New Airbox: How about this?

JayY

Owner of The Black Beauty
I was think of a way of getting proper cold air to the K&N. I had the drain pipe method, but when I took it of my old car there was black dust in the pipe, im pretty sure this wouldn't be good for the TB, so i thought of a way of having the induction kit where it is supposed to be but still get proper cold air, i was just lookin round in the kitchen and came up with this...(dont laugh, I think it works!)

486902_48_full.jpg

486902_49_full.jpg

486902_50_full.jpg

After going for a drive with the engine bay warmed up i opened the box up and the K&N was freezing! Just pure cold air. Give it a try! (Looks at bit crap though!)

OP
OP
JayY

JayY

It wont melt because of the cold air. I was driving for about 30 mins and it was totally cold on the outside aswell :p I will have to keep an eye on how hot it gets obviously

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
personally i think it wiill get pretty hot on the outside of it. but if u say it works then kool. if u like the looks of it :p

but i know what them plastic tubs look like when the heated up :D

OP
OP
JayY

JayY

Well ive just got back from an hour of driving and im very pleased with it. I checked to see how warm it was and it was still cold. The car felt more responsive, you could notice it alot lower down the rev range. Yeah i must admit it looks pretty foul but im pleased with the diffrents it makes to the driving of the car, remember it is just pure cold air going to the K&N and its where its supposed to be. I would give it a try. :)

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Surely this will restrict the amount of air the car gets, as it can only access air thru the pipe, which will surely restrict the car at high revs

OP
OP
JayY

JayY

Dont see how, its getting ten times more cold air than before, think about the way it works. You would get more cold air from a standard airbox setup than the K&N on the TB so this basically work on the airbox idea

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
i fail to see why people don't just pay the £40ish price for a K&N 57i, get a bit of hosing and relocate it.

just make sure you clean them once a year :)

OP
OP
JayY

JayY

the k&N is inside the box! didnt want to relocatew it cause there was black dust on the TB on my old car when i done this. Plus it on the TB! where its designed to be! added another cold air feed, still pulling nicely

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
how's this holding up jay?

would be very effective if it was vented from the bonnet to allow cold air in and warm out. also sealed with thicker material under the bonnet would be good but a good idea all rnd if a little blue peter.

good stuff

Dave

OP
OP
JayY

JayY

seems to working good. had to lose the lid (the box is upside down) because it kept knocking the filter of the TB....

Edit: its not really even a box now, just the tub bit over the TB with two cold air feeds going to it, suppose the hot air could escape this way :suspect: