N15 air filter

basically i have an n15 air box and used the used filter it came with which wasnt too bad...

but im wondering isnt the air box the same as the ga16 etc???

also wheres the best place for a filter for it as on ebay the K&N is going for £44

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Talking for myself Will, but I won't put any KN filters ever again. Buy a regular paperfilter, you won't lose anything in power, but keep a clean TB MAF ...

OP
OP
will930
cheers scott much appreciated which would you say is best???

also my resinator for the n15 box is currently in the bin right... but is it best to use it over tubing? which i currently have going over the head and then exh manifold.... but it would look a million times better with the actual resinator...

i think i saw frank using the resinator

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Cant really say mate as ive never used any of them. But i agree with Seb, K&N are pants and best left for chavs.

I have a K&N filter in my almera airbox which i got from euro car parts as it was on special offer, and maybe still is £32 isnt bad imho....

J

OP
OP
will930
ahh true that isnt bad ill go for one of the two but at the end of the day its better than an old one which god knows how long it was on an almera! haha but what about the resinator

frank

Club Member
i think i saw frank using the resinator

i think the resonator is the sealed bottle that is fitted under the snorkel will, i prefer to keep the snorkel personally

Attachments

• SDC11342.JPG
    SDC11342.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 868
OP
OP
will930
i think the resonator is the sealed bottle that is fitted under the snorkel will, i prefer to keep the snorkel personally

sorry about that so ditch the resinator and block the hole in the snorkle... did u have to modify it to fit that well? lol

frank

Club Member
sorry about that so ditch the resinator and block the hole in the snorkle... did u have to modify it to fit that well? lol

yes i covered the hole where the bottle thingy was, and had to cut about 5" out iirc will (you can see where i had to re-join it eh)

euro_micra

Matt :)
I've got a K&N in my ga16 airbox, that was cheapest 'performance' filter around at about £32, but I don't know if it was worth it, i'm sure the £10 airbox was a better investment. I'd say save your money till a used one crops up(Y)

Frank, does the ga16 snorkle fit with the coolent reservoir in place? it's hard to tell in the photo as you've removed it:laugh:

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
1/ they are ridiculously over priced
2/ you will have to buy some MAF/CARB cleaner
3/ you will see on the airbox mesh a lot of dirtniness with the KN filter that wont reappear with a regular paper filter which cost 1 third of KN price.

Eliot

Ex Super S Owner
I wouldnt put that snorkel on if you want induction 'roar' that bit of flexiy in it brakes the sound up and deadens the noise.

OP
OP
will930
true it doesnt look like it will fit with the coolant tank there... so ill stick with what i have and most likely improve it so its out of the god damn way haha...

but i may look at a normal one from halfords or something...

but as ive never had a decent filter its worth a try haha.....

but with my set up i dont get any induction raw at all :(

Resonator + expansion tank

The snorkel will fit with the ex tank. Remove the tank, fit the snorkel tight into the corner as in franks pic and the ex tank will slot back in.

Regarding the resonator, its a bit more complicated! The long lamented Dude who has presumably gone on to greater things(does anyone know what he is working on now and what sites his work can be viewed) proved that the K11 resonator tube removal improved power on a resonably 1.0L. Previous to that the "knowledge" was that removal killed power. From what I remember at that time it was Franks view too, given his vast knowledge and no nonsense approach, it proves just how difficult these mods are to judge by seat of the pants values!

For a few years 2 stroke reed valve bike engines were being fitted with "Boost Bottles" left right and centre to boost power. A whole market grew up around them and Yamaha fitted them to all mx and enduro bikes where noise was not an issue and to the 350 sports bike engines where it was. Quite what the truth was here I do not know, but the bottles disapeared after a few years.

The Dude provided a lot of very useful data, even if it did not match up with the general consensus. He did however leave a lot of questions unanswered. The resonator is a different shape to the K11 which is a tube, is this for a reason and why as there is room under a K11 for similar design.

Does anyone a have more info as out of interest my resonator box is still there as yes it will fit but I will have no problem removing it.

It was interesting to note that the Dudes preferred method of cleaning air was a filter mounted directly above the throttle body. This goes against our convention in MSC, I have a feeling given the particular attention given to cold air in the warm West Coast USA to cold air and the view of the Dude in a colder country is that it is marginal here in GB for the majority of the year. The turbulence and drag in a long tube cannot help so I remain to be totally convinced that anything more than a big air box fitted with large inlet and a clean(ish) paper filter is marginal. (interesting to note that dirt bikes are not fitted with K+N's any more as they do pass dirt and oiled foam filters do a far better job)