My turbo kit build thread

euro_micra

Matt :)
Hey, thought I'd keep a bit of an updateable thread to show the progress of my turbo build project before it gets fitted.

First off, I'm hoping to create a reasonably sensible and simple turbo set-up, to which will be put on to my facelift cg10. Possibly cg13 to-be. I'm new to turbos so I'll be asking a few easy questions. But I'm hoping to learn alot from doing it. I've accepted that I'll sacrifice power for reliability & cost and I'm happy with that, but I will try and keep as much of what I do 'upgradable'.

A projected list of parts I'm expected to need:

Turbo(bought)
Manifold(bought)
Exhaust(started)
Oil feed line/kit
Oil return line/kit
Intercooler
BOV
Injectors
Fuel pump
Pipes/joints/hoses
Boost gauge
Mapping
...please add if I'm missing anything.

Turbo & Manifold
Bought from Martin, it's a Garrent T20 with internal wastegate. The manifold has been modified by Frank. And together it should bolt-up and fit in the engine bay easily.

5843170528_32920aa82f_z.jpg

5843170516_e6f70eb4f6_z.jpg

5843170512_cf256d0d1e_z.jpg

Exhaust
Downpipe seems to be the most difficult. But I've got the most difficult part of the downpipe -the flange and bend done already. I'm not sure if the stock exhaust will be sufficient with a turbo, but I'm thinking about going from a 2” downpipe to a similar size cat(sr20?? rb25??) to mid silencer and stock rear backbox, or maybe something else, but do want to keep it quite quiet.

Oil feed kit
As far as I know consists of:
1/8npt to an-4 fitting
an-4 hose fitting
an-4 hose
an-4 hose fitting
an-4 fitting to turbo banjo(have)
?

Oil return kit
As far as I know consists of:
turbo flange pipe(have)
hose
sump flange pipe
?

Intercooler
What size intercooler should I be looking for? I'll be running low boost and would like reduce lag, so maybe no intercooler, but I also want to reduce detonation.

Blow off valve
Have thought about going for a recirculating one to help reduce lag, would also keep noise down, but then again I wouldn't mind a bit of vrroom-tssh. But I'll probably go with the cheapest easiest option of a second hand atmospheric one.

Injectors
GA16 is probably going to my first choice as it's a simple bolt on job. Possibly upgrade to red sr20's if I need to, but that's too difficult for me to do.

Fuel pump
Will I personally need to upgrade my stock one if I'm running ga16 injectors on low boost? If so I'll probably go for a gtir or skyline one. And will a fuel pressure regulator help at all?

Mapping
I know ed may be the most well known and gives some good gains, but I'll be looking at other options to start with. One idea that I've not seen on here is a chipped and mapped non-uk ga16 ecu, if that would even work well I'm not sure. Or maybe a more mechanical way of controlling the afr. Not sure, going to need some serious thinking regarding this.

So there I go, first step to becoming boosted:)

"slow and steady wins the race"

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Sounds like a mint plan mate, can't wait to see the finished product. Looking forward to the next update (Y)

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Plans sound good,pretty similar to my set up :) If you look at my topic in the Blog section and my topic in here called "Joining The Band Wagon" theres a fair bit of info there :)

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Best to have an Intercooler. One of similar size to the one Martin has would be fine.

BOV... I would personally opt for a recirc valv. Youll be able to pick one up off of any turbo car in a scrapyard. LIke a GTiR one or 200sx which is upto 8 psi IIRC. And Pollyp on his turbo just put in a recirc instead of atmospheric and noticed a difference.

As for fuel pump, An Almera GTi fuel pump is a straight fit and is rated to about 250bhp, thats we swapped into the turtle and it worked fine. Youll be able to get one cheaper than a GTiR aswell.

As for mapping, obviously Ed is the best for this kinda thing using Nistune. And using a Non-UK GA16 ECU is kinda pointless in my opinion. You could always use a Apexi SAFC on a low boost setup, not the best choice but it would work to an extent.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

:eek: quick replies here, cheers guys:blush:

Yeah hooded read your's a few times, will be a similar setup, and just a couple of steps behind, but your turbo looks massive compaired to mine though.

Scott that's some good advice thanks, pollyp's recirc is what made me think of giving that an option. gtir fuel pump on ebay atm about £15 that's what I was thinking, don't think I can get one cheaper really. Yeah an AFC is one of the options but not heard of anyone using anything other than nistune on a micra so it's a little hard to compare.

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
With a turbo that size and a small intercooler, youll see no lag. That turbo is perfect for what your intending.

frank

Club Member
disconnecting the coolant temp sensor caused my a/f/r,s to run at 13:1 on my last dyno run matt (the blue trace) so that could be an option for low boost, but you could do with some spark control too tho eh.
and the GA dizzy has 2 optical sensors iirc :eek:

Attachments

• SDC11788.JPG
    SDC11788.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 852
OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

I only mentioned the ga16 ecu as I've heard about it being used on a micra but only vaguely, and I remember US and AUS ones can be chipped. THIS on ebay(or atleast on one of its older ads) iirc mention it being used successfully on a cg13 aswell, and it's quite abit cheaper than nistune too. What's your thoughts on it?

frank

Club Member
I only mentioned the ga16 ecu as I've heard about it being used on a micra but only vaguely, and I remember US and AUS ones can be chipped. THIS on ebay(or atleast on one of its older ads) iirc mention it being used successfully on a cg13 aswell, and it's quite abit cheaper than nistune too. What's your thoughts on it?

sounds good eh (Y)
QG injectors are an option too eh matt, mine are off the scale rich at WOT just like when i switched the c/t/s off before (and thats at 100+hp eh :) )
anything here ? http://sr20nation.com/ga16forum/forumdisplay.php?17-Engine-Management

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
I wasnt aware Walbro made a pump for the micra. I would think everyone uses a GTiR or Sentra Walbro 255.

But as i said, the Mera GTi was a straight fit and can handle about 250bhp. Which i doubt anyone on here will go over.

martinb

Ex. Club Member
just for your info matt you need these to complete the oil setup

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oil-Drain-Ret...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33681782f1

you need a 1/8 npt to 4- an fitting to screw to the head feed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-AN4-04-1-8-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2563ad5b79

and a 4-an oil line, you only need a 25cm one as its a very very short route mate

may have to be custom order or make your own, you can still have a 1 metre oil line if you wish but i didnt want it wrapped around the engine bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-4-8mm-I-D-T...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2307b5e12b

for your air filter you will need a 51mm either 63mm (2.5") or 76mm(3 ") reducing 90 degree elbow, small peice of pipe and a pod filter (please check my blog for pictures)

if your only running a low boost setup noddie only had the peter lloyd exhaust, a competent welder could easily cut the stock downpipe bend off and join the turbo downpipe matey

good luck any problems or you get stuck with anything, and remember to check my blog if you need and guidance with how it was before :)(Y)(Y)

martinb

Ex. Club Member
how cool would it be if those ecus could work, tell em your specs and away you go! i could do 163 quid, not right now but its alot more affordable

not knocking you ed at all mate, and i know your work is top notch, just sometimes i wish things were a little easily for micras like the equilivlant generic turbo'd nissans :(

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Hey Martin, thanks for that pal, pretty identical as what I got bookmarked-

Head Feed adapter
Hose
hose fittings, either these or these. (would think these are needed right, one to connect from head adapter, and one for the banjo?)
Oil drain sump pipe

Can you cut those braided hoses? So I could buy just the one 1meter one and have myself 25cm for the feed and 75cm for the drain?

I'm hoping to get the downpipe as good/efficient as possible 1st time, then I can upgrade the rest later. Is there a Nissan with a 2" exhaust, downpipe and cat ideally, then the rest could be made up from universal bends possibly.

Yeah that ecu would be good if it would work, definately worth messaging them about it.

superls

K10 Tuner
if you need a wideband o2 sensor kit, ive got an inovate lc1 kit for sale, its never been out of the box.

£150

Scott.

p.s. ive also got a spare capri wheel drilled for 4x100pcd, i forgot id got it in the shed, found it the other day if your interested???

martinb

Ex. Club Member
Matt you don't need anything for the oil return other than the fitting I tagged

You already have a return with hose, just get the fitting mate

Yeah you put tape around the braided hose and hacksaw mate :)

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

p.s. ive also got a spare capri wheel drilled for 4x100pcd, i forgot id got it in the shed, found it the other day if your interested???

Yeah I'm interested, always good to have a spare. Is that with 165/55 tyre too?

Matt you don't need anything for the oil return other than the fitting I tagged

You already have a return with hose, just get the fitting mate

Yeah you put tape around the braided hose and hacksaw mate :)

Ah so that pipe will reach the sump, I was thinking it was a good 30cm or so away:wasntme:

Does the sump fitting need to be welded on, or will the gaskets, silcone and the nuts and bolts be enough?

frank

Club Member
sod taking the sump off fwn there,s a perfectly placed fitting in the block (even has a deflector/splash plate so you dont spray the oil onto the spinning crank

Attachments

• SDC12271.JPG
    SDC12271.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 830

martinb

Ex. Club Member
Doesn't the return have to be lower than the turbo Frank for gravity for it to flow

I was told if the oil backs up in the turbo it can create probs ???

Matt if you order the fitting I have a spare sump I can fit it on in exact same place as I still use the fitting on my new setup

I never had any problems or leaks with silicone ant nuts and bolts mate

Check my 1.0 rat blog, I think or my current blog you can see fitment pics matey

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Frank, is that this?
crankbreatheroilreturnposibility.jpg

your pic btw, can't remember where you posted it.

Does look high compared to where the oil's exiting the turbo. Less messy yeah, but worth the risk??

frank

Club Member
Frank, is that this?
your pic btw, can't remember where you posted it.

Does look high compared to where the oil's exiting the turbo. Less messy yeah, but worth the risk??

yes mate :) and cisco,s ?
the turbo is fed via the oilpump eh, and the return is still under residual pressure, so no problems there.
and if the turbo oil galleries drain dry overnight then there,s no oil left in it on startup :eek: (better without a gravity drain imo