NATS light on

hi
I have just bought a low mileage 54reg micra, when driving I have noticed the ‘nats’ red warning light illuminates after a few minutes driving and then stays on. Any ideas please ?

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Get an OBDII code reader plugged into the socket below the steering wheel and see what codes it comes up with. (the reader can reset the codes as well usually)

OP
OP
J
Hi and thanks for your reply
Just been out with the code reader and it showed P1611 (and pending 1610 & 1611). I cleared the codes, let the car tick over and the NATS lights reappeared, yet strangely when I re read the car - no codes are now showing ?

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Well P1611 is to do with the key not being recognised and P1610, when going from pending to 'on' may well disable the car and stop you from starting it,:eek: see HERE ........

OP
OP
J
That explains why the code isn’t showing as I haven’t started it 5 times yet. I have 2 keys, is it likely to be the receiver part or the key and is it main dealer only to sort ?

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
That explains why the code isn’t showing as I haven’t started it 5 times yet. I have 2 keys, is it likely to be the receiver part or the key and is it main dealer only to sort ?
Try using the other key, if the problem goes away it's the key, if it persists its the receiver or what it controls in the car and then the only option is the main dealer....

OP
OP
J
Hi
Really stuck now !
I bought a used body control module, ECU, steering lock and keys, fitted them the car starts and drives fine however the NATS light still comes on after 5 minutes as it did before !
What have I missed?
Thanks

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
The EPS is also paired, not sure what else but I also think the cluster is as well.
If you haven’t changed the EPS from the same car as the BCM the NATS light will come on.

Jason

Nats. EPS, BCM, ABS, Airbag CPU, I cluster, EM CPU, are likely all code data coms handshake matched set. Therefore above sub-assemblies cannot be productively DIY changed at random.

Easier to systematically trouble shoot the initial fault focusing on the keys, antennae reader, its position, coms with Nats module and the Nats module itself as the DTCs indicate Quote: key not recognised?

If you just bought it from a kerbstone car dealer then they are legally responsible to refund or fix it under UK Consumer Protection Laws.

Good luck hunting

OP
OP
J
Thanks
So is the car likely to immobilise or is it just going to be a light on the dashboard due to a comms error with EPS (assuming the bcm/immobiliser is ok) ?
Thanks again

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
I still think you have mid matching other sub assy’s Like cluster, ABS, airbags control etc.. fixing just the EPS will stil give you an issue. Like pmlval said, you might find some success in fixing the original fault then trying to change every control unit on the car.

Jason