Mot Fail Help!!!!

Stani1029

Club Member
ok we have a micra with a small fail sheet. one of the things is nearside rear parking brake has little or no effect bla bla bla! upon taking the drum face off and looking inside its very dirty and wet but then so is the offside, the car also has low brake fluid which i topped up to full about 4 months ago.

also with the drum face off and putting the handbrake on the nearside shoes hardly move and i can turn the wheel easily with it applied. the offside you can see moving alot more. is it just a new cylinder needed??

frank were depending on you ;)

nearside
2973667202a12322481287o.jpg

2973667202a12322481321o.jpg

offside
2973667202a12322481369o.jpg

change both rear brake cylinders and shoes, clean both drums with brake cleaner (change if out of tolerance), and adjust both sets of brake shoes

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
The thing is i need them by at least sunday...morning. So its a bit risky buying off ebay, im gonna try nissan first see if there any quicker.

go to a motorfactors mate, they should have them on the shelf(Y) if your stuck then i think iv got a set of rear cylinders knocking about somwhere. Pm me if you need.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
ahh nice one, first time ive had to do these so im just making sure! dont wanna start it and the car never makes the re-test LOL

Shero

Ex. Club Member
have you got what you need for this man, ill take it off mine and he can take it when he gets the engine?

hey dont wanna steal this thread but its similar to my problem. i have an sr with rear discs and the handbrake mechanisn on the rear callipers is seized solid although the piston moves freely. anyone know how i can unseize it and how to do it ? any help is appreciated :D

Scouse boy

Buy & Sell Member
^^ had exactly the same problem with my Sr too mate, but its off road with no tax or MOT. Is it easy enough to transfer the rear disc axle onto my other k11 with hubs? or not?
sorry for hijacking :S

Craig

Mine were also seized, the problem turned out to be the cable had rusted inside the plastic cover and wouldnt move, replaced to two rear cables and the problem was fixed:)

mikey

Ex. Club Member
Let us know how you get on mike.

Har-har major thread hijacking! :p Ach, yours passed anyways lol...well, apart from a cut tyre (on the inside sidewall) an insecure C.V. joint clip, and a missing brake hose retaining clip, which i replaced last week :suspect: the car is mechanically sound!!!

Oh, and it has excessive corrosion in about ten plus prescribed areas!!!Getting a welder to quote me happy tomorrow...and i happen to have a spare tyre in a cupboard, so it's not severe!

pollyp

Club Member
hey dont wanna steal this thread but its similar to my problem. i have an sr with rear discs and the handbrake mechanisn on the rear callipers is seized solid although the piston moves freely. anyone know how i can unseize it and how to do it ? any help is appreciated :D

david check my blog post #94 for info on how i resolved my old seized rear caliper handbrake mechanism.
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/35251-PollyMobiles-Rebuild/page2

take out ur rear caliper, disconnect the handbrake cable, grab the handbrake hook arm on the caliper with an adjustable spanner or pliers and turn it to its full extents. if it feels stiff when engaging and also barely returns back or returns slowly then the handbrake cam mechanism inside is dried/gunged up. i disassembled the entire caliper and regreased it (required some modded circlip pliers to release the tricky hidden circlip inside the caliper).

if the handbrake arm moves fine then the cable is seized