N/a engine upgrades.

Hi guys, we plan on fitting a janspeed manifold, improved air intake and a groupN exhaust to our 1.3 desert rally Micra.
At the moment I've got the engine stripped for a clean and a rebuild. Is there any bits and things I can do while I'm here to aid performance without going into expensive cams...etc.
I plan on sending the head off to be skimmed and have the valves seated. Is it worth port and polishing intake/head/exhaust?
I've read about fitting 1.0 pistons to up compression, but I'm not sure if that will compromise reliability. Our goal is 90-100bhp, more the merrier but we are trying to stay realistic.
Any help is welcome and very much appreciated.
Have a good weekend lads and ladies.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Relatively simple and cheap upgrades will get you close to your figure I think.

Estimating drive train losses mine got 90 - 100 hp with:
Extractors and 2" aftermarket cat
1 3/4" exhaust (2" seems popular though)
Ga15 injectors
GA15 throttle body
Custom inlet (required for my application)
Nistune
Dyno Tune

The engine had I think about 130 K on it and I didn't take the engine apart at all. I'd suggest the nistune and Dyno was absolutely necessary, Dyno operator said there was no part of the fuel map he didn't change.

Relatively simple and cheap upgrades will get you close to your figure I think.

Estimating drive train losses mine got 90 - 100 hp with:
Extractors and 2" aftermarket cat
1 3/4" exhaust (2" seems popular though)
Ga15 injectors
GA15 throttle body
Custom inlet (required for my application)
Nistune
Dyno Tune

The engine had I think about 130 K on it and I didn't take the engine apart at all. I'd suggest the nistune and Dyno was absolutely necessary, Dyno operator said there was no part of the fuel map he didn't change.
Thanks for the input, as you say the ecu remap seems to be a must. From what i have read any small mods throw the original map out of the window.

Oh another cheap and worthwhile mod is to get your flywheel lightened as long as it's a one piece unit (2 piece units have limited ability to be lightened).
Nistune is cheap and capable, only restriction I can think is it won't do MAP sensor or coil packs(i think might be wrong here) unless it's a cga3de ecu with factory coil packs.

definitely 1.0 pistons if you already have the engine apart (or corsa pistons, page 2 )http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=65695
That's what I was thinking, I need to replace piston rings aswell as I think she's burning oil. I might be lucky enough for a breaker to sell me just the pistons, and not have to buy a complete engine.
What sort of increase in compression does this give you? Anything to worry about reliability wise?
Apparently the fuel in Morocco is about as strong their tea, and I can't chance over heating (although I am replacing all cooling system components).
Oh another cheap and worthwhile mod is to get your flywheel lightened as long as it's a one piece unit (2 piece units have limited ability to be lightened).
Nistune is cheap and capable, only restriction I can think is it won't do MAP sensor or coil packs(i think might be wrong here) unless it's a cga3de ecu with factory coil packs.
I've found a guy in my region that has a dyno and does ecu tweaking. He's said he can adjust the standard map to optimise small mods for 200-250€. I need to find out what that actually is, because I assume that would be a piggy back of some sort lightly tweaked. Not a custom map.

How easy is it to do your own tuning with nistune or similar? I'm pretty hands on and it's always been something I've wanted to learn.

frank

Club Member
the c/r works out to 12:1 + and i only ever ran unleaded, but you may want to take some octane booster and pull some timing if the local petrol is low grade
the best mpg i ever got was with 1.0 pistons

Holy smokes Batman I didn't think it would up c/r that much! Do you find the car runs any hotter than usual?
I'd have to pick up silkolene proboost or the likes from the UK as I can't find it in Spain. Demon tweeks do a multi-buy i think.

I didn't trust myself running it so I haven't tried yet, but it looks like a nice software package to tune with, there's a few videos on the nistune page to give you an idea, it's a board installed on the factory ecu and not as expensive as aftermarket ecus but has most of the functionality afaik.

Okey, i can help with cheap.
ignition advance ~2 degrees, cams (under 300gbp) matching intake manifold and TB (or ga15de tb) , janspeed manifold, MUCH under 1k and u will see over 100bhp. Meaning of cams in micra is allways underestimated. OH yes, more fuel pressure or chip.

Okey, i can help with cheap.
ignition advance ~2 degrees, cams (under 300gbp) matching intake manifold and TB (or ga15de tb) , janspeed manifold, MUCH under 1k and u will see over 100bhp. Meaning of cams in micra is allways underestimated. OH yes, more fuel pressure or chip.

When you say "matching intake manifold and TB do you mean matched by porting?
I'm on the same lines of thought as what you are saying. We are about to order the janspeed manifold and have a groupN exhaust ready to be fitted.
Surely if you throw more agressive cams in you are going to need some proper ecu tuning to make the most of the modifications, decent ecu tuning is about 500-700gbp as far as I know.

For now, I think we'll sling the full exhaust on, almera intake and match TB and manifold. That way we should see some gains in performance with having to push the boat out for a decent remap.

Thanks for the reply and useful information.