Need to get power to electric windows

recently just installed some universal electric windows into my 2002 k11, got all the way to the point of trying to find power but couldn't figure out how to get accessory power off the ignition so that it doesn't drain the battery. tried wiring off the cig lighter but no power? any suggestions (also are the wire colours the same in every k11? if so anyone know which is accessory off the ignition)

The cig lighter should have power when the car is at ignition or on, maybe the fuse has blown?

Otherwise you could use a multimeter and splice into a wire, and they also sell fuse splitters (not sure on the name, but they're common for installing dashcams)

The cig lighter should have power when the car is at ignition or on, maybe the fuse has blown?

Otherwise you could use a multimeter and splice into a wire, and they also sell fuse splitters (not sure on the name, but they're common for installing dashcams)

Thanks for the advice! It could be we spliced into the wrong cable on the cig lighter or blew a fuse, took so long to install we just looked for a quick source to power on and test but finding the power was tricky since neither of us knows much about the wiring side of things

i think it runs off a 15 amp fuse but i dont know if that makes any difference in being able to run power off that to the windows
The peak amp draw for the motor has to be lower than the continuous rating of the fuse

15 amp is low for a 12v system, it's 180 watts

I couldn't tell you what value the fuses are for various places, I haven't been out to my car in weeks. I know the engine bay fuses are typically higher than the ones near the fuse box under the steering wheel, not sure where the cig lighter fuse/circuit is. Tapping fuses instead of running new circuits you also run the risk of not being able to use them both at the same time and it can get a lot to remember and you get to a point where you have to think to turn the rear demister off to shut your windows lest you risk breaking both (or carrying a ziplock bag full of spare fuses in the boot for when you do)

What recommendations came with the electric window kit? that'll probably be your best bet

Back