Need bit of help, spilled oil in boot

Bottle of motor oil has leaked in car boot. This happened several weeks ago and everything in there is coated. There was enough leaked that it was dripping out the underside somewhere onto the driveway (took me a while to clock where it was coming from).

The carpet mat itself is meh - can just get bit of old carpet to replace I guess. I don't care how anything looks, car is an old bangernomic anyway, only that I get the oil and greasiness out so I don't ruin everything I put in there. Including the best way to clean the spare wheel rubber, don't want to be forced to use a greasy tyre if I get a puncture. I know nothing about degreasers etc.

Also - some of it has soaked into the back seat, both bottom seat and back. So the sponge is likely to be full of the stuff :( . I don't know how I'd get that out, probably not possible. So I'm in the market for a rear passenger seat, but ebay right now only offering me one at £130. So if anyone in either SE London or Nottingham (I go there a lot) has a set they want to sell, please let me know.

Any thoughts? Thx very much for replies :) .

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Fullers earth based cat litter, liberally cover oil soaked areas, leave for a few hours then hoover off.........

Above cat litter may contaminate a domestic vacuum cleaner with engine oil residue odour & then vacuum may cause an oil smell in the house when it is next used.

Gunk oil degreaser water soluble special offer bargain price of £8 for five litres.

1) https://www.thompsonsltd.co.uk/prod...er-aerosol-5-litre.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoNP

2) https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2149-gunk.aspx

Above degreasers may leave a chemical odour not dissimilar to the original engine oil spill problem.

Much cheaper & my choice would be elbow grease rags with almost neat washing up liquid & hot water.

Finish off with de-odorant perfumed clothes washing machine detergent with hot water & rags wipe out of the trunk/boot/rear seat back.

A little hard work can pay off & fix it with domestic cleaning materials ready to hand with no ongoing unlpleasnt odour problems. ;)

Last edited:

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
It's always important to try and look on the good side, in this case at least you're spare wheel well won't rust

Sent from my LG K11+ (yes I did buy the phone specifically to have a K11 phone, I'm that sad)

It's always important to try and look on the good side, in this case at least you're spare wheel well won't rust

Sent from my LG K11+ (yes I did buy the phone specifically to have a K11 phone, I'm that sad)

Also a low cost modification benifit to prevent rust in the floor & spare wheel well too boot! (y)

OP
OP
M
Thanks very much for replies folks. Elbow grease it is. Kitty litter isn't going to do it - it's not quantities of oil that need removing (except for what is in the seat sponge, and I dunno how kitty litter could help there), it's the greasiness left behind.