mongol rally team stretching credibility need advice for our nissan micra

hiya we are driving all the way to mongolia in our newly aquired 1987 nissan micra 1.0 we are trying to upgrade a few things so that she will make it ok. thew suspention is really bouncy and we want to try and lift her up a bit so does any other suspention fit like an almera or primera set.?? also we want some 14 inch wheels what other cars wheels will fit any other info on what we may need to look at or change for this massive 10000 mile trek would be much appreciated thankyou ryan

14" wheels from an almera, or K11 micra will fit. Actually most Nissans will fit. Also older corsas (and probably Astras, cavs etc) share the same fitment, but don't know what size wheels they have. Stud fitment is 4x100

Regarding the suspension, sadly not much fits onto a K10 without modification.

Hey dude,

I did this last year in a 1987 Micra... so PM me if you want to chat...

But basically, the key to the game is twofold - drive carefully and keep the weight down.

Pack stuff like lightweight tents... take the bare minimum of tools and spares and avoid heavy stuff like tinned food. We travelled with another micra and they had packed everything including the kitchen sink. Their suspension broke (they had modified it for more ground clearance), their heavy roof box broke off and they were in serious trouble by the end.

Its 8500 miles the route we took, which was through Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Kygzstan. And all those places were absolutely incredible, although it might be the most time consuming route.

Are you doing it through the Adventurists?

Check out www.turtleracing.co.uk

:)

For wheels, you want standard micra 13"s with 3 spares. 2 Spares would probably do fine if you got the puntures repaired hastily.

yeah we are doing it through the adventurists and are taking a similar route aswellim really bust at work today but will send u a pm later thanxs

If you wanna increase ground clearance get bigger wheels, with higher suspension the axle will still be the same distance from the ground.

Hi there,

I did the Rally in 06 and made it in a 1991 £50 K10 off ebay.
It was amazing and we went through turkey, georgia, azerbaijan, iran and all the stans before Russia and Mongolia.

The car was simply incredible. It was completely standard, no mechanical modifications whatsoever. All we did was take out the back seats, put a roof rack on and put on four new tyres. One of the tyres even had hedgehog spines in all the way from Turkey to Mongolia without deflating!!!

My advice would be to leave the car as it is. If a local mechanic wouldnt mind sponsoring you and will be willing to chuck in some free parts or change tyres etc then go for it, but the rally is really about the adventure of dealing with what goes wrong.

In Mongolia, all 4 suspension coils snapped in one day, we drove 9 hrs without suspension on potholed dirt 'tracks'. At the next town we negotiated for two days with hand signals to get it put on the back of a carpet truck, with us in it, all covered up with carpets (we couldn't see out). We were then smuggled (they weren't permitted to carry anything other than the carpet cargo) to the capital which took another three days sat in blackness!

If you are desperate to do something to the car then I would suggest better shock absorbers but please resist the temptation to mess around with it too much or take many spare parts, things WILL break and they will be parts you won't have carried as spares anyway. In fact, I saw many people who beefed up their shocks only to have them all snap thanks to the utter ####eness of these central asian roads. You will be passing through countries with some of the most amazing bush mechanics who will bodge ANYTHING right again for the price of a bag of crisps. I wouldnt bother with the whole race mentality, blaze out of Europe then just drive carefully, dont smack too many potholes, enjoy the scenery, get ####ed with mental locals and enjoy the adventure.

TOP TIP: Bring a pillow, ear plugs and tunes and some emergency food.

fittment includes center bore and offset as well as the PCD.

if the pdc is righ but either the offset and / or center bore is wrong, then the wheel and hubparts are going to be under increased strain ans will fail early....

the only other OEM wheel I could find with all 3 fitments matching was pulsar / sunny 14"

EVERYTHING ELSE was close...... but no cigar

thankyou everyone for your input but what i failed to put in my previous post was just how mad i am lol we have cut our 4 door in half and put a 3door rear end on it whichh has given us an extra 3 foot so we can take an extra 2 people their are 4 of us in this car. so lots of extra weight

thankyou everyone for your input but what i failed to put in my previous post was just how mad i am lol we have cut our 4 door in half and put a 3door rear end on it whichh has given us an extra 3 foot so we can take an extra 2 people their are 4 of us in this car. so lots of extra weight

Oh god you are mad. Well, good luck.

Hope you have a backup plan!!

Do you have a website?

i hope you love the local food cos i see the thing snapping in half!

the welding got to be DAMN good, them roads a trecherous

272.jpeg

Brave, very brave!

Back