• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My lil' green Ruby

Right! I've been lurking on here for a long time now, and thought i better make myself a little better known:p. The name should become a bit more obvious in pictures but got her in October 2012 when i was 16, so I've got a lot of backtracking to do!

So, after going through pages and pages of autotrader I finally found her ad on the village board for a absolute steal of £150. Naturally I had to have a look, however when i turned up at the supposed address she was no where to be seen!o_O Knocking on the door, an old lady answers and before long shoves some gardening tools into my hand and points to a bunch of bushes! Instead of walking away, I got stuck in and eventually pulled out this very dirty looking little green micra!:D Not a spot of rust, started as if she'd been run yesterday (not 4 years) and only 37k on the clock for the price i had to have her!

After a new battery,clean oil, some fresh air in the tyres and a tow home i finally gave her a long deserved wash:) The only picture I can find, is from what i think was a couple of weeks later:p

DSC05897.JPG

DSC05928.JPG

It didn't take me long to fall in love with her!:p (See where the name came from?:rolleyes:)

So the first thing, was get the plastic trims as the steelies weren't up to much and I didn't have a clue what I was doing back then:rolleyes:

Couple of months after I got her a set of wind deflectors and a K&N induction kit!

DSC06630.JPG

Also added some white led side lights because the stock ones looked a bit naff and well some bad boy....tape?:p

Sooo, about a year past and I felt it was time to get a set of alloys and managed to pick up a set for £60 off ebay which would do until i could afford a slightly more decent set. I also gave her a full peter lloyd system as the old one left much to be desired.

During this time as well, I had hit a fox at a considerable speed which split my front bumper in half which gave me a good excuse to get her a all green brand new one:rolleyes:

DSC08822.JPG

So this is how she sat during the first part of this year, I've also moved down to Bournemouth for commercial flight training so you'll have to excuse all the planes in the background:p After she flew through her MOT about 2 months ago, I acquired new set of flipped steelies from Doug!:D

newwwwww.jpg

Also tinted her rear lights with a flyeyes kit and added some stickers! quite happy with how she sits at the moment, although some lowering springs should be on the cards very soon:rolleyes:

I'll try to update when i can!:D thank ya for reading:)

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Thank youu! haha, yea it's certainly been a lot of saving, but i've wanted to do this since well forever:p A lot of work though!

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Haha cheers Josh, yea i will try to!

Do you mean the steel trim closer to the actual wheels or the wheels closer to the car Mark?:p

Cheers Dave! ya she is!

Hi mate,

Nice neat and tidy project please keep us updated with pics, once your qualified r u swapping the Micra for an Aston lol! :D

Andy :D

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Quick update! A couple of days ago, I finally finished redoing the interior trim:D I wanted to go for a classic sort of look that wasn't too in your face soooo...picked this material:
11774423_10204549244835935_2064758137_n.jpg

So with that in mind I tackled the door cards first, stripped them back completely then glued some cotton wadding to the cards. After this, stuck the actual fabric on and threw it back on the door! I just used a bottle of fabric glue to stick everything together:

11758842_10204549245755958_1291729250_n.jpg

Next was the roof lining which was....well a lot longer than I thought:mad: Un clipped all the pillars and all the rubber trim bits around the door frame and windows. Removed all the handles, sun blinds and the sun roof bits too and finally worked out how to get the bit of trim off right at the back. Then managed to slide it right out the back:cool:

11751352_10204549244635930_1725041127_n.jpg

Then it was as simple as just using some spray glue and gluing the fabric to the lining, cutting and wrapping it around the edges and using some of the fabric glue I used earlier. Let it dry and cut all the holes out and slipped it back in to place! So the end result wasss:

11733260_10204549245035940_1009416278_n.jpg
11749323_10204549244955938_939936875_n.jpg
11751281_10204549245635955_490984594_n.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with the way it turned out, I am however never doing it again:p

Haha cheers Andy! oh no never! don't think i'll swap her for anything:p definitely staying jap whatever happens though:rolleyes:
C'mon Josh, when you're flying 747's you'll be driving....... anything you like :D but you will never forget your Ruby ;)
When you do your pilot "welcome aboard, I'm your pilot for today" always say "and I used to have a little green Ruby micra"
If I'm on the flight, I'll push my wheelchair up to the flight deck and introduce myself. :D

The interior looks really smart like that, nice work! I was just thinking the other day a purple checked interior would look ace too!

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Cheers guys! glad you like it, haha Dave as long as I have ruby and a r34 I'll be good:rolleyes: One of my mates who flies for Cathay Pacific now still has his civic soooo you never know:D

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Just a quick update!

Seeings as my old radio was knackered (somehow managed to spill hot chocolate on it) the display had completely gone and the twisty nob had fallen off!:rolleyes: My dad bought me a new one for my birthday which has made me much happier:p

11774743_10204549244755933_265557530_n.jpg

custom colours! had to go green and purple:cool:

Anyway a big update should be arriving in the post tomorrow which I can't wait for:rolleyes:

Haven't decided yet. Waiting for my 10 mm spacers to arrive, fit them with my old black alloys to see how she corners on them first.

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Also another mini update! Managed to grab one of the last remaining ones before Nodspeed disappears:(

11798518_10204600253231113_848137751_n.jpg

Finishing off the springs tomorrow so shall stick it on then, and put some pictures up:cool:

OP
OP
Josh_MR
I've only had a chance to take some photos with my phone, so excuse the quality buttttttt:
firstloweredrubypic.jpg
ruby+miapetrolstation.jpg

Got a compliment off the attendant in the petrol station toooo!:D

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Sorry for the noob question but if I put lowering springs on my micra will I need an adjustable rod ??

Haha no worries mate, there are more qualified people here to answer that, but from my knowledge; you should be okay if your lowering up to 35mm. Anything more than that (my 50mm springs) will need an adjustable rod, the difference in "poke" if that's the right word is noticeable aswell!:)

Cheers for the info mate. . Sorry for hijacking your thread but is there an online store you would recommend for buying micra parts like that from ??

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Cheers for the info mate. . Sorry for hijacking your thread but is there an online store you would recommend for buying micra parts like that from ??

Honestly no worries mate! There are quite a few places, Matt Humphries is where i got the springs from, and he does at host of other bits/rally orientated parts for micra's (check out his website) other than that they're sort of everywhere just stick whatever you need into google:p Also check out the buy and sell part of the website, always good stuff on there and micra related facebook pages are also really handy too!:) Hope that helps:)

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Been a bit quiet for 2 months, but a couple of bits have been done!

- De-wipered
- De-stickered
- De-"bad boy bonnet taped":p
- Panhard rod on
- 10mm spacers for the rear arrived today:cool:
- Spoiler courtesy of @davyboy hopefully arriving on friday

I'll try and get some photos stuck up tomorrow with the bits i've done, plus some spring swap photos stuck in for good measure:)

On the buy/do list:
- Wooden steering wheel, boss and snap off boss
- Rocker cover needs a painting
- Cold air intake ducting needs a sorting out
- Steelies need a fresh and more interesting lick of paint

So keep an eye out tomorrow!:p

OP
OP
Josh_MR
Photos as promised:p:

ruby1.jpg

As she sits at the moment, excuse the quality, everythings taken with my phone:rolleyes:

ruby4.jpg

side onn

ruby2.jpg

My current favourite, makes her look really lowwwwww:D

ruby3.jpg

de-wipered, and de-sticker plus a players sticker:cool: march sticker to make her a bit more jdm:rolleyes: forgot to add before got pressed plates now, which i love:)

ruby5.jpg

I just had to take this picture:p

Hope you lot like them!:D

OP
OP
Josh_MR
ruby1.JPG
ruby2.JPG
ruby4.JPG
ruby5.JPG

Popped down to asda car park to get a nice backdrop:p as the watermark suggests fill free to follow me on instagram: @joshlawford_ plus a photography "company" i've set up with mates @jdmedia__ :rolleyes::D