My 1st project. Girl+Micra = Confused (but learning)

Ok so getting a Micra as my first car was pretty much because the car was cheap. I didn't even know these cars had such a cult following so only joined this site for info on what wheels would fit, but yeah have spent a lot of tiem on the forum since I bought it and have gotten the Micra bug. Now I don't see this car as a cheapo to get used to driving in but more so a project. I actually love the car, no plans to do any mad modifications as its only 1L and bodywork is tatty but alloys and maybe an aftermarket exxhaust appeal.

Picked up a 1993 Micra 1L for 200. Had a few bumps and dinks but mechanically sound and had some metro alloys on it (not sure what type I'll take a pic later)

But when I took it for the MOT, they said all 4 wheels needed replacing and quoted me 180 for four new tyres. Being a student and first time drive I can't justify spending 180 for tyres on a 200 car.

So I hunted around for 2nd hand tyres and rims, I was ok with standard metal rims and thought I'd paint them like I've seen some people do on here. But I found a set of four: Smiths 14" Alloy wheels (3 Spokes). The alloys are scuffed and what not but still quite nice looking and all the tyres are good, 3 @ 6mm tread and 1 @ 4mm. I'd like to spray the alloys black, but because the tyres are already on I think it'll be more hassle then it's worth as I'm not very technical regarding taking tyres off and then putting them back on etc.

Also one of my door handles the passengers side was totally gone, the door is still functioning from the inside so I guess the mechanism is fine it's just the plastic outside handle. The handle on drivers side while still there has a massive crack through the middle and I know sometime soon it's going to come off in my hand.

Car = 200 quid.

I've bought the 4 alloys for 40 quid. Will cost about 10 in petrol to collect them.

Also spent 22 quid on a new set of door handles.

All in so far less then 300.

I'm not worried about the dinks and dents and scratches on the exterior. I don't mind it looking like it's had a hard life, and these 14" alloys should make it look a little bit more then standard but not OTT. So with these new purchases I'm thinking it should pass the MOT and I can finally get it on the road legally.

Pic's to follow once I collect the new alloys, I'll take before and after pics.

I know a lot of you know the in's and out of Micra's but I don't so gonna post on this thread as I go along and keep you all posted as I know i'll need advice as I go along.

MQ. (Y)

ok guys small update collected my alloys today, they are heavily scuffed but still look cool. i think i prefer slightly battered alloys on my car as new alloys on a car with a lot of wear and tear might look out of place.

subtle works for me :p

i haven't fitted them yet, but gonna do it tomorrow afternoon then will get pics up.

the car has a few little scratches where the paint work has been scratched off from day to day use im guessing. i'd like to cover over these parts in the same paint colour. i dont want a pro paint shop job would just like the marks to be covered in red to be less noticeable.

so my question is.... 1993 L reg (k11) micra its the typical red that the majority of micr'as of this model and age are. can anybody tell me what sort of red it is so i can find a matching paint? also can anyone tell me where i can buy it? i won't need a lot, quite a few areas to do but tiny in size.

also one other thing, my speedo and other dials they all work fine but do not illuminate at night. this makes it a nightmare to drive after dark as i can't see what speed im going (quite dangerous on the motorway) lol. i'm guessing even though this is an old car this area is meant to be lit up? if so is is just a bulb/bulbs i need to replace? or is it likely to be a fuse?

thanks in advance for any info

ps. here's the new wheels... (on the car they came from) not mine...

wheels.jpg

Im guessing you have an AJ4 red like mine and funnily enough I have an L reg too... :) Best bet is to try a local automotive store and if that fails then im sure Hellfrauds sells one. They might even do the little sets with a touch up pen which would be ideal for the little scratches that you mentioned.

Im guessing the bulbs in the instrument cluster have died, so you're best bet would be to source some more for the interweb :) im not sure if they are 286 or 501 bulbs but im sure on the guys can correct this.

Get some pics of this badboy up soon :)

Is that a super s that the alloys came off?

Craig

hi craig thanks for the reply.

yes the alloys i bought came from a super s (As in the picture). my brother collected the alloys for me today so i didnt meet the owner who had the super s previously.

but i looked on his ebay account and it appears he sold it very recently for 120 quid! all working but with front end damage! i wish i knew earlier i could have bought it and had all the good bits out of it :p

oh well can't be greedy hehe

£120 is a good price as the parts to replace the damage wouldnt be too expensive! and yeah its nice to have extras like electric windows, central locking, ABS, power steering... RIP Micra SR hehe

As youre on a budget, may i suggest any parts you end up needing you visit a scrap yard first as you can get most parts for ###### all...especially things like dash buld lights, most scrappies will only want a few pence imo.

good luck with the repairs / modding :)

thanks solarice, i deffo will be huntin round the scrappy in the next few weeks. the lack of lights on the dials is driving me crazy!

have attached a few pics of the car as it is now. bought the paint stuff today from halfords 7.99 haven't applied it yet. also gonna fit the wheels tonight if the rain stays away.

can anyone identify what the alloys on the car when i got it are? someone said bbs somebody else said metro wheels? i'm going to try and sell them, there in crappy condition but even if i get a few quid it can go towards other bits i need.

m2.jpg

m1.jpg

Looks good, pretty sure the alloys are just stock nissan ones im afraid. Still might get a few bob on the 'bay.

Make sure you test the paint on an inconspicuous (however you spell it) place first. Theres every chance it could be a bit of what with the age of the paintwork. Mind it doesnt look too faded from the pictures. (Y)

Bulbs are 501 iirc but as hooded suggested if you dont want any flash multi-coloured bulbs just grab some 2nd hand from the scrappy

Thanks for the info Collison. Will picture the old alloys and get em up on fleabay, even if I get 20 quid for em I'd be well happy so will see how it goes.

Thanks for the info about the paint application, I will deffo test it somewhere not too visible first.

I put my new wheels on turns out 3 of the new tyres are nearly new but 1 is near on bald. So looks like I'll still have to shell out for one tyre. But the alloys do look better I think, and with 3 good tyres, still represent good value for money.

m4.jpg

m3.jpg

Latest update, gave it a mega clean... Alloys came up ok. Still haven't fixed the scratches waiting for a day where rain isn't predicted :)

micra.jpg

She's looking good! Wish my new baby looked that nice, even after her first wash she looks like a bit of a doger! I'm also a girl btw... know jack ####e about cars but I'm going to learn come hell or high water!

The alloys are k10 super s alloys, i have the same ones, see my thread for pics and so on. Liking the look of yours, seems fairly clean. Hope you enjoy!

Back