My beloved Network Headz...

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
my dear friend has an ancient Tiny PC... ok well not that old... but his modem is from TalkTalk and not wireless... he has just brought a Toshiba laptop... and wants to go wireless...

So...

1. Can he add the Netgear Wireless router to his XP PC and connect to the internet via this? I'm hearing rumours that the firmware has to be flashed or something on the router?

2. Once it is all set... would the laptop which is on Vista be able to connect to the net?

3. Can the PCs exchange info. with one another? i.e. copy files from pc1 while on pc2?

Thank youuuuuuu

He just needs a wireless router of some sort, Netgear is fine :)

The computer can be connected via RJ45/a network patch lead, then the laptop will be fine to connect wirelessly.

Just make sure that WPA encryption is used on the wireless connection.

Yes the computers will be able to share their files as long as you enable file/printer sharing.

Needs wireless router, then on each computer make sure file sharing is setup and then you'll be able to share to you delight and use internet on all PC's, it's a simple task and very useful.

Can't go wrong with a Netgear but will warn you, I was setting up mates Netgear on his TalkTalk and I had loadsa trouble, had to change MTU value in the settings.

Not worth going into what MTU is but some ISP's need this lowering, the option would be in the wireless router, can't remember what I set it to but can find out if whne you try you need the help

Back