Moving vehicle without shocks or springs

Primal_Concrete_Micra

Ex. Club Member
As the title suggests is this possible/safe, only gonna be moving it about a mile or so. Need to get her stripped but the shell has to come back to mine after the weekend as there is very little space up there still.
Anyone have any experience of this and how unsafe it may be? If its a big no no obviously the shocks and springs will have to be left on till the following weekend when i can arrange for the car to be collected for scrap!

Jay

if it wasnt far i would say if you have a pair of 5 tone jacks you could move it on them but not 1 mile lol.

i assume you are wanting to tow it to the destination? if so i dont think there is a safe way to do it :p

a quick surgestion, pipeing in the front and some kind of chocks on the rear spring plate and find some way to enshure there not coming out in the event of you hitting bumps.

might be a case of borrowing my mates jack and taking the shocks and springs off once the car gets back down here! I assume it wont be too much trouble loading it onto the back of a truck without them?

depends on the truch realy if it has a crane then i can be just lifted on, if it has the winch to pull it on then you will need to find a way to roll it onto the flat bed, (the old, slideing on the logs lol)

why dont you just take it to be striped and bring it back on just on the shocks then its 20secs to take them off when its scraped?

Load is designed to be taken on springs not the shocks.
The shocks damp the spring movement and any bottoming out is not good at all for the shocks and will wreck/bend them.
Some old air shocks that you could pump up and leave would do at a pich if you are towing it but not driving it.
Another option is to cut some old pipe to about the same length and diameter as the installed spring and tack weld it in place.

Back