Near side wheelbearing

I have a rather loud noise coming from the nearside footwell area i think it is the bearing i will test it first thing in the morning.
I would like to do this job my self so has anyone done one of these them selves and could write me a quick step by step.

Thanks

I have a rather loud noise coming from the nearside footwell area i think it is the bearing i will test it first thing in the morning.
I would like to do this job my self so has anyone done one of these them selves and could write me a quick step by step.

Thanks

you should be able to tell if it,s gone, by holding the suspension leg while spinning the wheel.
and personally, i would fit a second hand hub because most bearing kits are about £15 and ideally need to be fitted in a press :)

Yer i really think it is .. only other thing that would make a noise like it is doing would be the drive shaft.
If i bought a second hand one and the wheel bearing only last 3-4 months i really wouldnt be happy. Is there anyway i could fit the new wheel bearing kit without a press?

Thanks

Yer i really think it is .. only other thing that would make a noise like it is doing would be the drive shaft.
If i bought a second hand one and the wheel bearing only last 3-4 months i really wouldnt be happy. Is there anyway i could fit the new wheel bearing kit without a press?

Thanks

it,s up to you, just my personal opinion :) and you can hammer the old one out, and the new one in, sure

As Frank says hammer the old one out and new one in. You will need a big size socket like 28 to 32 or somethign simialr in diameter.

You could just take the hib down to the local garage who have a press and get them to put the new one in.

You may have to grind the old one off, usually they are stuck on pretty good.

Jabran.

I have been working on this today only took me an hour to get the hub off, i have given this to my mate who works in a garage and will press me a new one in and all i have to do is put it all back together after work tomorrow.

i tried to hammer the old wheel bearing out and it just wouldnt come out as frank said.

Oh wile i have it all in bits i have some new green stuff pads ... yay.

Thanks

The bearings usually need to cut out as the heat etc really sticks them in.

Trust me you made a good move getting it done on a press as it will have saved you soo much time lol.

getting the old one out with a hammer wouldnt be a problem but getting the new one in would i think, i guess you could try a vice for more even presser but personaly id try get it done on a press or get a new hub like others are saying.

Back