mpg.

so recently ive been checking my mpg out,
im only getting roughly 250 miles to the tank?
is this average?
a little bit dissapointed that im doing a tank a week.. when all of my mates are getting roughly 2 weeks to a tank,
cheers for any help!

Its always cause of young drivers driving them like hooligans = bad mpg lol.

Do your mates have micra's too...or do they have...for example, pugs?

EG:
Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Club (2000) has a 44 litre tank
Volkswagon Polo 1.4 S has a 45 litre Tank
Citroen Saxo 1.1 first has a 45 litre Tank
Toyota Starlet S 1.3 has a 45 litre tank
Peugout 206 1.1 independence has a 50 litre tank
...a K11 has a slightly smaller 42.. ?
(...my K12 has 46 so i can get 480 miles, usually, before/when the little light comes on :p)

do they drive as far as you each week?.... (live closer to college/work, work less days etc)
do they drive like their nan?
are you sure they only top up every 2 weeks...is it not possible they sneak the odd tenner in when you're not looking? :p
does that shed any light?

well,
i do on average 250-300 miles a week, my mates do less that that, 200 min, but yet theyre still getting more than me?
i drive prittty economicaly for a young'en! 4th/5th at 30! dont give it the big'en anymore,
so im a little lost one what it could be.

i done my mpg tests alot of times so it will be 250-290 per tank. Still i need to do TB & MAF service, major service, wheel tracking & alignment and good quality tyres soon

im going to drop my standard air filter back on it tommorow, check all tyre pressures etc. then see what i get

Cone filter hmm?

Induction noise = heavier foot to sound like a bad man = less mpg

Mystery solved.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

Tyre pressures make a big difference on K11's it's a good idea to check those as well.

Ed said:
Tyre pressures make a big difference on K11's it's a good idea to check those as well.

I can vouch for that. My tyres were 18psi couple months back and noticed maintaining motorway speeds needed just a lil more gas.

I keep them topped up to 30psi weekly.

I can vouch for that. My tyres were 18psi couple months back and noticed maintaining motorway speeds needed just a lil more gas.

I keep them topped up to 30psi weekly.

I had mine at around 19psi and then put did all my tyres last week at 44psi. It says 44 max pressure on my tyres so I always keep them at 44psi as if I'm carrying a heavy load. Well I do weigh 21 stone! Is 44psi too much?

I had mine at around 19psi and then put did all my tyres last week at 44psi. It says 44 max pressure on my tyres so I always keep them at 44psi as if I'm carrying a heavy load. Well I do weigh 21 stone! Is 44psi too much?
I just have the standard wheels aswell, which are 14inch I think!

44 is too much. You'll find it can get twitchy in the wet.

30-32 is about right.

44 is too much. You'll find it can get twitchy in the wet.

30-32 is about right.
OK cheers mate, will do them at 32 tomorrow. Would having them at 44 explain the humming sound / windy sound I'm getting at the mo? Its coming from the passenger side but couldn't be 100%.

OK cheers mate, will do them at 32 tomorrow. Would having them at 44 explain the humming sound / windy sound I'm getting at the mo? Its coming from the passenger side but couldn't be 100%.
A whirring sound when going along?
Could be a wheel bearing as they make whirring noises on their way out. Best to get a second opinion, don't want to worry you!

Seeing as the bearing has just been mention, if it does go is it a cheap fix, my parents jazz went and it was something like £200 because you need to buy the ABS ect along with the hub :L

removed the cone filter!
been driving in the snow for the last 10 days... havnt been above 40mph the whole time, so thats a great way to save petrol ;)
yeh done all tyre pressures!
so hopfully should be able to find out what mpg im getting soon.

been driving in the snow for the last 10 days... havnt been above 40mph the whole time, so thats a great way to save petrol ;)

That's not necessarily true given that you might be in a lower gear, and displacing the snow takes more energy. The best conditions for the highest MPG are wet but not flooded roads, the wet reduces the friction.

As to the OP, both you and your mates need to do some simple maths and always brimming the tank to work out accurate mpg's. My 1.3 K11 always does between 45-47mpg, it never sees a motorway either.

A whirring sound when going along?
Could be a wheel bearing as they make whirring noises on their way out. Best to get a second opinion, don't want to worry you!
Thanks mate, I'll get it checked out. I thought it would of shown up on the mot as an advisory item though?

well, just given the micra a check over, water..low, oil...low! checked them all last week, and they were all fine! im no mechanic but i know this is not good news!!

Not good at all =/,

On a note of low oil, how do i check gearbox oil level if possible, or do i just wait until i feel its getting a bit clunky and sticky ?

the way i checked it is, get underneath, on the geerbox theres a plug! on the side, undo this, stick ya for finger inside the box, if you cant feel oil.. its to low! well thats what my boss tought me anyway:rolleyes:

oil and water
well, just given the micra a check over, water..low, oil...low! checked them all last week, and they were all fine! im no mechanic but i know this is not good news!!

if they were fine only the week before id get your car into a garage,

Thought i'd resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one ha :)

Right i recently put £20 in my Micra and after 70 miles the Fuel Light has come back on, Which I know is crap ha :oops: Its a 1.0L, and has Peter Lloyd System on it, 1.6 Injectors, Both Decatted, Cone Filter and It's lowered on Coilovers and It's on 14"s. My journey each day is like 2 miles to and from Work each day and then normally going out on a Weekend. I do have a bit of a Heavy Foot occasionally on a morning but not all the time.

Any Ideas, Starting to get annoying now :(

Thought i'd resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one ha :)

Right i recently put £20 in my Micra and after 70 miles the Fuel Light has come back on, Which I know is crap ha :oops: Its a 1.0L, and has Peter Lloyd System on it, 1.6 Injectors, Both Decatted, Cone Filter and It's lowered on Coilovers and It's on 14"s. My journey each day is like 2 miles to and from Work each day and then normally going out on a Weekend. I do have a bit of a Heavy Foot occasionally on a morning but not all the time.

Any Ideas, Starting to get annoying now :(
A journey of 2 miles is going to wreck your economy as the car will never warm up especially if its town driving and also your lead foot wont help just wondering with the mods is ot also over fuelling perhaps?

Tbh this week I haven't been to bad on the leadfoot and Yeah i know about the short journeys that it doesn't warm up, and the Even before I put the Injectors in it was getting rubbish economy been like this for a while now ha :rolleyes:, Surely shouldn't be this bad tho?

I havnt worked out the mpg but i do about 180-190miles a week, and it costs me about £20-£25. This varies on how much of a rush i am to get to work, not breaking speed limits, but how hard i pull away from the lights and such. Its a 1.4 so booting it makes a fair bit of difference, but 'oldmandriving', which is most of the time, seems to make the fuel last alot better than it did in my old 1.0, but i guess the 1.4 hasnt got to work as hard. Im happy with it, but with the planned wider tyres im getting and K&N/pipercross filter are probably going to make it a little bit worse, we'll see.

im enjoying this fuel econamy while it lasts. getting my 2.0 190 soon, thats just going to drink the stuff.

Managed to reach between 38 to 41 mpg if I put only £10. It's a big difference between full tank and £10. My next plan is going to use half tank top up regularly days.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents in this chat I average about 35 mpg and I travel 238 miles roundtrip in Germany. I've tried to go slower, (because we do have the autobahn and can go as fast as we want) and I just can't seem to get over 35 mpg. My tires are pumped, my fluids are all fresh and new, clean air filter. Nothing maybe it's coz I have a CVT? Any suggestions on getting up the mpg I'm all open ears. (just to let y'all know I'm US dude in Germany)

Do your mates have micra's too...or do they have...for example, pugs?

EG:
Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Club (2000) has a 44 litre tank
Volkswagon Polo 1.4 S has a 45 litre Tank
Citroen Saxo 1.1 first has a 45 litre Tank
Toyota Starlet S 1.3 has a 45 litre tank
Peugout 206 1.1 independence has a 50 litre tank
...a K11 has a slightly smaller 42.. ?
(...my K12 has 46 so i can get 480 miles, usually, before/when the little light comes on :p)

do they drive as far as you each week?.... (live closer to college/work, work less days etc)
do they drive like their nan?
are you sure they only top up every 2 weeks...is it not possible they sneak the odd tenner in when you're not looking? :p
does that shed any light?

another irrelevence, my brother has a subaru justy gx awd and it has a 30L tank.......

i do an average of 160 miles on stop/start runs (dominos delivery) and i'm getting around 35mpg.

this is with no air filter/airbox. just a trumpet from a subwoofer on top of the throttle body.... it gives a GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT noise but helpfully quiet at low revs.

also on 195/50/15 toyo Proxes T1-R tyres on almera GTi rims.

^^^ That's massive, my motorbike has a 2.5 litre tank! yes that's two and a half litres, and it'll just stretch to about 60 miles on it.

jesus what is it?! even my 50cc scooter has a 5L tank.

Silver Honda

copy_of_monsal_head.jpg

Back