MOT tomorrow may the force be with the shed

Fingers crossed for my little micra.

The shed is 20 years old this year :eek:

i think it will pass the only advisories last time were one rear shock misting and ive changed both those :)

and the exhaust rubbers at the rear :)

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Fingers crossed for my little micra.

The shed is 20 years old this year :eek:

i think it will pass the only advisories last time were one rear shock misting and ive changed both those :)

and the exhaust rubbers at the rear :)

That's pretty good! Good Luck Shed!! :blush:

As an apprentice in a Nissan dealer changing rear shock absorbers on a K10 could sometimes be quite spectacular!
When the bottom bolt siezed in the bush it was usual practice to burn through the shock absorber with the oxy-acetylene burner.
As the shock absorber is basically a pressurised gas/liquid cylinder you had to drill a hole near the bottom 1st to let the pressure off.

Although every now and then someone forgot usually resulting in a loud bang and a big green flame followed by a mechanic patting his head or overalls furiously! :laugh:

OP
OP
K10 SHED
Failed :doh: not too bad though

back box has a small hole in it (patch or replace)
front nearside tire had a small bulge in the sidewall (spare on now)

OP
OP
K10 SHED
thanks lads

Ive seen a brand new rear box section for £33 delivered on ebay but i thought id try a quick patch on the exhaust as i found a old tube of exhaust paste and it was only two small holes right under the tail pipe.
took the shed round the block to get heat into back box then fired the exhaust paste into the small hole and it started coming out the other small hole next to it. got some foil folded it into a square put a bit of paste on it and slapped it over the two holes.....it seems to not leak now :laugh:

i will see how good it is tomorrow i hope it all goes rock hard overnight job done

edit: that patch didnt work, reved it up in the morning and blew the foil patch straight off :D took it to a small garage i know and he sorted it in 20 mins for £10

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
At the end of the day they are just making sure your car is safe.

Even though it annoying as hell. :D

That was the origional intention by the vosa people, now however it has become a debatable point. When a perfectly solid car is taken in for it's test and the garage hammers a screwdriver into rust-free metal in numerous places, and then quote you £400 to weld it. Then you begin to realise that for many "saftey coucious" mot testers, it's all about trying to screw as much money as they can out of people. The car that was vandalised was indeed welded but it was done elsewhere for £30. The certificate was obtained and later on the offending tester learned the hard way, how it feels when someone ####s up your car. They say; "what goes around, comes around", and with a little help, it comes around much faster :wasntme:

OP
OP
K10 SHED
I take my car to "just MOT's" they just do MOT's nothing else.

I feel better that it's more independent and does not have their "own repair garage" attached to it.
The best bit is if you book 2 months in advance online you get the MOT for £25 with a free 10 day retest if it fails. Thats fantastic value for money. Ive used them 3 times now, nice lads and they explain any advisories or fails.

Ive been stung in the past with a £50 MOT and it failed so i had to pay 1/2 (£25) AGAIN for the retest :wasntme: + £125 to sort a small bit of weilding :doh: as if by pure coincidence it came to a nice round £200 :wasntme:

Did i mention the shed passed....................woohoo! :laugh:

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I had a backbox going for sale too, brand new! Need to shift it as it's taking up space. Glad you got it through though, always a worrying time!

B210Bandit

Ex. Club Member
I use the MOT place in Deptford, SE London and they are great. I've never failed and they seem amused by my rag-tag collection of Jap metal that wander through. Good chance to look under the car for me and they point out bits and pieces that aren't MOT but I should note since I seemed to be keen to keep them in good nick. Had my 21 year old Micra fly through the MOT other day. 8 year old Merc next door failed on multiple counts. :grinning:

anyway, they're not all cowboys. I would never get an MOT at a normal garage if I could avoid it.