Mis-Firing!

M

mankian

Hi, i know i post alot of threads here asking for help, and unfortunatly due to knowledge i cant really help others, so i do really appreaciate peoples replies!!

And yes, when i get a spare tenner ill become a proper member :grinning:

Basically my cars got a really small, but annoying problem, it misfires around 6,000 rpm (which isnt so bad) but when its under-load it can misfire as early as 4,500 rpm, which is a pain in the ass when overtaking, etc.

Its a UK K11 2001 Micra (facelift) 1.0Litre - with no mods (yet!)

As its a small mis-fire im convinced ill be able to fix it by doing something simple - and not have to fork out 40 quid to use a nissan consult thingie, ive tried a few things which have made it drive alot better, and the misfire is better then it was, i was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions?

So far ive tried:

-New sparks
-Tested Each coil pack (all were fine!)
-Cleaned the connections from the sparks to the coil packs
-Cleaned out air box (including the mesh thing where the breather is - was full of oil :/)
-Put some redex in the fuel (seems to have cut the mis-firing down abit!)
-Reset the ECU (made the car drive alot better)
-Feul filter is apparently fine.

Ive also been told the throttle body on the facelift K11 isnt dodgy like it is on the non-facelift micras, and as its only done 42,000 miles so i doubt its that...

Engine also has some funny rattles, but im pretty sure it isnt pinking or anything.

Thanks!!

more than likely to be the throttle body as all the k11s can suffer from it (yes even the facelift ones, just less often)

thanks for the replies. basically i hope not about the throttle body.

do you know how to adjust the timing on a facelift?

im also changing the oil this weekend becuase its over-due(done 10,000 miles sinse last change) and im going to use some engine flush aswell becuase the time before it didnt get changed for 20,000 miles.

yeah lol,,how can u forget after 20,000miles

turn the dizzy to alter the timing but get sum1 that knows wot ther doing and has the tools to check the timing out

Hmmm... perhaps it's a fuelling problem? Presumably the times at which it's misfiring are when the fuelling system is under the most load and it could be inadequate fuel pressure. Or maybe not. That's my 2p anyway.

If the engine rattles for a few seconds after starting it it's just the timing chain tensioner waking up, u can ignore it.

P.S. it might be worth checking the soldering on the throttle body leccytronics 'cos it'll cost u next to nowt if u can do it urself. There's a pdf guide on the Oz Micra forum.

ok cheers guys..

basically if it gets any worse i might have to have a look at doin somethin with the trottle body (as in testing/re-soldering) :down:... thanks for some pointers neway :)

what i got to say is that the guide is for a different throttle body to yours(pre 2000)...i dunno if the guide still works but let me know which plate u removed on urs n soldered which parts back n if there was any luck, piccys too?

sure will do if/when i get round to it, got a bloody oil leak to deal with now aswell grr

Serious Bump!!!! Anyone find out what was wrong with his engine? as iam having the exact same problem, i really need help on this! thanks

Hooley03

Check out the Australian Micra sites. There is a complete fix for the throttle body problem there - with pix and full instructions - and it costs nothing to do!!! I have now done my own and a friend's and each is once again firing on all cylinders.
Can't find the link at the moment, sorry. I just put "Micra hesitation problems" into google. All you need is a soldering iron, a sharp blade and a new tube of silicon sealant.
Good luck.

Back