My car won't start!!!

pixieness

Ex. Club Member
Waaaaiiillllll :down: My poor little car won't start. Engine's turning over but it's not catching. I've had to phone my breakdown cover to come and get him and see what's the matter. Good job I found out now and not 30 minutes before I was due to be tutoring in Stevenage!

I'll keep you all informed as to what ailment has got poor Dante. I do remember reading some posts on here about the cars flooding... but he's been standing for a week before and has turned first time. Maybe the snow's got him. I dunno.

I'll send £1 to anyone who can work out what's wrong with him before the mechanics do! And no, I HAVEN'T forgotten to fill him up with petrol! (That was my darling boyfriend's initial response :grinning:)

moddedmicra

my misses,s turns over ok and 49 times out of 50 fires up a treat, but if the voltage is below about 11v it just wont fire, and i have to bump it down our hill about once a month

mine used to turn over aswell loads, but would never (easily) start, think it turned out to be the dizzy wasnt firing properly / was on its way out...when it would start youd get a lovely cloud of smoke, and the smell of half a tank of petrol escaping unburnt, lol....but it never flooded. :)

yes, she bought her,s in 99 and its never missed a beat and really good on fuel, if i fit a new battery it would start ok for another couple of years, then do the same again

mine used to turn over aswell loads, but would never (easily) start, think it turned out to be the dizzy wasnt firing properly / was on its way out...when it would start youd get a lovely cloud of smoke, and the smell of half a tank of petrol escaping unburnt, lol....but it never flooded. :)

And the prize of £1 goes to Solarice!!!! Would you like a cheque, postal order, or PayPal? :laugh: (That said, he has NEVER not started before, and I've had him 6 months. Mechanic said the air filter's filthy...!!!! Oops! Should probably look into that service that was due November...)

He lives! And now I can go to the gym. *cheers*

So it was the dizzy then.... :eek: *does a victory dance* lol.

I'll let you keep the prize, buy yourself some sweets :D good to know it seems to be fixed now...and yeah sounds like that filter needs changing... :)

I don't know what to do under the bonnet. When it wouldn't start, I did that thing... you know, pulled the handle, opened the bonnet, looked under it and thought... "Hmm, there's an engine. And some other black-covered stuff. And... hmmm..." So I checked the oil *lol*

Right. Need to get wee Dante serviced, me thinks!!!!! Any hints or tips on where to go around Herts?

P.S. I bought some Flumps :laugh:

I don't know. What do you get done in a service? I've never owned a car that made is as far as an MOT before never mind a service!

(Seriously, none of you realised I was THIS dim about cars, didya?)

Does it have any service history?
So what did they say was actually stopping the car from starting?
Craig

I don't know what to do under the bonnet. When it wouldn't start, I did that thing... you know, pulled the handle, opened the bonnet, looked under it and thought... "Hmm, there's an engine. And some other black-covered stuff. And... hmmm..." So I checked the oil *lol*

Right. Need to get wee Dante serviced, me thinks!!!!! Any hints or tips on where to go around Herts?

P.S. I bought some Flumps :laugh:
Can I have the flumps? :p

Servicing, I found Mr Clutch were pretty good for me over here in Kent, and they have varying grades of services, Bronze, Silver, Gold etc, you get the idea.

In fact look what I just found, this might help (you might need to squint a tad!):

serviceSchedule.jpg

Bronze service for my car (and anything under a 1.6 I think) was £29.99

Hope that helps!

Back