modding cr engines

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm
has anyone modded an engine from a k12 with any worthwhile results, was maybe toyinf with the idea of fitting on to my k10,

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Same reason people don't really bother with coilpack engines these dayd. Tunability is alot more hassle compared to other options

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
They're a pain in the ass to even service compared to a CG, and I kind of feel that having owned both, the CR just isn't as good, way more torque but just doesn't feel as alive or willing to rev it's ****ing nuts off.

frank

Club Member
They're a pain in the ass to even service compared to a CG, and I kind of feel that having owned both, the CR just isn't as good, way more torque but just doesn't feel as alive or willing to rev it's ####ing nuts off.

could that not be down to over compensating ecu to stop it tho?
vtec yo :) the vvl inlet cam needs re-programming to let it rev

frank

Club Member
so if it was mapped right it could be a good engine?
aye :) i,ve been testing various cam timings lately, and the inlet cam has a big effect on where the powerband starts and ends (hence why nissan uses vvl) so the 20 deg kicks in for max lowdown grunt then kicks out for the midrange, but on the GA vvl it kicks back in at the topend to stop owners raggin the engine iirc (the info is on the GA forum) i assume the CR does this also

OP
OP
Belly93

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm
might be worth a try :) something to fiddle with omex 600 has a vvl control function on it which is what i was looking at for thr cg coilpack engine so looks like it may be good for thi too :)

frank

Club Member
might be worth a try :) something to fiddle with omex 600 has a vvl control function on it which is what i was looking at for thr cg coilpack engine so looks like it may be good for thi too :)
or a vafc adam :) big gains to be had from a CR imo (unexplored territory tho eh)

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
vvl on ga is done by oil pressure, you have to block an oil feed to the head to stop the vvl dropping you power at the top end...

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
I read it was oil pressure building up actuating the mechanism on a sentra forum somewhere when I was looking at getting a vvl head for the almera, and that it only acted on one of the cams. Will double check sometime though

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Aye only acts on the inlet cam
Oil pressure plays a part... but that's to do with limiting the top end. The actual vvl is actuated by a solenoid :)

So , after just reading this , and after looking up the apexi controllers , does this mean that with one of those controllers wired up properly , the controller can vary the vvl ( variable valve lifting im presumeing? ) cauaing it to be more effictive by preforming slightly lower in the rpm range ?
I hope adam wont mind me hoping on his thread :p
I just find this very intresting and maybe if i picked up one of those controllers , which evens from the states if the price is right and there second hand goods i wont get raped by customs :)

Well its my daily so anything i do ill have to assure myself i wont blow the engine before i do it lol :p frank and andy are the guru's lets see what they say :p

Window switch ? Hadnt known of this , thanks frank ! Right time to wake myself up get some brekkie and start studying those links :D so it seems fairly straight forward and harmless to an engine provided you dont constantly rag it ?

frank

Club Member
you are just moving the inlet cam back and forwards 20 deg, it wont do any harm, the ecu is programmed to move it for maximum lowdown grunt and emissions/economy, (not outright hp) :)

h701micra

Deactivated Account
You can vary your powerband with one it would seem. Where the standard ecu would pull it back at a set limit for economy..you can have it kick in for top end hp
Frank's got me on this one I haven't used that controller before

And frank... Window switch? Strange
(Edit: put into context it makes sense :p)

http://sr20nation.com/ga16forum/sho...ga16de-vtc&s=bb89ee919324a9d34709e74945867489

this one was the best, i found the others to complicated for me just yet :p

your opinion on the preformance difference ? is it worth spending around 120 pounds on?
id consider it justifiable if i could evens retrieve 10hp more, because i was also considering getting it remapped on dyno, over here all dyno's are actually giving very competitive quotes for remapping, evens the best of them are becoming nicely priced

yup on the cr , its my daily but i thought meh......

im starting my HGV apprenticeship in the next few weeks so i can afford to mess with both :p

the ma10 draw through will still happen and i stand by that ! :p

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Then it's like Frank said. Its unexplored territory. We'll of course back you up where we can but you'd be venturing into the unknown :) which in my opinion is always worth it