standard 6.8 0-60, simple high / low boost switch will eliminate low boost in first and second and it's a whole different car completely. They are limited to a 110 mph, but this can be removed if you wanted to. They have a 35 litre tank and I can usually get around 250-275 miles from a full tank. As an everyday car they are fine, servicing isn't expensive, parts can easily be sourced through toyota or see Toy Tuning for servicing kits.

They are pretty well equipped like all jap imports have air con, climate control, electric windows, electric folding mirrors etc,

Standard suspension is pretty crap for it's performance, but knowing you this will be overhauled anyway and there is lots of options of pretty good prices. I've got mine on koni adjustables, whiteline -40mm springs, whiteline arb's, anti lift castor kit, panhard rod and the handling is much improved.

For upgrades the list is endless, a HDI front mounted intercooler at £300 will give you an instant 25ish bhp increase and take from the standard 133bhp to around 155-160.

Turbo you can go hybrid for around £600 or TD04 for around 2k.

The 4efte is well capable of 200bhp on standard internals with upgrades to the turbo, manifold, intercooler, actuator, boost increased to 1.0bar and filter. This can be done using a hybrid for under 1.5k for parts plus fitting.

There are lots of rare JDM items that come up on ebay all the time if your interested in getting the optional extra's. Lots of styling options, with front and rear lips and full bodykits.

http://www.toytuning.com/ - this site will give you lots to go at :D

Toy tuning will also import you a glanza and will look for one that matches your requirements.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/index.php - you've probably already been on there.

This looks stunning imho.

IMG_0615.jpg

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

The stats i read on the almera GTI quote 0-60 as 8 seconds, the Starlet/Glanza is (supposedly) 6.8 standard, i find mine to be around 7.5. But unless i'm looking at the wrong model of Almera its not going to run rings around it...

I owned both at the same time. Almera would have won hands down, especially handling.

And you have a GT, lighter then a Glanza, in standard form, the glanza is limited to low boost in its first 2 gears also. And after 100, the 2.0 engine would really pull ahead! it was just as a comparison so he knew what to expect "out of the box".

Nothing agaist the starlet, i loved mine. Had a Glanza V and a GT. Would have another one if i wasnt going to move into RWD turbo cars :)

Thanks for the replies and all the useful info there Kev. There's a dealer down here who has a 96 and a facelift, but the facelift is 1.5K more. I couldn't really tell the differences between the two. Will have a look around, but i definitely think this is the car for me :D

why not buy an ST personnaly i'd much rather have an ST than a starlet, there are two for sale for half the price of a decent starlet. i dont know about you but i've never seen an ST! there so rare and unique. starlets however are nothing special, there good fast cars but dont have the wow factor of an ST imo.

why not buy an ST personnaly i'd much rather have an ST than a starlet, there are two for sale for half the price of a decent starlet. i dont know about you but i've never seen an ST! there so rare and unique. starlets however are nothing special, there good fast cars but dont have the wow factor of an ST imo.

The only micra i'd drive again is my K10 if i ever got that back. As much as i love ST's, they're not for me. I want all the mod cons, i want to be able to get replacement parts.. fixing an ST isn't the easiest thing in the world. They're rare, but that's not always a good thing! Just look at Ed's.. tune them up and they go bang, and he knows what he's doing, sort of :p

but then its so rare, you run the risk of people not knowing what it is. Thinking its "just a micra" or a stupidly modified one. Which means you have to explain what it is which is just not cool "Well, its a 1.0 micra engine with a smaller bore, a turbocharger and a supercharger put on there to create more power, it works by.....". Especially when your talking to a bird at a party. They look at the starlet, especially the glanza V and think "wow, cool car" :blues:

The ST must be in bits that your looking at mate,The starlet is the better car I know this as I've had numorous starlet Gt's/Glanza's over the years.But the st is more fun to drive without a doubt,better handling (in stock form)and with abit of mods on the st 150hp is possible and keep her well serviced she'll be bomb proof aswell. . .
Ed is breaking the boundarys of reliability with his thats why it goes bang so can't be compared to a stock st,its experimental! Mine has been this power level for nearly 2years and no problem with reliability. Also you can pick up a bad example of every car as my first st was a disaster

but then its so rare, you run the risk of people not knowing what it is. Thinking its "just a micra" or a stupidly modified one. Which means you have to explain what it is which is just not cool "Well, its a 1.0 micra engine with a smaller bore, a turbocharger and a supercharger put on there to create more power, it works by.....". Especially when your talking to a bird at a party. They look at the starlet, especially the glanza V and think "wow, cool car" :blues:

I just ignore people like that

Just make sure you check the car before you let them take you for a test drive!
I'd just driven the super s down so the test drive blew me away! :) I then didn't notice that the key didn't fit the boot, one of the electric wing mirrors didn't work and the air con needs regassing! >.<

ANother moderator with anoth non-Micra car :down:

Still, sounds like a good idea Alan! Good luck finding a nice one :)

ANother moderator with anoth non-Micra car :down:

Still, sounds like a good idea Alan! Good luck finding a nice one :)

Yeah but like the other moderators, we will never leave the MSC! I'd even park it on the MSC stand at JAE like Kev does because this club rules :D lol

got to say i love glanzas...i preffer the look of them over starlet GT's. altough i wouldnt say no to ither of them! theres no glanzas around my way at all...only a white modified GT i see often.

i didnt know you could buy a glanza s! lol non turbo 1.3 import with no vent in the bonnet (same as the one kev posted up) yet the rest looks looks the same as a turbo glanza!

i have to say after beeing in a standard glanza they are quick engough...only thing that would do my head in is the high and low boost buttons lol...you can swap pipes around under the bonnet so it makes it run high boost constently iirc.

I had a friend who had a Glanza V for sale...not sure if he's got rid of it yet.
Last I heard, he wanted £3.8 for it.

It was a "Snow Edition" because it was built for the mountains of Japan in the winter"

He took me out in it - was super nippy. The two stage boost really threw you back!!

Looks a good clean example from the images.

You would need to find out if it had cam belt change, most play it safe and change it anyway around that type of milleage if there is no receipt of the work done.

It's been de-badged with no front or rear glanza badge, that might indicate it's been resprayed or just the previous owner wanted them off, that would be an easy check anyway.

New clutch might mean it's be pushed a little, I had mine done around the same milleage but only as I was running more power with the work carried out at Toy Tuning, my original one still had plenty left.

Odd how there is no engine bay pics

Hmm true, i'm generally heading towards trade rather than private sellers but i guess that may not always be a good decision. I'll keep looking :)

Wow i love it!! :D I will sign up on there and message the guy i think.

Do you think that one is worth getting then Kev? Do you know the bloke selling it?

If the cam belt snaps. Non interference means that there should not be any piston/valve collision. Technically you time it up, put on a new belt and away you go. The SW20 MR2 is for sure, but im not 100% on the 4efet in the starlet.

Wow i love it!! :D I will sign up on there and message the guy i think.

Do you think that one is worth getting then Kev? Do you know the bloke selling it?

That one is well worth getting! very good mods for the money and excellent base to work from.

I don't know the person off the forums, but know him by a good reputation he has on TGTT.

Kev

Well i've replied to his thread about tax/mot so lets see what happens. I've got the money already waiting, although might offer a little lower for cash and fast collection.

got to say i love glanzas...i preffer the look of them over starlet GT's. altough i wouldnt say no to ither of them! theres no glanzas around my way at all...only a white modified GT i see often.

i didnt know you could buy a glanza s! lol non turbo 1.3 import with no vent in the bonnet (same as the one kev posted up) yet the rest looks looks the same as a turbo glanza!

i have to say after beeing in a standard glanza they are quick engough...only thing that would do my head in is the high and low boost buttons lol...you can swap pipes around under the bonnet so it makes it run high boost constently iirc.

it takes the boost restrictions off 1st and 2nd gear when you swap the pipes round. good choice alan i loved mine, possibly more than the mr2 turbo i have now...

I was planning on one, before i got the 'mera. it's a difficult one but i decided on practicality. if you want to keep them mint, you must warm them up and down well, and hope you get one with a turbo timer! :) but apart from that sweet little cars, i just diddnt want a little car anymore. can't fit shopping in it like an almera!! haha

Turbo timer installation is simple and you really only to need warm them down after a really hard drive such as on a track etc,

For cold start up's as long as you don't push it before it's had time to warm up, you won't do any damage to the turbo. With any car it's always recommended to allow them to reach optimal operating temperature whether it's N/A or turbo.

Kev

if u do bye one make sure the turbo is working fine, its common for the seals to go and make sure the piston rings/pistons are all fine there common for ****** up, make sure the boost hasnt been cranked up without fueling mods done, alot of people just crank the boost up without fueling

Was hoping to see the car this weekend but the guy never got back to me. I'm hopefully going to go down to Bristol on the train thursday and drive it back if it's any good! It does look pretty tasty in the photos. Cheers for the tips and stuff to check for

Yea, unfortunatly turbo timers arent cheap

Is it really that inconvenient to sit in the car for a couple of minutes after driving it hard?

Nice choice of car - I must admit that I've only seen them in white so would be interested to see how a black one looks in the metal - dare I ask what your insurance is like?

Craig

Insurance is rather cheap on the GT's, mine would have been LESS than the super s! Thats if i'd taken out a new policy, but i'm only paying £100 a year more than i was...

Back