My wheel bearing was making a noise for a while but has been silent for a while now - should I replace it?

Before like 6 weeks ago the back left bearing was sometimes making a gentile winding/squeaking noise or I think that’s how I remember it.
Anyway I haven’t noticed it in a while, should I still replace it or should I wait until I can hear it again?
Maybe it was the wetter weather then idk.

could it have been rust on the drum/cylinder? If cars stand for a while and it's damp, there is surface rust on the cleaned bare-metal surface of the cylinder/drum, which when you drive around is just scraped off by the brake pad/shoes and it's not a problem, but it does make a noise at first until you've had a good stomp on the brakes. It could also be that the pads are touching slightly, maybe something is heating up and expanding the fluid putting the brakes slightly on? Brake squeal could be another cause, just vibrations under certain conditions which can be solved with some certain type of grease on the back of the pads or by replacing a clip or something

it's hard to figure out without hearing the sound, I don't like taking chances if it could be brakes though, I'd get it up on a ramp or a central jack with the front wheels chocked and give it a spin + feel for any play.

Back