My K10 Is In Trouble !

W

winstonerogers

Hi guys,
As you all know (or don't know, i have a 1989 Micra K10 GSX).
about 2 weeks ago when i was driving my K10 the car would suddly want to stop, (smiliar to stalling), but i was going roughly 40mph.

As i drive the car would suddnly want to stop and then kicks in a goes again.

I took it to my mechanic, he rove it and said it was electrial.

So i changed my Spark plugs, The Rotary Arm, and Distributor Cap. Then my car was perfect for about a week, now its acting up again. So i took it back and they said it could be the distributor.

So does anyone think it could be something else or does anybody happen to have a spare distributor that they wouldn't want. Any Ideas???

HELP

The Car:
1989 Nissan Micra K10 GSX 3-Door Manual. roughly 56K Miles

Thx In Advance

I had that exact problem. You have to check the contact breaker points of the ignition, and if needed, replace them. If you do, change the condenser also, otherwise it might give some trouble in the future (had it before).

Good luck !

OP
OP
W

winstonerogers

Hi Guys,
Took my car down to my mechanic, after a long day they said it was the HT Leads. So it only cost me £18. And they said sumthing about the carb mixture.

I dropped my car off at my mechaincs at 9.30am and picked it up at around 5pm. The whole day i felt lost, i was immobile.

Glad to say still another k10 lives to tell another story.

Thx for the help, but you were all wrong ::laugh:

OP
OP
W

winstonerogers

Why is that funny? Im not too sure, but they look factory....is that bad? ive seen sum on ebay around £50, thats crazy, what difference does it make anyway?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
winstonerogers said:
Why is that funny?

I think sammo was on the beers last night

winstonerogers said:
Im not too sure, but they look factory....is that bad? ive seen sum on ebay around £50, thats crazy, what difference does it make anyway?

Official Nissan leads are the best, they'l also be the most reliable and will need changing less frequently than others, such as Halfords own and Bosch.

Winstonerogers,

Sorry for the chuckle, it is morning now (afternoon??) and I can see that this is a completely separate thread...oops

There was some discussion as to the poor quality of Bosch HT components in a previous thread and I got mixed up in my inebriated state.

By the way, mine are Bosch!!

Anyway here’s something potentially useful: I have recently was tinkering under the bonnet, and I found that I would get a shock by touching the HT leads while the engine was running…My theory was that I was getting severe leakage over the outer insulation of the leads….Any way, one at a time I took the leads off and cleaned ALL of the crap and grime that had deposited in the leads and the connectors using WD40 and Kitchen Roll. The leads looked like new. When they were refitted I repeated the Grab test (not recommended) and although I could still feel the HT pulses, they were very mild after cleaning compared with “ouch”.

I’m goanna see if this makes any difference to efficiency over the next tank load

You do pay for the brand name partially, but the main difference between good leads and crap leads is:

Good Leads compared with crap ones:-
Outer insulation resistance/impedance is higher
Outer insulation does not deteriorate much with time
Inner conductor resistance/impedance is lower
Connector contacts are more secure
The inner conductor is more robust and less likely to break after lots if vibration and plug inspections/changes

Crap leads oppose these points

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
mine did this just before the Dissy went, how many miles has it done? is it a facelift '89 or pre facelift? if its face lift then it has electronic dissy and i bet that is the problem ;) i know alot about this as i had a 7 hour trip back from santa pod with the AA after mine went :D

OP
OP
W

winstonerogers

By the way, alot of you lot said check the breaker points of the ignition, my mechanic said its 'electric' not sure what he was talking about and not 'platinum' i think.....anywasy he said if its electric it aint got breaker points.

SOMEONE TELL ME THE TRUTH!

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
SammoHung said:
Anyway here’s something potentially useful: I have recently was tinkering under the bonnet, and I found that I would get a shock by touching the HT leads while the engine was running…My theory was that I was getting severe leakage over the outer insulation of the leads….Any way, one at a time I took the leads off and cleaned ALL of the crap and grime that had deposited in the leads and the connectors using WD40 and Kitchen Roll. The leads looked like new. When they were refitted I repeated the Grab test (not recommended) and although I could still feel the HT pulses, they were very mild after cleaning compared with “ouch”.

every car with ht leads will give you a shock, you only got a mild shock after you sprayed them with wd40 as the wd40 will seal them for a small period of time, even the higher quality nissan ones will give you a shock,

also if you suspect your ht leads to be leaking or arcing out wrap black electrical tape around every lead and this will stop them arcing or leaking