Need a help about engine oil.

Hi everyone, i need a quick advice from you guys....

My car got lean mixtures problem atm and does cut out sometimes. its time to put new spark plugs and new service parts too.

Right now, i am using 15w 40w oil ATM (since October). What type of oil shall i get for the all season year? By the way, i am going to buy halfords oil or if you tell me a good engine oil. :)

cheers
jk

For the oil, the two numbers correspond to the thickness of the oil.
The Second number is the operating temperature thickness (which you should always try and stick to, lower is thinner), though a drop of 10 (40 -> 30 ) should increase efficiency by around 2% (according to certain sites).
The lower number is a temperature reference, down to what temperature the oil keeps it's thickness before thickening. Lower the number, the less 'thickening' the oil will have at lower temperatures. Personally I try and go as low as possible on this. Certainly a 5w would be a minimum for me over the winter.

Imo, stick in What's cheap :D unless you are turbo maybe. Most important it not to thrash the engine before the oil gets warm.
Halford are expensive unless you have a trade card. Is there no motor factors near you?

Well i am not sure about if i can stick with 5w or 10w. I think i can go with 10w40.... it will be ok for me.

@noddie..... I am in croydon area so there are euro car parts, asda supermarket, halfords and b&q

B&Q got 4L castrol gx (£20) and magnatec (£26)
http://search.diy.com/search#?p=Q&l...cts &method=and&view=grid&cnt=300&isort=price

Euro car parts is so close to my place so i can walk there about 15mins.
The cheapest one is triple qx semi synthetic 10w40 (£18.98)
http://www.eurocarparts.com/engineoil

There is my uncle's garage so its about 5mins to drive up there. He got mix range of oil barrels. I have to pay him tho lol. i think it will be about £10/£20.

Please have look on these links so you can tell me what oil shall i get? Btw should i get 5w40 then?

Chris, I have tried tho. It will show me these threads from last week of march until now. There is nothing. That is why I have make new thread.

Noddie said:
If your uncle can sort you out for less than £18 then get that:) otherwise the £18 one sounds like a good bet:) 10-40 is fine imo.

Ok thanks Noddie. I will see my uncle today if he can do something. I need to sort my timing and idle value before I change new oil and service parts.

Chris, I have tried tho. It will show me these threads from last week of march until now. There is nothing. That is why I have make new thread.
I know what you mean sometimes its a night mare getting hold of stuff via searching.. its a dark art :D

I use 5w/40 fully synth, i run it in all our cars, and buy it in 20l drums last one i got recently cost 60 quid plus the VAT from Euro Car Parts, far cheaper than halfords even with my trade card.

Back