Multiple Monitor help

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Mate of mine has just got two 20" monitors, an Nvidia graphics card, can't remember waht but I know it's above average.

When watching a video it has to be on one screen, try splitting over the 2 and one side is black, i know this to be normal but how can he get the video to fit over both? Like when you go HMW or somewhere where they have like 20 screens working as one large one.

Cheers

Titch

Micra K11ng
^^^^^^^^^^^

Was just going to suggest that. Don't the card have to be enable for multi screen showing or something? If you can find that thne there must be an option to strech to screen or something...

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Titch said:
^^^^^^^^^^^

Was just going to suggest that. Don't the card have to be enable for multi screen showing or something? If you can find that thne there must be an option to strech to screen or something...

yeah, there should be an option in the graphics card settings which splits or duplicates the image across several screens. We've got a 5 screen setup at work and it works fine :) Not much configuration to it either

James

Chairman
I think what you need here is Nvidias "Desktop Spanning" option which bascially tricks Windows into thinking it's one monitor with an insanely wide screen res.

For example 2 x 1280x1024 monitors would have a spanned resolution of 2560x1024. I'm not entirely sure on the facts and figures as my multi monitor set up at work uses an ATI Radeon card which doesn't handle multiple monitors very well (I only have the start bar on the left hand monitor).

James.

James

Chairman
I did just think though, a lot of graphics cars have issues with having a video overlay on two different monitors, very often the "secondary" monitor will not show any video at all, just a black box.

OP
OP
goldstar0011

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Desktop spanning does not work, tried it on a dual monitor setup here.

The guy has some serious processor power and RAM to use up, I was thinking to actually span over 2 monitors the video would need to be re-processed to send to each screen but is there software or hardware to do it?

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
its a case of finding the option on the graphics card settings in windows. Ive never done this but i guess it is possible. I do know ive had a tv hooked to PC once and when i play a video it auto maxes on the TV and plays like it was on the TV and i can still use the PC as i see the desktop on monitor. If not i think Maplin or Micro Direct will do like a video splitter of some kind for your requirements. :)

OP
OP
goldstar0011

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
How many times do I need to say this, windows and nvidia drivers can not seperate the video! they can do the programs, images, desktop but not the video itself.

A video splitter, thats useless, it takes one inpit and puts onto multiple screens as in screen cloning

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
I'm sure there's a specific piece of harware for this..... I'm sure it's like a box that you plug into the graphics card, and plug all the monitors into that, and it does some magic.... not 80% sure though

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Alienfish360 said:
I'm sure there's a specific piece of harware for this..... I'm sure it's like a box that you plug into the graphics card, and plug all the monitors into that, and it does some magic.... not 80% sure though

That would just clone the screens like goldstar / others have said, as this hardware box only receives one input signal from the PC. We also have these at work.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Nvidia cannot span across two monitors with video overlay. The only way to do this is to turn overlay OFF then its rendered like a normal image onto the monitor and it should work, but you wont get overlay video acceleration.

Ed

James

Chairman
Which by the way is this:
9.wmplayer.JPG

:)