• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My long promised blog

I'm with you on the facebook page it's an absolute cesspool, there are a few worthwhile people on there though

Any and all updates on H701 are more than welcome

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I'm with you on the facebook page it's an absolute cesspool, there are a few worthwhile people on there though

Any and all updates on H701 are more than welcome
There will be some to add soon but not much. That car has barely been touched but people know my opinions and actions that'll follow soon :)
It's been far too long, pop up when you're free and we'll catch up.
Indeed. I'm heading for this Japshow Japfest thing in June but a few track days prior. If you're ever free on one of our track events do join in :)

There will be some to add soon but not much. That car has barely been touched but people know my opinions and actions that'll follow soon :)

Indeed. I'm heading for this Japshow Japfest thing in June but a few track days prior. If you're ever free on one of our track events do join in :)

Which one are you doing? Japshow or japfest? Silverstone or Santa Pod? :)

Good to see you back on here

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I'm get going to get technical a bit
(Note: I'm using the blog from now as a think pad so some things may seem a bit umbo jumbo but that's a good thing for me at least gets all my info, research into writing ro review)

H701 as a car is changing a lot. Some folk know, some folk don't but it's important to know for the following

But in order to keep competitive and within my personal comfort and capability, I need to address the foremost form of chassis adjustment; Track Width vs Wheelbase

For the current form
Track width was increased by 20mm over standard
Wheelbase however remained the standard 2300mm
Front/Rear bias was around 65/35
Left/Right was 50/50

The car turned in fine however in tighter circumstances I had both inside wheels lift means, long story short, I had exceeded what the car could physically do width wise,ignoring roll centre technicalities. So the future already has an increased width in the pipeline
What about wheelbase? It's pretty fixed its not easily changed and where it can be changed we'd be talking mm's in difference. Although my longitudinal transfer wasn't bad at all the only encountered issue was physical weight missing from the rear making it rear end light under hard braking. Not going to look into spring rates/damping on the front as the suspected travel needed and predictability was bob on

Generic wheelbase:track ratio rule is 1.6:1
I found that doesn't suit me and prefer closer to 1.55:1

Last edited:
OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Writing this as a reminder to fill in the blanks
Some quick math coupled with some measurements. The track width I'd be looking for can vary from 1472mm to 1586mm depending on the Ratio I select
The higher figure pointing towards a 1.45:1
1472 is a 9.44% increase over standard and 7.84% over current form
1586 is a 17.92% increase over standard and 16.2% over current form

Track Width Front Rear Differential - 0.3% F

Width tolerance A
F - +140mm
R - +140mm

W/B Tolerance - +/-6mm

Last edited:
OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Track width selected. Applying it can go 2 roads

I've selected a ratio that will give me a wide enough footprint to lower the roll centre appropriately but not be too wide that the car becomes unusable (too twitchy)

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Onto the Engine/Drivetrain in question

We know of my love for the GA16 and how this build is planned out I'll probably still be rocking one whilst the new skeleton takes form in the meantime. I can test my ECU,turbo and supercharger out on it although it won't have the punch of the V6

The engine is a 6A13 2.5l V6 from Mitsubishi Galant
The drive train is where I'm awash, all 3 types are an option.
The 6A13 came with 4WD in the VR4 Galant but also 2 turbos making it a 6A13TT these aren't only rare they're expensive
But! They're transverse with transfer boxes making them and any conversion like it incredibly easy to do. Much simpler than the Subaru one I tackled last year (more info on that thing another day)
I can RWD drive it, H701 already has an independent rear end and rear differential. The difficulty comes in selecting a suitable gearbox. If I go for an adapter I'll use my BMW gearbox and simply stick a prop in the middle. I realllly like the idea of a longitudinally mounted V engine full stop (but those possibilities include skyline GTR type gearboxes/diffs and rocket the price for 4WD) however I think in the end it'll be too much power in such a small light car for RWD. I want driveability that suits my capability

Finally of course comes FWD. I can use FWD gearboxes from most Mitsubishis (4G93s, 6A12s) and continue as a FWD car.. seems daft to leave that rear diff freewheeling

In order of preference I have
4WD
FWD/RWD on par

I'm dead set on 4WD the others will simply be contingency plans

Many pieces of paper of research later and I'll have my solution no doubt.

I haven't given this build a budget at all. Nor a timeframe
I'm in no rush to complete it despite my excitement and I want it built to a standard not a price

It could take a year. It could take 4. I don't care. It's H701 and it's very close to the heart so it shall be done properly. That's why NS has been shipped off and I've been quietly working away on it

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
The V6 is home

69b19c3ebab0afe1facead5f0c38f136_uploadfromtaptalk.jpg

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
This might be better
IMG-20160314-WA0000_zpshxnihtky.jpg

IMG-20160314-WA0001_zps2oi1i4km.jpg

IMG-20160314-WA0002_zps6lyno0v6.jpg

Yes it was an auto. Yes it's a good thing
Extra 23hp thanks to having INVECS-II

So a healthy 196hp and 170lb-ft in standard form and still weighs less than an SR20 ;) (4kg but shh. Every little helps)

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Got myself a BMW E46 323Ci as a daily.
Great idea that was.
Runs like crap. Drives like crap. Clearly the owner had no idea what he was doing where maintenance was concerned.

Looks nice though.. just as well considering it's just sat on my drive

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Knowing H701 is going to take a long ass time and will be in the design stage for a short while being such a big project, updates will be few and far between so in the meantime

I'll borrow this blog to document my recent acquisition.. a K11
Yes I finally have one. Its bought n paid for, sat at a friends house simply awaiting me to go collect it

I have plans for it. I think my lack of caring for K11s means I wont mind battering it about a bit, and I'll probably discover a bit of compassion for one.. unlikely
I already have plenty of stuff sat about so it'll develop fairly quickly, but I'll break it down rather than just 1 long blog post and all done in a day

So far I have for my K11 in the 'too-much-crap-I-hoard-and-should-sell-or-bin' pile and of course spare material from what I make.
I have the following:
15" Alloys
35mm lowering springs (no coilovers for a daily for me personally)
Adjustable panhard
Strut braces
Fatter anti-roll bars
GTi-R front brakes with suitable MC
Front splitter
Rear spoiler
Turbo kit if I go turbo -or- 421 for NA
Custom inlet plenum
Bucket seats
Half cage
Paint

And fluffy dice

Oh if you want a primera mc for whatever reason I still have that new one I bought lying around, never returned it... Will chuck it at you next time I see you?

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
How's K11 ownership?
Awful and not because it's a K11 its been neglected. Even I feel bad for it

I have photos to upload later

It's beyond dirty. So it got a thorough clean, wipe down with mould remover (aka cheap bleach) and hoovered
The 3 resident maggots were evicted - yes maggots
I found about 50p in change.

I've serviced it top to bottom
Got the misses to learn on it.
All fluids and filters changed bar gearbox oil. TB/MAF cleaned and cables lubricated
Brakes freshened up with new including new fluid

Lowered on 35mm springs. That's enough for me in a daily

I've got a clutch for it too ready and waiting.

Hopefully it'll go much better now

Plans next are a full set of braces. Adjustable panhard. Fresh stainless exhaust, nothing lary. But it will be 2.5", baffled and a bung to shut it up for now

I have something planned for the inlet first :)

I don't think facelifts came with rear arbs, my 1.0 didn't even have a front one, and the rear axle doesn't even have the mounting points, only found out recently when I bought both and couldn't fit rear

If you make them I'd appreciate the measurements if you don't mind, as I have to do the same but postage would make it stupid expensive I would think. If its not too expensive I'll buy a set too

Actually if you want next time I'm at my parents house I can measure my other k11 as its first facelift and probably has the mounts on it. I can get some photos too

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Its got the tabs on the axle and further forward. It's even got one droplink hanging in there.
Hence it does look like someone pulled it off in a hurry

Tabs though, I'll look into making them
From what I've seen it can't cost much
Especially if I make a bunch at once

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
What car am I on now?

Well
K11 hasn't been touched bar its service and clean

H hasn't moved since December

And that's about how active my micra life is at the minute
1 of them is going to JAE
Least work and funds required to make reasonable by late August will be the lucky car to venture or some Japanese relation I may purchase in the meantime

Place your bets now
Odds are heavily in the K11s favour.. its taxed, tested, running, together and only requires minimal work to make show worthy
H is a shell... say no more

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
K11 was driven yesterday, man its slow
Now I know everyone says it's because I've come from quicker cars back to micras but even for a micra this isn't right
I've done all usual checks
I've cleaned the maf properly. It's had a thorough service. All coilpacks are good.

But it's so gutless. It's doesn't have that punchy zip I expected from a CGA3

Any ideas what may be worth checking out??

Doesn't seem temperature related
Any rpm
It does 'smoke' (for lack of a better word) around the front wheel / centre of the car area so I assume an exhaust leak

Any and all opinions/purchase offers :p /ideas appreciated

pollyp

Club Member
K11 was driven yesterday, man its slow
Now I know everyone says it's because I've come from quicker cars back to micras but even for a micra this isn't right
I've done all usual checks
I've cleaned the maf properly. It's had a thorough service. All coilpacks are good.

But it's so gutless. It's doesn't have that punchy zip I expected from a CGA3

Any ideas what may be worth checking out??

Doesn't seem temperature related
Any rpm
It does 'smoke' (for lack of a better word) around the front wheel / centre of the car area so I assume an exhaust leak

Any and all opinions/purchase offers :p /ideas appreciated

check plug condition & gap (appear lean/rich?)
check compression is 11-13bar and all evenly spread
TPS is configured right
ECU coolant sensor within spec?
O2 sensor 1 & 2 responding fast enough?
air & fuel filter replaced
no vac leaks
dizzy timing has big effect on torqueyness but dunno about coilpack timing (I'm guessing that's all determined non-adjustable by crank & cam sensors. and hopefully the cam timings are also synced with the crank)
cat ain't blocked?
brakes not binding, handbrake fully released
tyres inflated

The cga3 should feel nippy - they run low 17 1/4mile standard.
Obviously, they don't have much torque so you need to rev the sh+t out of it...

Paul ^^ as per usual, has been far more helpful than me :p

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
check plug condition & gap (appear lean/rich?)
check compression is 11-13bar and all evenly spread
TPS is configured right
ECU coolant sensor within spec?
O2 sensor 1 & 2 responding fast enough?
air & fuel filter replaced
no vac leaks
dizzy timing has big effect on torqueyness but dunno about coilpack timing (I'm guessing that's all determined non-adjustable by crank & cam sensors. and hopefully the cam timings are also synced with the crank)
cat ain't blocked?
brakes not binding, handbrake fully released
tyres inflated
Plugs tbc
Compression test later
Haven't tested any other sensors
All filters replaced
No leaks I'm aware of
Non adjustable timing
Not displaying the same throttle dependant behaviour as BMW for bad cat. It's slow in general
Brakes all new and healthy
Tyres good

Only thing to physically see is the leaking of oil out of every seal but nothing detrimental to performance

OP
OP
h701micra

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I thought I'd share with you a little bit of what's going on.
Firstly I've deactivated my Facebook page, not deleted it, deactivated. The difference being I can re-activate my account at a time of my choosing

Question is.. why? Well I'd gotten to a point where I faced a daily barrage of messages. Despite my efforts to forward people to any number of my business contacts links I eventually just settled on the idea people weren't going to listen.
Another reason why. I'm overdue a break, because of the above I never get a day off. If I ignore those messages to take time out. Those in question take to social media to rant about me ignoring them. Whilst pathetic I cannot stop it and it frustrates me.
Me deactivating my account has flared up a number of moaning myrtles who think I've 'blocked' them or 'avoiding' them.. which I'm not, people cannot respect the fact I need a break and now I've forced them to listen andddd because its not how they want it or their way they're having a paddy. And still are. I've left my business email open to be contacted, yet heard nothing. Its shear laziness on their part. God forbid should anyone have to put effort in.
Another major factor here was the number of truth twisters as I call them. They include a number of facts, but jumble their order, miss out a few details and stick that on social media. It's ok for them to prance around having a group whinge but if they could get their facts straight that'd be great.
Example 1: I allowed someone to pay in installments, he let me know he may be facing financial difficulty and at the same time complained I had his money and had nothing to show for it.
Wait a minute... youre paying in installments kid there will be nothing to show until the full bill has been met. And me not wanting anymore aggro said I'd simply refund him and have done with it. He disagreed said the situation would be fine and to go ahead... so I ordered the first half of what I could with his instalment money to stop his "you've nothing to show complaint".. next day he changes his mind and now requires a refund. I've shelled x amount on parts near equal to what he paid. He's happy to wait until I get funds to repay him. I can't do much more than that thanks to his confusion. I made him aware I was expecting a payment and would refund him from there.. guess what, payment was made but only 20% what I was expecting. Fair enough but now I'm short on money. Joys of self employment is you never know what money you're gonna get.
Apparently this was dodgy and he was going to see a bailiff about it, he was expecting more. Newsflash kid, so was I.
I even offered some form of payment from my little to non existent bank account.
Here's his truth twisting, he's telling people he's been waiting 2 months for his refund.. whilst 2 months is correct... it's not correct in that statement. He first started paying in little under 2 months ago. Then just under 5 weeks later decided he needed a refund. That makes him wait a little over 3 weeks. See what I mean by picking snippets of info and jumbling them to make them appear hard done to. Yet I share screen shots of truth and I get hostility... hmm I wonder why

I'd been honest, I'd done what I could. I'd tried to help where I could but apparently now, I'm a dodgy person and he doesn't like how I run my business... well go read my T&Cs written online... it says refunds are accepted for some reasons but not immediate, tge return or resale of parts is required first before a return is made. Don't like it don't buy. Its fairly simple and laid out to make a choice clear... but that's me being dodgy? I can't stand it any longer

Anyway that example us exactly why I've stopped and come off Facebook. I can't be dealing with people like that at least for now. I've a whole lot more going on that I need to resolve before little kids with their knickers in a twist start flapping at me

Last edited: