13" Mini Ultralites -post#29
Central Locking Kit -post#46
Modifing GA16 airbox -post#56
1.0 Exhaust Camshaft refit -post#59
Tailgate Solinoid Guide -post#69
Corsa b Coilover Guide -post#90
13x7 Ford Brooklands -post#134
Frank's 13x6.5 steels -post#256
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
18/08/2010
Introduction

Hello. I've been a forum member for a while now just lurking around, but after a few mods I thought it was about time I got my own blog. This isn't going to be anything special, just going to be a simple little everyday family car, so nothing too wild. So this is just a little blog updating my progress.

Anyway, a little about me, I'm 22 and I've just finished uni, which means I've got a lot of time on my hands, most of it going into the car.

And now the car, It was given to me by my grandad when he stopped driving, and which I'll admit wasn't the best car I could have wished for at the time. However, having only drove my dads car and his company cars, and rarely at that, over the years, I was happy to have one of my own no matter what it was. But after a few days of driving it like an old granny changing gears before the powerband I started learning the engine and I Loved it - it's such an underated car when you drive it right.

With being into cars since I can remember, I wanted to "mod" it. I've never been into aggressive body kits or massive wheels, but always admired the 'euro' styled cars or atleast ones that are sleek and subtle. But all the modified Micra's I've seen around my area looked like all the corsa's and nova's, with ripspeed alloys, limo tints and 4"backboxes, so when I saw this site I ironically named my nickname euro_micra to bluntly put forward my intentions from the start that this is not going to be a chav'y car. Although as it turns out there's a lot of micra's on here that I wouldn't mind mine to look like.:)

It took a month or so before I even took a photo of my micra so here it is with a few modifications already done.

4898957940_57b6489d93_z.jpg

Cg13 camshafts-
Bought these from Sulur a bit ago and fitted them soon after. Followed the haynes manual with a mate who knows what he's doing. Went in ok and started fine, but when I took it out for a test drive it was crazy, took ages to pull out in first, as if I put it into 2nd or left the handbrake on, revs would barely go up, put it into second, foot to floor, slowly crept up to 30 then woosh it was off. Powerband was way too high for my liking, but the sound was amazing, like a little race car, was probably not doing the car any favours and cut out at junctions, and sounded like the exhaust could be spitting flames. So had to fiddle with advancing the inlet cam and retarding the exhaust(new experiences for me), but I got a set up that I liked, probably how it should have been. It now has that extra pull around 4-5krpm, compared to 1litre cams, but is still making power at 6k which sounds very v-tec'y.
Although I do have a limited knowledge of tuning engines so I'm saying all this based on my own experiences compared to stock.

GA16 Airbox and K&N Airfilter-
2nd performance modification, has a noticable performance increase but nothing compared to the 1.3 cams. Just slightly better throttle response imo. Noise can be easily be reduced or increased be changing the length of the cold air feed too, I found. I have a 4" tubing reducing to 2.5" going into the box, the longer the 2.5" the quieter it becomes. I've got it so it's quite untill you put you foot down then it growls a bit, but still understated.

Smooth Boot-
First thing I did when I got the car was remove all the stickers and logos from the tailgate. Then replaced the facelift boot handle for a facelifted facelift one and filled and smoothed all the handle down and colour-coded it.
I was going to try the horizontal wiper mod, but wasn't confident on actually cutting the internals up, so while it was off the car I had a grommit plugging the hole. I rarely used the rear wiper so decided to keep it removed, it looked better that way too.
But I got bored with how the tailgate looked uncomplete. So I removed the lock, then fibreglassed the wiper and the lock hole, filled, sanded, smoothed it down and repainted, was supprisingly easy, but not a perfect finish. Also fitted a solenoid with a push button in the blanking plate on the centre dash, and also fitted a hidden key-switch under the boot handle to unlock it from outside. Also painted 'micra' on mudflaps black.

Lowered 45mm-
Frank's blog came in handy for me with this as I couldn't afford the expensive rally -50mm lowering springs. So it was Matiz springs for me, lowered the front about 45-50mm which was an ideal height for everyday driving, but really wanted to lower the rear to match, so I kept checking ebay for other cheap similar sized springs, I settled on some polo/lupo lowering springs and they fit nicely with the rubbers removed, the pig-tail end needs cutting which meant it's barely captive when jacked up, but only lowers the micra about 40mm, at least it's at an even ride height.

Boot Lights-
I bought some clear micra indicators of ebay cheap, but the guy who sold 'em sent me some cheap universal ones instead and wouldn't return my money, and after a month of messin' about I gave in trying to get the ones I ordered. So I sat bored one day and turned them into boot lights. I replaced the amber bulbs with old sidelight ones and wired up a switch to turn them on when the boot opens. Just a nice little feature that helps out at night. Might set one up for the glovebox next.
Switch pressed down:
4902499392_c190c34a26_z.jpg

4902499386_278dea0c9c_z.jpg

Chrome Wheel Trims and Pre-Facelift PlasticTrims-
'cos big plastic trims are crap. Painted two of the wheels black and two blue, couldn't decide which I prefered so I kept them both lol, one colour per side.

Colour-Coded Door Handles-
Simple to do, make the car look better, but took a couple of days to get them back onto the car lol. Had to put my hand through the window wind the windows up as much as possible and slip my hand out when I left it over those days. Got a few looks when I went to get back in.

Carbon-Fibre Gearknob-
Was looking for a simple round gearknob for under £20, there was none, then this richbrook carbonfibre one came up on ebay for less than a fiver, nice shape, so got it as only bidder. Don't like carbon fibre for the sake of being carbon fibre, ie for show. so I painted it black. Also made a custom made gaitor and surround, but I'm not too keen on it.

Upgraded Bulbs-
Phillips crystal white headlights, looks classy on a blue car imo, pure white - much better than ordinary orangey ones. Sidelights to match. Chrome indicator bulbs, cheap and removes the egg yolk effect and makes the headlights look more crystaly I guess. And blue dash bulbs.

DIY Stealth Parcel Shealf-
There's a bunch of guides out there telling you how to make one, mines no different really just done slightly cheaper with thiner mdf screwed underneath existing parcel shealf. Works well and looks stock when viewed from outside, which is what I wanted.
4902555012_76a678d454_z.jpg

So that's it for now, I think I've caught up with my progress. I've done one more thing since these photos and that's put on some new wheels;) Update coming soon with pics.
Comments welcome.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Matt :)
Hey, thanks for the comments guys.

Alloy Wheels-
Here they are just after I got them. They are Strosek 16” 7J with 195/45 Pirelli’s n Michelin's. These rims are pretty rare and usually traded between the VW boys, from what I've heard, so very few become available outside that community. Which means they must be very unique on a micra.
4902447686_b882703d4c_z.jpg

I didn’t intend to buy any alloys bigger than 14”s but after a couple of months of looking at wide dished rims on ebay, I decided they where all out of my price range, except for a few minilites and slotmags which I kept getting out bid on, or sometimes just feeling too stingy to part with any money, which I now regret - almost as bad as when you feel flush and buy crap you don‘t use lol.
So I got these to be my temporary wheels 'till I get some new ones, or untill I lowerer it further.

One problem with the wheels was that the guy before who had ‘em gave them a quick spray with silver paint, which didn’t give the best finish - was rough and could see the paint underneath. So I re-painted them myself properly, was going to go for satin black rim with pearlescent white spokes, but then decided against it as I still want the car to look stock at a distance. So painted them in ford graphite grey metallic, looks good imo, almost sparkly up close and goes well with the rest of the black bits.
4904366861_af24427d2b_z.jpg

Quite surprised how well the 16s look on the micra and how they fill the arches nicely with it being lowered. They run great and car handles much better with the wider tyres, have more confidence going around twisty bends now, as it sticks to the road better. One big problem though is because the car has been lowered, the panhard rod shifts the drivers side rear wheel closer to the arch, and with these wheels it becomes very noticeable as it now rubs. I’ve rolled the arch delicately, using a hammer, which has helped a bit, but with passengers in it, it becomes undrivable. So I’ve removed that wheel for now until I can get an adjustable panhard rod. Or I may sell the wheels to fund some smaller ones, but I‘m not sure yet as I do like ‘em.
fronts:
4903922059_018ab1a00f_z.jpg

rears:
4903922077_a3e595fc77_z.jpg

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Cars height because of the wheels is now at 560mm from floor to the top of arch curve. Still approximately 20mm lower than stock I believe. More pics:

front wheel:
4902475138_00d0de785e_z.jpg

rear:
4902475144_0a14c0a931_z.jpg

front:
4902475154_36d318603f_z.jpg

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Just a little update this week, not done much to the car, but have been making plans for it for the next few weeks.

Colour Coded & De-Bumpstriped
Colour coding was so easy, just spray on primer 'till all black is covered then spray on the basecoat 'till all primer is covered, then finish with a couple of coats of laquer and a quick polish. Simples.

De-bumpstriping was tough, petrol wasn't great and halfords expensive sticky stuff remover was little better but takes 10mins to soften the glue. All-in-all it took about 4 hours to do both sides, then a couple more for t-cutting to a reasonable level - still noticable if you look directly at it - needs something more coarse. On drivers side there were some laquer peel underneath strip, needed sanding and then sprayed with filler primer, then sanded again, sprayed with grey primer, then with basecoat colour- it was then when I ran out of paint, and I now have a horrible patch of grey and blue on the door:doh: ordered some paint so all is good.

Pics:
4931954701_4a4ce24e67_z.jpg

4931954691_f06df7e67a_z.jpg

4931954703_b0fbda42a5_z.jpg

New Wheels- Mini/Ultralites

Just bought, not yet fitted.
4931969977_f9e5a6225c.jpg

To do list:
T-cut doors again.
Refurb wheels.
Repaint door.
Fit wheels

Want-to-do list:
Coilovers/or short struts
CG13 crankshaft and conrods
Lightweight flywheel
and a few subtle visual mods i'm keeping hush 'till they're done, 'cos I don't think anyone heres done them ;)

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

looking good mate :)

where did you get those chrome lip trims? -they're awesome!

Thank you!

From ebay, theres a few new ones for £50-60 a set iirc. I got mine 2nd hand for £16, they have teeth that sort of grip into the paint and causes the wheel to scratch somewhat, so the wheel won't look that good when you remove them, but then why would you want to remove them lol. I think there called wheel embelishers, or just type in chrome wheel trim then scroll down a lot.

Matt

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Yeah liking this car.Love the 16" alloys,shame you're parting with them.Also looks so much better without the bumpstrips..
"simple little everyday family car" lol

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Yeah liking this car.Love the 16" alloys,shame you're parting with them.Also looks so much better without the bumpstrips..
"simple little everyday family car" lol

Thanks for that sleeper. Yeah Strosek alloys are for sale, sort of. Not using them, but don't want to sell 'em just incase they'll fit another car I buy in future lol, but then if the price is right I might let them go.

"simple little everyday family car" - for now anyway:wasntme:

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Paint for the door has arrived this morning, only ordered it last night around 5 o'clock. Bought from auto-paint.co.uk, shopped there before, perfect colourmatch and probably cheapest around too, don't normally plug but can't fault 'em, waayyy better than halfords.

And I now have some shorter front shocks in the post :grinning:

Seriously contemplating selling my alloys and getting some steelies on with them chrome lip things - they're super sweet!...... come to think of it, what are you doing with your steelies ;-)

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Seriously contemplating selling my alloys and getting some steelies on with them chrome lip things - they're super sweet!...... come to think of it, what are you doing with your steelies ;-)

haha that sounds like your going backwards lol downgrading. I do like the look of them but they are 13s with 155/70 tyres which you're reminded of everytime you go around a sharp corner by them squeeling. If you were going to get some I'd go for some 14s from a facelifted facelift, or even 15s from a renault depending on how low you go.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with my steelies, might get them banded, or get some 14s banded and painted cream with classic chrome centre caps and stretched whitewall tyres mmm. But yeah for now I don't know, not selling them yet unless I go for some 14s.

I'm running 15 x 6.5's at the moment - and to be fair they handle perfect, I'm just bored with them really.

In an ideal world I'd like some minilite style 14's - but they never seem to sell for a sensible price on ebay, either that or they get snatched up before I've had a look in :p

Keep thinking about some Renault 5 GTT 5 spokes - but there's something about that 0.9mm bore gap that puts me off :suspect:

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

I'm running 15 x 6.5's at the moment - and to be fair they handle perfect, I'm just bored with them really.

In an ideal world I'd like some minilite style 14's - but they never seem to sell for a sensible price on ebay, either that or they get snatched up before I've had a look in :p

There's always some 13" minilites on ebay, I got mine for 130, but some of them can sell around the 200 mark. 14s would be nicer yeah, don't think I've even seen any though.

What do you think to the wolfrace/cobra slots ? I keep seeing a few 13" and 14" sell for around £70 but ones I've looked at need new tyres and are pick up only and usually too far away:glare:

Keep thinking about some Renault 5 GTT 5 spokes - but there's something about that 0.9mm bore gap that puts me off :suspect:

Do they not share the same centre bore as the Micra then?I thought they did as I believe pj1979 has some fitted iirc.

Good look with the search anyway, it took me about 4-5 months to find some I liked and at the right price. Just got to wait 3 more days before they arrive then I'll be as happy as a kid on xmas mornin.

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
The vast majority of 14" slots that you find on the bay are likely to be 4x114.3 from a scimitar GTE or originally destined for an MGB, though it's likely that they wont be counter bored on the rear from the factory so will be ripe for re-drilling. 13"s will most likely be 4x108 or 4x4" (4x101.6) so will need re-drilling or engineering to fit as of course will any 4x4" wheels originally intended for a mini. I'd use them though, I wouldn't just bolt them up on the original studs, many have before, some have come a cropper, most have survived.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Well this weeks been a bit ####ty. All plans I had for the car and possibly jae(wishfull thinking there though) went out the window when I started my new job. Basic plans were to do a diy refurb on the mini/ultra/superlites - don't actually know what mine are! And fit them, along with some shorter shocks from a matiz, then lower it a little more.

Did manage to make a start with refurbing the wheels. Used Nitromors to remove the peeling, stained laquer and paint, still a few few stubbern bits left but they're coming along very nicely, will look sweet when I get round to finishing and polished them.

before:
4981949129_b307d2b08c_z.jpg

now:
4981949123_8ffa78c858_z.jpg

But did a trial fit...
4960403765_56ce4b780f_z.jpg

...too much poke, especially as I don't have a correct size panhard rod to suit the drop.

All four corners show a little tread to the point that I don't even think stretched tyres'll able to fix it completely, also means spending alot more money. Some negative camber would be awsome but not something I'd be able to do myself. So I'm currently looking for some small subtle arches - really want to get these wheels on.

Matiz Struts/Shocks
Frank and his blog came in handy again for this tip. You can see they are a couple of inches shorter than the micras. The micras in this pic have the Matiz rear springs which gave a 45mm drop.

4982604130_6fcf5662b7_z.jpg

To fit these you'll need to redrill the top two holes where they fasten to the body, or possibly swap the top mounts for the micras which is what I'm doing. Although I haven't done it yet as I can't get that bloody top nut off!!!grr

Rear Springs
Ive mentioned before that I'm using polo/lupo lowering springs on the rear, these gave about a 45mm drop. But in preperation of lowering the fronts further I cut off a couple of coils. They're still captive with the rubbers inplace, you'll need a screwdriver for some leverage to pop them out, but they can be wiggled in their seat a bit when fully extended due to having a smaller diametre. With the coils cut they now lower the rear about 55mm. I'm not sure If that wiggle makes them an MOT failure, if they do I may cut off another coil as they'll still be captive, but only just.
Micra rear on top, VW cut lowering spring bottom:
4961530918_23d39d1b21_z.jpg

MSC Members Pack
Took about 4 weeks but it's here. And Kev's been kind enough to complete my request of reversing the stickers to be placed on the inside of the window, thanks Kev(Y) Some pics of them on the car soon.
4981949131_61e43bcaef_z.jpg

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Golf G60 arches? Corsa B arches (though you'd need 4x front ones, and I'm not sure they'd be deep enough)?

cheers for the info. I know the golfs can fit but a bit too bold and wide I think, would look good but not for me just yet. Not heard about corsa b's arches so will have look into that, I don't need too much of an extension as a bit of diy front camber slotting n an adjustable panhard rod for the rear should help out a bit too.

not actually checked how it would look (primarily because they're hard to get hold of and not cheap), but the arch moulds off the front wings of the new shape mini look like they might fit :wasntme:

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

not actually checked how it would look (primarily because they're hard to get hold of and not cheap), but the arch moulds off the front wings of the new shape mini look like they might fit :wasntme:

I thought about that ages ago before I needed arches, n they looked far too big when I parked next to one. The old mini arches(aftermarket ones maybe) look like they may fit, think someone might have fitted them before. But again think they're a bit too big.

Another thought, a bit crazy too, was to buy a new tyre 15" maybe, cut it up so you've got 2 hoops then cut again so you've got 4 semi-circles n bolt them under the arch so they just cover the actual tyres tread, should be legal, and should look cool. Idea was taken from a caterham(?) I saw on Top Gear years ago btw. Would be nice to see it done anyway.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Seems ages since I last posted, and I haven't really had any spare time to do any of the plans I err planned. I did buy some cheap arch trims of ebay a couple of weeks back. There just wide enough to cover the tread but small enough that they don't look too bold. The plan was to paint them black, or colour-code them.

wheels on without arches:
5027421508_29ffa362e4_z.jpg

5027421498_509f246aaf_z.jpg

5027466066_8f91cb3b0f_z.jpg

with cheapo arches trial fitted:
5027421480_5240b8158a_z.jpg

5027466068_88cf0e06a3_z.jpg

5027466080_2c028f38fb_z.jpg

with a bit more lowering with matiz struts and some negative camber I'm sure they'd be nicely seated under the arches:grinning:
The arches in the pics look quite cheap and they look even cheaper in life, but with some work I think they've got potential to look good and subtle. However I'm not looking forward to insurence going up with arches, but they are called 'arch trims', so I hope it's not too much.

Wind Deflectors-
Never been a fan of the look of these, but since owning a car and driving around almost all of the time with the windows open to hear the engine:blush: I've found wind noise and rain to be a pain in the arse. So I got these heko ones for £22 of ebay. Took a minute each to put on, just got to squeeze them into the window frame.
5027466084_8ef157cd0b_z.jpg

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

If anybody saw this thread I posted you'll know I'm not having much look with the progression of my little micra. I have decided to keep the car, as I need it for work. But have to go back a few steps, the car will be back to stock height, and have the ga16 airbox replaced with the stock one. Because of the stock height I won't be putting on the ultra-lites or arch-trims. And plans for a 1.3 conversion, which was unlikely, has completely vanished. I need this car to be super reliable, so nothing else will be taken off or on the car.

However, I'm now on the look out for another micra as bit of a project/hobby. This car will be kept in my garage while I have the current micra, will be stripped, cleaned and turned into a bit of a jdm, lightweight, retro sleeper with a 1.3, black bumpers, coilovers and ultralites. Will also be pre-facelift this time:wasntme:

However, I'm now on the look out for another micra as bit of a project/hobby. This car will be kept in my garage while I have the current micra, will be stripped, cleaned and turned into a bit of a jdm, lightweight, retro sleeper with a 1.3, black bumpers, coilovers and ultralites. Will also be pre-facelift this time:wasntme:
top idea! prefacelift and JDM styling FTW(Y) bit afraid there is gonna be too many JDM styled micras on the roads though:glare:

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

top idea! prefacelift and JDM styling FTW(Y)

Thanks man, looking forward to it, just got to wait for right one to come up at the right time now. Want 1.3 and electric windows, but basic low-spec bumpers, not sure how to go about that finance wise.

bit afraid there is gonna be too many JDM styled micras on the roads though:glare:

nooo, your jokin' right lol. I've not seen any jdm styled micras, or even marchs at all. I won't be going completely jdm, just tailgate, like yourself and the rear lights. It'll be done in my own little way anyway:blush:

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Those wheels look amazing, they suit the micra so much regardless of how much they stick out :D

I look forward to reading the blog when you get another micra :)

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Bit of an update. Not been doing any more modifications as such, did give it a good service at the weekend. First propper service its had for a few years and was the first service that I've done myself, and found the oil filter to be joke to get off lol. Anyway its running a little bit smoother now with fresh Castrol Magnatec oil in n new NGK spark plugs. Got some Redex to go in soon so will see how it runs after then too.

Have also painted a couple of my steelies:

5071945145_6011aaecf4_z.jpg

5071945151_13e2ddb7a6_z.jpg

Quite like the look of 'em, think they look a tiny bit like ats cups, and do get a few looks too, hopefully all good:laugh: Will get them polished and will take some better full-car pics too.

The future plan for the car is to become a bit more modern. I like older more retro cars but the facelift is a bit iffy in where it sits, it's neither modern nor old. But seeing as I'm going retro with a prefacelift, well as soon as I've bought one, and this becoming a daily, I thought i'd update it a bit and have two micras, one at each extreme, or close to it.

So, I'm currently looking to put in some electric windows, just need the handles and switches. And for the motors and such I might have to get aftermarket ones, I'm not sure, anyone know? I'm also fitting central locking, getting quite annoying having to remind everyone that they've not locked the door, too many times I've walked back to the car and found the passenger door's unlockedgrr anyone recommend any places to get a kit? I'm also going to fit some sound deadener in the doors to cut out outside noise n remove speaker rattle. Might also look into getting a heater or improving the existing one, can't wait 15 mins for it to warm up these mornings. Parking sensors might also be on the cards for my mum as it's becoming her car as much as mine soon. And I really want to fit a cupholder but dunno what to do there, might make my own I think and flush it in somewhere.

Also looking for some more wheels again:laugh: looking for some a bit subtle and are under the arch this time, will probably get some OEM nissan ones from somewhere looking for 14" 5.5-6.5j wide, with a lower profile tyre.

Micras looking ace..read through your post with the mechanic which is abit of a bummer but the 2 car idea sounds like win! those steelies look ace btw mate! you said you painted them..what paint did you use? chrome?

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Those wheels look great! :-D
Micras looking ace..read through your post with the mechanic which is abit of a bummer but the 2 car idea sounds like win! those steelies look ace btw mate! you said you painted them..what paint did you use? chrome?

Thanks guys, wouldn't believe they took only 10 mins to do them both, barely any prep work and just one coat. Yeah was cheap chrome spray paint I had laying around, I had bought gloss black but decided to do try the chrome, not a perfect finish but it'l do me fine 'til I got some alloys put back on.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Desicions desicions. I'm still torn about what to do with my car -that sounds a little silly, but really want to get on with building a good micra(prefacelift) and keep this micra(facelift) as a daily commuter 'till the other's ready. But I'm just not happy with how it stands now, seems incomplete as i'm no longer going the route I intended to go -thats what the 2nd one's for:p
So I'll be going the way I planned a few posts up and will be modernising it a little. My mum will also be driving it at the weekends untill my 2nd ones on the road then its all hers, so no point going too wild anyway.

So whats your opinion? options are:

1. Go back to stock height with OEM 14/15" wheels - for the "is it stock?" look

2. Keep this height but with OEM 14/15" wheels - for the "that must be one fat family" look

3. Keep the same height with dished 14" wheels - for the "that woman must be driving her sons car" look

I don't know what to do yet, I don't have much/any money to throw at it really, but the tyres need replacing and 2nd hand alloys n tyres are about the same if not cheaper than a set of just tyres. I might just compremise and go with lowered on stock alloys.

Regarding the modernising, I'm currently looking at ordering this Remote Central Locking Kit. But still unsure about the electric windows. I'm also planning on making a centre console or customising one, that runs from the bottom of dash to the rear seats that I can incorporate cup holders, cubby holes and an arm rest. May also fit air conditioning from another micra but i'm thinking that it might be easier to buy a new car:laugh:

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

have you a pic of the spray can?

Hi, bit of a slow reply, I was hoping there'd already be a pic of it on a shops site but when I searched I couldn't find one, so heres a pic I took just for you.
5084107545_c5d79186c3_z.jpg

The brand's Hycote, and it was just a cheapo can I bought on the whim when I got some other paints, and I wouldn't recommend it if you want to imitate chrome as you don't get a clear reflection, but it is good as a shiney silver.

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
Desicions desicions. I'm still torn about what to do with my car -that sounds a little silly, but really want to get on with building a good micra(prefacelift) and keep this micra(facelift) as a daily commuter 'till the other's ready. But I'm just not happy with how it stands now, seems incomplete as i'm no longer going the route I intended to go -thats what the 2nd one's for:p
So I'll be going the way I planned a few posts up and will be modernising it a little. My mum will also be driving it at the weekends untill my 2nd ones on the road then its all hers, so no point going too wild anyway.

So whats your opinion? options are:

1. Go back to stock height with OEM 14/15" wheels - for the "is it stock?" look

2. Keep this height but with OEM 14/15" wheels - for the "that must be one fat family" look

3. Keep the same height with dished 14" wheels - for the "that woman must be driving her sons car" look

I don't know what to do yet, I don't have much/any money to throw at it really, but the tyres need replacing and 2nd hand alloys n tyres are about the same if not cheaper than a set of just tyres. I might just compremise and go with lowered on stock alloys.

Regarding the modernising, I'm currently looking at ordering this Remote Central Locking Kit. But still unsure about the electric windows. I'm also planning on making a centre console or customising one, that runs from the bottom of dash to the rear seats that I can incorporate cup holders, cubby holes and an arm rest. May also fit air conditioning from another micra but i'm thinking that it might be easier to buy a new car:laugh:

Remote Locking has a very decent price
I wouldn't recommend electric windows - brings a lot of weight...

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Remote Central Locking
It's in and almost sorted. Pic of the kit below. Followed this guide and was quite simple, but if you are interested in the same kit you'll find some annoyances: They give you a complete wiring loom but have skimped on the length of the wires so will need to cut and add your own in places, some of them aren't even the length of our little micras door. The brackets holding the actuators to the doors are also too small. And I can't find a Key-Cutting shop that will actually cut keys:suspect:all of them seem to be just shops that sell pre-made ones so I'm on the search for a real key-cutting shop.

One thing I can't figure out though is how to connect it to the indicators/hazard lights, it is possible but not sure what wire I should be tapping in to. Straight to the indicators?Fuse box?or hazard switch?

Also, I don't think enough power is being sent to the boot solenoid to open it, might need a relay from the battery which is annoying.

And, I can unlock the car from anywhere in my house, which isn’t that great if I press the fob by accident, anyone know how to weaken the signal?

Kit. Will get more pics of installation if you want.
5115384176_031af6dd5b_z.jpg

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
if you done one of those "funny jobs" and are legging it to the car you would want it opening from far away ready to jump in and getaway-dont shorten the signal strength
must be one wire for the hazards/indicators though

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Sound Deadener
My main purpose was to reduce rattles caused by the door speakers. I invested some money on some good speakers a bit ago that I intend to keep for as long as possible, but was annoyed by the odd rattle that occurs. And up to now have just put up with it as there’s loads of other rattles. But just recently I spent a bit of time researching different sound deadeners. A lot of people seem to hate the cheap eBay bitumen stuff commenting that it’s no where near as good as what the professionals use which sounds obvious. But then price wise Dynamat seems absurd. I figured that since I just want to simply stop rattles, best thing to do is to add mass and strength to the weak parts surrounding the speakers. So I used flashing tape which is bitumen based with foil on top. Used about 25square foot worth, in layers covering approximately 18square foot at a total price of £18. The thickest parts surrounding the speakers is about 12mm including the doors metal. Now I can’t compare it too ‘proper’ sound deadeners as I’ve never used them, but I’m pleased with the result, I’ve not heard a rattle and the bass and clarity have improved too which is good, doors also clunk shut with about an extra 1kg in each.
Looks messy, but it's a cheap first attempt at some easy sound deadening. I've done both sides of the interior door skin and the back of the actual door sheet.
5132803278_9a5c1c7096_z.jpg

if you done one of those "funny jobs" and are legging it to the car you would want it opening from far away ready to jump in and getaway-dont shorten the signal strength
must be one wire for the hazards/indicators though

:pgood point lol. It is a bit too strong I reckon though, I've already found that I've accidently unlocked the car twice in last few hours because It's been pressed in my pocket, will just have to not put it in my pocket from now on lol.
Theres a wire from coming from the central locking unit for the indicators, it's just where does that wire go??

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

I'm now covering about 260miles and sitting for about 12hours in my micra each week, so I'll be definitely sticking with the route of updating it. I could, if I really wanted to, is trade it in for another car, but where's the fun in that:grinning:this is my new hobby.

I've now gotten around to swapping the temporary cheap aluminium air feed for a black 65mm neoprene one. It's 30mm smaller in diameter so I expected it to be a bit quieter, but it’s louder somehow, maybe because of it's smoother delivery of air or something. But anyway it's too loud for me, sounds like I’m driving it hard when I’m not, so I'm making a baffle or something that can reduce the noise.

Want to change the suspension again now, as it can be too uncomfortable on bumpy roads at the minute, sat about 15mm above the bumpstop at rear while the fronts are just too soft. Still want to keep the good handling so want to try the matiz struts I've got already, with some shortened rear shocks, but still can't get that nut off the matiz strut, and don't know how to go about doing the rears, so it’s staying as it is and I’m desperately looking for an alternative -corsa coilovers might be on the cards.

I'm also looking for more power. I know, I did say I wasn't going to do anything else with it, but it really needs some 1.3 oomph. Definitely needs that extra low to mid pull that the 1.0 lacks. It's like being in little race car lately with me revving it all time and having to stir the gearbox to stay in the power band, not that I don’t like that, but can get a bit tedious.

Still on the lookout for a prefacelift, looking for 1.3 decent condition in green or grey(Y)