My 1989 March Super Turbo Rebuild

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Well I've decided to make a start on this , turbo has been sent to Turbo Technics today to be rebuilt as there is nearly 100k miles on it roughly I think.Exhaust housing is cracked to ####. Allot of play in the shaft.

So should hear back from them next week.

Other plans are recondition the head,valve seals, seats , clean up ports etc

And also a set of piston rings. I will inspect the main and rod bearing for wear but they should be fine.I am going to modify the oil pump for more pressure also

Here's is a few pictures of o the work so far

02122011009.jpg

02122011011.jpg

03122011014.jpg

03122011015.jpg

03122011017.jpg

03122011018.jpg

04122011019.jpg

04122011020.jpg

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Winter re-builds FTW! We started ours a bit early back in September, should be done around Easter time.......perhaps before, (head depending).

IIRC you have the hybrid 300zx cored HT10/T25 turbo which TT developed for Ed way back when?

Kudos if you have piston rings, I believe Ed couldn't get any last time he was looking but that was a loooooong time ago lol.

Good luck with the build Baz, nice to see an ST well looked after :)

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
good luck baz!
hi-flow the turbo?

What you mean it a hybrid so already flows more than the factory turbo?

Winter re-builds FTW! We started ours a bit early back in September, should be done around Easter time.......perhaps before, (head depending).

IIRC you have the hybrid 300zx cored HT10/T25 turbo which TT developed for Ed way back when?

Kudos if you have piston rings, I believe Ed couldn't get any last time he was looking but that was a loooooong time ago lol.

Good luck with the build Baz, nice to see an ST well looked after :)

Thanks low rider . yeas its ed's old turbo its a ht10/T2 hybrid

Watch this space, Baz is baaaack :)

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
i have a set of standard big end and main bearings for an ma09, there not nissan tho if you need them?

They are graded to the engine block so to order the correct bearings I would have to use my chassis number. I will see what the shell are like when I have the engine stripped

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Also do you mind me asking where you got bearing for an Ma09 if they are not oem nissan?

dam this not being able to edit my posts, stupid idea to have the site like this

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
MA09 are the same as the MA10/MA12 Baz. If your engine is mid range tolerance then any standard supplier of after market bearings will be fine,such as ACL for example. You don't need to worry about graded bearings just measure the clearance with plastigauge and make sure its within 1-2 thou.

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
MA09 are the same as the MA10/MA12 Baz. If your engine is mid range tolerance then any standard supplier of after market bearings will be fine,such as ACL for example. You don't need to worry about graded bearings just measure the clearance with plastigauge and make sure its within 1-2 thou.

Good info there Ed , thanks

aLLeKs

Club Member (Trial)
I will bet with you, that there will be no wear in the piston rings ;) I took an ma12 engine appart with 250.000km on it and they were like brand new! Ok well it was not turboed, but anyways, the engines are very stable

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Just off the phone with Turbo technics,the turbo need a complete rebuild,I will have a phone call tomorrow about pricing, intially I was told between £195-375. I also found the old receipt that Ed supplied me with the turbo was built in 2002 so I think it time for a rebuild :laugh:

I will bet with you, that there will be no wear in the piston rings ;) I took an ma12 engine appart with 250.000km on it and they were like brand new! Ok well it was not turboed, but anyways, the engines are very stable

Compression isnt great on cylinder 1 so might have a problem there although could be a valve sealing problem and not the rings

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Just out of curiousity wouldn`t be cheaper to get another turbo unit, or has some mods been made to the existing one?

As said already in this thread its a hybrid turbo soyes it been modifyed from the original HT10. I am going to have a basically a brand new turbo at the end of it. Cost to Ed when it was built back in 2002 was £938 including vat, so I think between £195-375 to recondition it is a small price to pay for a bolt on turbo and away I go. Trying to make another turbo fit wiould just annoy me(Y)

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Not really cut off the old flange weld on the new one like a T2 flange or t25 the exhaust housing to down pipe flange again cut off yours weld on new they cost about £10 each off eBay for new weld on flanges might save allot of time and money in the long run as T2 turbo are less than 100 to pick up as are T25

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Not really cut off the old flange weld on the new one like a T2 flange or t25 the exhaust housing to down pipe flange again cut off yours weld on new they cost about £10 each off eBay for new weld on flanges might save allot of time and money in the long run as T2 turbo are less than 100 to pick up as are T25

Point taking(Y)

if you like for turbo look also the Garrett GT-17 . one of those is on my friends St with new manifold and emanage blue with ecu 44 and it rocks. u will give the same monay and you will have a brand new garrett.

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
So I got a call from turbo technics with a full report on the turbo.:mad) Compressor wheel has foriegn object damage i reckon from rubbing against the compressor housing, journal bearings worn,competition 360deg trust bearing worn, piston ring(oil seal) groves worn, wastegate hole cracked and a broken stud,that will have to have a few hours machine work done on it, so basically a full rebuild plus a new compressor wheel and shaft. Price is mad but I need to get it done , I reckon there is about 100k miles if not more on that turbo, it was built by them back in 2002 I bought in 2007 .

hmm....if you are going to change basically everything, consider convertign to a ball bearing instead of bush bearing core. A same size turbo in ball bearing will come on boost about 500rpm sooner, I reckon that is worthwhile on these motors...probably 20-30% more expensive, but a much better result

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Quiet surprised about that level of damage, but I did about 50K with it I guess. Possibly more. Unlike duncan although I like rr core get Journal they can be rebuilt and don't cost £500-700 for a core alone. + they take a LOT MORE ABUSE.

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Quiet surprised about that level of damage, but I did about 50K with it I guess. Possibly more. Unlike duncan although I like rr core get Journal they can be rebuilt and don't cost £500-700 for a core alone. + they take a LOT MORE ABUSE.

Most of the play was in the shaft when i bought it from you and the wastegate cracked but still performed great, maybe all that free spooling you did lol:laugh:

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Boost control is for pu***es lol. Was aware of cracked w/gate (it was there when it was built) but not the shaft play :)

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Got this email today All going well shoould have done for a trackday in feb

Good news the turbo is finished and will ship today. Will be with you for Monday!

Ryan Eberhard
Turbo Sales Executive
Turbo Technics Ltd.
2 Sketty Close
Brackmills
Northampton
NN4 7PL
01604 705050
www.turbotechnics.com

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
This box arrived this morning, very impressed with it, basically a new turbo:D
They had to use a Ht07 Exhaust housing which they failed to mention so I phoned them and they said they machined the housing to fit. Im not so sure the downpipe will even fit. My Ht10 housing was beyond repair

16012012019.jpg

16012012020.jpg

16012012021.jpg

16012012022.jpg

16012012023.jpg

16012012024.jpg

New studs, nuts, water and oil feed, copper washers and oil return gasket

16012012025.jpg

16012012026.jpg

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
HT07 and HT10 should be the same. Same spec as before?

Exhaust housing smaller from the outside for definite but he assured me the internal dimensions are the same.

Same spec as before although looks like more modern parts used or maybe just that its very shiney:laugh:

look like a nice complete job and kit. the external housing size only matters in terms if whether it bolts up OK, and if necessary new flanges for exhaust manifold and dump pipe are readily available (just cut and re-weld the flange)

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
look like a nice complete job and kit. the external housing size only matters in terms if whether it bolts up OK, and if necessary new flanges for exhaust manifold and dump pipe are readily available (just cut and re-weld the flange)

Nice one man thanks

Sweeeeet.Looks like a brand new hybrid.

Basically is bar the tubine wheel and compressor cover:laugh:

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Small update, Ive refitted the turbo and cleaned underneath the rocker cover as looked sorry for itself. I have bought a head gasket kit aswell just incase it is actually gone.

08042012155.jpg

08042012156.jpg

07042012154.jpg

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Ordered a pair of these the other day . 25% more expensive since the last time I bought them :(
A048-R in 185/55 14

yok_a048r.jpg

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
So I had a bit of a bad feeling leaving the engine untouched so I removed the head and found the gasket to be leaking slightly and cracks across the plugs hole to the valve seats so got it pressure tested and it for the bin unfortunetely:(

Luckily I have found one so Ive dropped that in to get skimmed , new valve seals and the seats recut, should have it back Friday. I also bought 2 sparco fixed bucket seats for the car as I will only be using it on track from now on really

Very nice projct, I always envy the people who got a genuine March ST with a MA09ERT, so few people who actually know how badass that little car is. Anyway I always wondered, whats the fuel consumption on the car? I read in de factory-manuel that it is around 6.2l/100km (think it's 3.85l/100miles). And parts, is the 0.9l engine compatible with parts from another K10? I mean is the headgasket, valves, pump, ignition control, main belt, waterpump,... the same as a 1.0l or 1.2l engine of a normal K10 micra? I always wondered, anyway car is looking good, you may be proud to have one ;)

Provo

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Very nice projct, I always envy the people who got a genuine March ST with a MA09ERT, so few people who actually know how badass that little car is. Anyway I always wondered, whats the fuel consumption on the car? I read in de factory-manuel that it is around 6.2l/100km (think it's 3.85l/100miles). And parts, is the 0.9l engine compatible with parts from another K10? I mean is the headgasket, valves, pump, ignition control, main belt, waterpump,... the same as a 1.0l or 1.2l engine of a normal K10 micra? I always wondered, anyway car is looking good, you may be proud to have one ;)

Provo

Thanks mate. Fuel consumption is not really a big factor with a small car for me so I actually cannot remember , I think around 280km per tank.
As regards the engine, the ma09 block is completely different really, you can do a search of the forum and it will show all the differences. , Water pump (round toothed), timing belt are compatible out of you list there.

If I look to your photo's it seems the upper cylinder gasket (the one with valves init, don't know what you guys call it since I'm from Belgium ^^) looks strangly familiar with the normal K10, I thought the MA09ERT had a direct injection system with injectors on top, but I can't see them anywhere? What are ur future plans with car (about upgrades etc)?

I actually browsed alot on the forum about the ST's and I'm eagered to get one myself since I'm a huge fan of the K10 model (about its simplicity)