MOT passed, time for lowering

Micra Monkey

Ex. Club Member
Micras passed its fifth MOT with me without an advisory in sight :cool: . I've finally decided to get it lowered. I only want about 35mm ish as its really my girlfriends car and its used everday so needs to retain some comfort. I've had slammed cars in the past and soon get fed up of crashing over pot holes and having to stop to get over speed humps or using alternative routes to avoid them altogether. Any ideas? I want shocks and springs for a '94 K11 ......

matiz or suzuki rear springs on the front and corsa rear shocks and 1 coil cut maybe ?
same as my misses,s :)

matiz or suzuki rear springs on the front and corsa rear shocks and 1 coil cut maybe ?
same as my misses,s :)
I know i've seen it on here a thousand times before but which suzuki springs as i have some off a 2000 1ltr swift and would that be 1 coil off the standard micra rear springs. Would i need an adjustable panhard with this setup?

i tried 3 types of suzuki ones (wagon r, alto, and iirc swift) and they were all the same size, and best to drop it first then measure the tuck difference, then decide eh
and yes 1 coil off the bottom (its a deep recess/seat eh)

I wouldn't bother with a panhard rod. I've not changed mine and down about 120mm or so.

Preference I suppose :)
I'm gonna see what it looks like once i'm lowered as i'm only on narrow wheels. But saying that i keep looking at noddies panhard rods .....

I fitted Apex 35mm lowering springs, everything else is stock. I have a boot full of tools and the back seat full of tools, so i carry a lot of weight, i also have it off road on a building site and have no clearance issues. Ride is harsh when empty, but nice loaded. That could also have something to do with the 15" wheels and tires. Nice look for 80 quid.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m14b26s95...2_02_-_30mm_MICRA_-_01_93_to_12_2002_Type_K11

001yb.jpg

002ano.jpg

002eh.jpg

011iv.jpg

That looks spot on for everyday. I think my g/f thinks when its lowered it will be sat on the floor like some others on here (which i would love to do btw) i'll show her the pics of yours. cheers :cool:

That looks spot on for everyday. I think my g/f thinks when its lowered it will be sat on the floor like some others on here (which i would love to do btw) i'll show her the pics of yours. cheers :cool:

I didnt want to go mad, i have tried to keep it with a factory look with the drop and the wheels, it just closed the huge gap in the arches.

I fitted Apex 35mm lowering springs, everything else is stock. I have a boot full of tools and the back seat full of tools, so i carry a lot of weight, i also have it off road on a building site and have no clearance issues. Ride is harsh when empty, but nice loaded. That could also have something to do with the 15" wheels and tires. Nice look for 80 quid.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m14b26s95...2_02_-_30mm_MICRA_-_01_93_to_12_2002_Type_K11
So you just changed the springs and thats it? What does 35mm drop look like with standard 13" wheels?

So you just changed the springs and thats it? What does 35mm drop look like with standard 13" wheels?

From what i have seen with other Micras along with other makes it just tidies the look up, were not talking radical here, just a gentle drop to fill the very large gap nissan gave, and for 80 quid you cant really go wrong and can re sell the springs easily if not happy. I have seen many golfs and clios with the same drop on standardd wheels and depending on what you like i would say it looks better with standard wheels as its still a factory look if you know what i mean.

From what i have seen with other Micras along with other makes it just tidies the look up, were not talking radical here, just a gentle drop to fill the very large gap nissan gave, and for 80 quid you cant really go wrong and can re sell the springs easily if not happy. I have seen many golfs and clios with the same drop on standardd wheels and depending on what you like i would say it looks better with standard wheels as its still a factory look if you know what i mean.
Yeah, don't want to go too low as I'm concerned about my capability to carry loads... I too often have the car full of tools etc. I always thought 30-35mm would be what I'd drop but I want to see what it looks like on 13" wheels. May consider a 40-50mm drop if the arch gap is still quite sizable... but then I want the option to maybe go up to 14" wheels and still hae a decent arch gap with no rub or whatever without having to re-do the springs...

Here is mine on -35mm tein springs and standed 13" steels It still rides fine even with me the misses and the 3 kids in the back it has never been a problem.
The handling is a lot more fun(can even get lift off over steer now) And they only cost me £50 brand new off ebay :)
Micra facroty 002.JPG

Here is mine on -35mm tein springs and standed 13" steels It still rides fine even with me the misses and the 3 kids in the back it has never been a problem.
The handling is a lot more fun(can even get lift off over steer now) And they only cost me £50 brand new off ebay :)
View attachment 20211
Thats not too bad!... So did you only have to change the springs or was there more? What do you mean by lift off over steer? Is the ride comfortable/hard etc?...

I have lowed pretty much every car i have owned and the ride on this one is one of the best have been very happy with the tein's.
I was go'n to change the panhard rod to but the bolts on mine are so rusty i don't wont to touch them but it seems fine on the stranded one so i don't think it needs changing now..
And lift off over steer is when say you go in to a corner a bit quick and the front end starts to wash out all you have to do is lift off the throttle and the back end stars to come round and it is all nice and controllable and predictable.

What are the other options to lowering? Like do you change springs AND shocks? And with coil overs do yu still need springs too? Sorry for the daft noob questions... never lowered a car before or been around one...

What are the other options to lowering? Like do you change springs AND shocks? And with coil overs do yu still need springs too? Sorry for the daft noob questions... never lowered a car before or been around one...
If you just get a set of lowering springs thats all you need to change..

If you're worried about the tyre width you could use some secondhand 175 60 13,should be no more than £15 each from a secondhand tyre shop & they may take yours as part ex if they are good.Might even find them cheaper on E Bay.I used 185 60 13 and get slight rubbing on one side so need the panhard adjusting but I've gone lower than 50mm.Other option is a secondhand set of Micra alloys which would likely have wider than 155's & would be kinda standard so the insurance company may not be interested...

I was just curious about the other methods?
you can just fit the lowering springs ,
next option would be lowering springs with uprated dampers/shocks either fixed rate or adjustable damping
then there is coilovers which is springs and dampers as previous option but with an adjustable spring seat so u can adjust the ride height
another option if you want to go really low without needin to worry about speedbumps and other obstacles is airbag/pneumatic suspension i actually found a bolt on kit for this while scrolling thru yahoo auctions 1 day can't remember the price but it wasnt cheap :D

Back