Mods and upgrading a 160sr

I purchased a low mileage 2005 160sr a couple of weeks ago. Always had an OCD about the k12, since my dad bought a 1.4 sve from new in 2003.

Am currently going through car, servicing it, with upgraded parts etc. Have a large budget, and want to optimise everything.

It's done 34k miles. Have given in 2 oil and filter changes, and stuck synthetic oil in, with a bit of slick 50, and z81?. Stuck a kandn air filter in. Delphi coil packs and ngk iridium spark plugs are next to be fitted, as well as switching to waterless coolant.

Once I've done this, does anyone think an ECU remap would be worthwhile? Am thinking with low mileage and uber oil changes, it wouldn't do much harm to car, if I had a bit more oomph available now and again.

Also, does anyone know if you can still buy original car seat covers.

Other thing I was thinking of doing was replacing all bushes with superpro poly bushes.

If anyone has any ideas about possible upgrade ideas, I would appreciate them.

Absolutely love the car, and want to get it perfect, and try keeping it that way.

Cheers

Poly bushes would be interesting to hear about, as I know worn bushings are one of the things mine might fail an MOT for in the future. As for giving it more power though, as you'll see in Mikas thread, there arent huge numbers of things to do - if you want to throw money at the car, you might get on the happy side of 150, but an air filter and exhaust is probably the most cost effective way of just keeping it near what its claimed to have.

I will go down the poly bush route, possibly with new shocks, if theres an improvement to be had from them, as well as bushes. Not interested in changing the appearance, that would be sacrilege in my mind. Will do the chip remap as well. Just looking to optimise, a great car. Had wondered if a juke supercharger would work, but don't think there's any room for it. It's such a fun car to drive.

Poly bushes would be interesting to hear about, as I know worn bushings are one of the things mine might fail an MOT for in the future. As for giving it more power though, as you'll see in Mikas thread, there arent huge numbers of things to do - if you want to throw money at the car, you might get on the happy side of 150, but an air filter and exhaust is probably the most cost effective way of just keeping it near what its claimed to have.

In your situation, as you need to replace bushes any way, might be worthwhile going with poly bushes. Like the sound of the superfit ones, as they came up with cotton reel type.

The sr corners so well, it interests me whether it can made be better.

I first became obsessed with the k12, when my dad bought a 1.4 sve when they came out. Went round corners like it was on rails. A very tight ride.

One thing that surprised me about the sr, is the quality of the build. The doors and boot shut with little effort, with a nice thunk noise.

The paintwork is solid as well.

Thought Id share what i've done and found out, during my short period of micra ownerhip.

Looks like contrary to what I thought, adding polly bushes wouldnt be a good idea for a micra. Chatting to a mechanic about replacing the suspension completely. He thought the additional control from polly bushes, would not be worth the sacrifice in ride comfort. He said that he put polly buhses on his souped up mark 4 golf (300bhp), and said the improved handling was just about worthwhile, over ride qaulity. His opinion was that a micra doesnt need them. Unusually for me, I will act on his advice.

He thought Mika's idea of having the eibach pro line springs was spot on, with standard shocks. Have decided to go with the eibachs, KYB shocks all round, and sach strut mounting plate and bearing (sach seemed to be the only one that was good quality). Also getting good new control arms. Does anyone have any recomendations for them please?

Apparently, the eibach proline springs will stop any wallowing around corners.

Just replaced spark plugs with ngk platinums and coils from delphi. My car is 15 years old, with a mileage of 34k. For whatever reason, it is noticeably more responsive. Bit of a phaff doing it. I noticed, the inlet ports were covered in a 1mm thick sticky residue, all over. Petrol varnishing? It came off with a thorough rubbing with a cloth. Was surpised by the thickness that had built up. Would imagine it would reduce performance. Id had some injector cleaning stuff in the petrol for the last 5 weeks. Perhaps that was why the residue came off okay.

Bought some TYC headlights (£60 each), as both of mine are completely frosted. They're that bad, I saw someone elses post about 160srs should have black headlights, and thought rubbish, mine are chrome. Turns out, they are black. Never mind, think chrome ones will suit the red colour better than black. Whatever, if you are looking for good headlight replacements, the tyc ones are faultless. Look really impressive.

Now car is running at its best, looking to get a ecu remap. Thinks its called a stage one. Not too dramatic. Will post on how it goes.

Any micra tips would be appreciated, especially how to stream music through bluetooth. Ive got a 2005 standard looking radio and cd player. There is no disk changer under the passenger seat, presume it must have been nicked at some point.

Cheers.

BTW, bought some quality tailored rubber mats for £40. Fit like a glove, and look really good, as well as being more practical for keeping clean.

easy to spot a 160sr newbie, by the length of their posts.
1590689896556.png

With the cd player, I think the changer is meant to be built into the headunit or something, although I havent tried it and I cant find anything to explain it. Your mechanics point about ride quality is pretty fair, although I find mine has quite a harsh ride anyway - although whenever I do actually do something, I'll probably do the boring/sensible thing of normal rubber bushings. New plugs is interesting too, mines got 102k on it and I doubt theyve been changed any time recently (hell they might even be factory original).

Anyway, with getting something with bluetooth, a somewhat popular swap is to put the unit from (I think) a newer K12, or a note. However, as your one will have the same as mine, you have ISO connectors as standard, so if you dont mind losing the oem look (and the ability to control it from the steering wheel) you can quite easily put in any standard double din headunit, the most work it could possibly need is an adapter cable from ISO to a specific connector for certain brands

With the cd player, I think the changer is meant to be built into the headunit or something, although I havent tried it and I cant find anything to explain it. Your mechanics point about ride quality is pretty fair, although I find mine has quite a harsh ride anyway - although whenever I do actually do something, I'll probably do the boring/sensible thing of normal rubber bushings. New plugs is interesting too, mines got 102k on it and I doubt theyve been changed any time recently (hell they might even be factory original).

Anyway, with getting something with bluetooth, a somewhat popular swap is to put the unit from (I think) a newer K12, or a note. However, as your one will have the same as mine, you have ISO connectors as standard, so if you dont mind losing the oem look (and the ability to control it from the steering wheel) you can quite easily put in any standard double din headunit, the most work it could possibly need is an adapter cable from ISO to a specific connector for certain brands
Thanks

Thanks. I think I'll go with newer nissan, and adapter approach.

With regards to your spark plugs, definitely worth replacing. It will mean gaining access to your inlet ports, so you can give them a good clean. The gum on mine, 37k, was about 1mm thick all round. Think it must effect airflow?

If anyone has the contact details for the cobra tail pipe, ideally email or tel no would be greatly appreciated. Tried all the links on here, cant find the company/get through to them. Googled them all day, german ebay, nothing.

Looked into ecu remapping, looks like it's not worthwhile. Did notice that the pedal tuning boxes, around £200 are supposed to give better acceleration, getting rid of lag. That's the only bit really that needs improving. Bags of torque, and mid and high end performance, but slow initial response.

Will post results once it arrives and tried it.

Back