NEO VVL Micra

Hello all,

I posted an introduction in the general section. I hope not being from the UK that my membership will be acceptable?

So I have a K12 that I have been playing around with for some time. It was bought as a 2003 JDM used import with 25,000km on it. I drove it home and basically jacked it up and went to work.
As of now, it has been modified quite a bit, and more to come.

I got it with a Nissan Body Ki and Fog Lights. It also came with a NISMO front and rear suspension as well as a full HKS exhaust system (that was actually shown in the Japanese owners manual).

So here is what I did:
Out with 1400cc motor and Auto Tranny
Out with the rear Drum Brakes
Out with the front Disk Brakes
Out with the exhaust
Junked the Instrument Cluster
Remved the giant brake pedal
Removed the Accelerator assembly
Removed the Auto Shifter assembly
Removed ECM and SMJ

Installed 12in two piece Wilwood Rotors and 4 piston Calipers on the front with some custom brackets and braided lines. ABS still works.
Installed rear disk brakes from a B13 model Nissan Sunny. Using the OEM rear hubs with bit of machining...........braided lines as well.
Installed a Nissan 1.6 SR16 NEO VVL motor with N1 Cams. No fuel injection......side draft Keihin FCR-H carbs.
Installed Titanium retainers.
Installed a 4 Fogger Nitrous system rom NOS.
NOS activated by Greddy MSS.
OEM pump feeds the carbs via a Holley Regulator, Holley Pump feeds the Nitrous.
Ignition is an Electromotive wasted spark system.
Gear Box is SR16 NEO VVL with LSD...........custom made axles.
All engine brackets botl back to OEM points, no welding on chassis.
AIM MXL Data Logger.
Custom made shifter linkage.
Custom made hydraulic clutch pedal using the OEM clutch pedal (sourced from Ireland) as a foundation.
Wilwood Clutch Slave Cylinder.
Remote Oil Filter and braided lines through a 9 row Earls Oil Cooler.

I had to completely re-wire the Engine Bay as a result of removing the SMJ and ECM. This included jumper wiring the IPDM so that the system still operated as normal with no problems to the rest of the onboard computers, relays etc.

Car is on 17in SSW Wheels with 205/45/17 Dunlop Tyres.

After tuning the motor made 155bhp on the motor only, measured at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics eddy Current Rolling Road.
With NOS it makes 220bhp at the wheels.
Best time is a 13.2 second 1/4 mile with a 2.1 second 60ft, running 22in slicks.

Here are a few pictures:

SideView2.jpg

12inWilwood_Front2.jpg

RearDiskBrakes.jpg

P1000887.jpg

CamdenDrag1.jpg

41FCR_4.jpg

NEOVVL1-5.jpg

P1000547.jpg

P1000546.jpg

P1000891-1.jpg

I hope you like.

amazing sir!! well done, a cool conversion there! i think the most exiting k12 ive seen so far!, (bar the nismo one) but what a job!.(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

Very kind of you both, thanks for the compliments.
I was seriously inspired by the RML Built Micra with the BTCC Motor in the back.
This is still my plan for the car, but time is not on my side these days.
The awaiting motor is a 2140cc SR20 with individual throttle bodies and Autronic fuel injection. It's completely built and was done with technical help from IES (the guys who did the BTCC winning SR20 motors). It should be good for about 250hp on the wheels with an additional 200 of nitrous :eek:.

So a little bit more into it now and hopefully someone one here can help me out?

Of all the computers that Nissan packed into this car, I removed just one, the ECM. To do this like I said before the SMJ was re-wired and I made alternate circuits out of the IPDM for things like the Ignition, Fuel Pump, AC etc.
Now it all still works like Nissan intended, EXCEPT for the damned Power Steering.
I had the car scanned by my local Nissan Dealer and the system shows no fault codes. The EPS shows angular, torque and speed inputs just fine, however the Power consumption shows 0 amps.
From what I can figure the EPS is waiting to detect that the engine is running, but there is no signal from the missing ECM.
This is all on the CAN Bus so I cannot trick the system with hard wiring.

If I cannot sort this I am going to convert to a hydraulic system.

SO: Does anyone know how I can get the EPS working; OR: Does anyone know of a hydraulic rack that will bolt into these cars?

If I simulate the ECU circuit on the SMJ at 108 to 130 ohm with a simple resistor between the CAN+ and CAN- pins, do you think it will work?

Cheers all!

Wow. Just, wow. :eek:

That is possibly the most awesome K12 I've ever seen!

You're definitely welcome here! :grinning:

James.

this car is an inspiration to me i can`t help you with your problem sadly but have a lot more ideas for my next projects after the bodywork is done :)

It is amazing, thank you all for your compliments.
Looking back through the pictures, it was actually finished in late 2007. It did not feel that long ago, but I guess it is.

Below are two shots of what the engine bay looked like completed, with the custom radiator and the nitrous system installed.

P1000890.jpg

P1000893.jpg

Not much more, but there is a littel write up on the car and the plans for it on my web site. Plus a whole lot more of other cars and projects.

Excellent work! You have probably tried this but if you replug the ecu and find what signal/voltage is applied to the power circuit of the EPS you may be able to fool the eps without the ecm being in the circuit.

Failing that, istall the ecm as a dummy/piggyback to provide inputs for the eps.

You did not mention whether you use the original ignition key. Perhaps the imobiliser that is connected to the ecu also relates to the power input for the eps.

Bombardier

First off, thanks for the suggestions.

The entire waire harness from the SMJ was removed and new terminations made for the SR16 and the fans etc. So the full ECM Harness has been removed and junked.............no chance of me getting the ECM plugged back in unless I re-wire again as a piggy back. even then everything will have to terminated to sensors on the engine so that DTC's do not start making their own set of issues.

Before I did all of this I spent quite some time looking through the wiring drawings and as far as I can see the CAN lines are the only interconnect between the ECM and the EPS (and the other computers as well).

The EPS has a Power Supply direct from the Battery and the Ignition. However the internal supply to the Motor is not showing a current draw. Since I was able to scan it and see that the EPS sensors are working, I am sure that the system is just looking for a wake up call from the ECM via the CAN bus.
The EPS Warning Light is NOT on (instrument cluster computer is still in the CAN circuit).

The Original Ignition Key with NATS and the BCM are all still in place and work just perfectly.

Back