• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Mintyfresh's Black K11 Super S

mintyfresh

Ex. Club Member
After talking about it for ages, i've finally got my act together and bought a 1.3 :)

Vital statistics:

1996 Nissan Micra Super S, CG13DE, 64k on the clock, owned by seller from new.

Pics!

P1020656.jpg

P1020655.jpg

P1020657.jpg

P1020658.jpg

P1020662.jpg

P1020661.jpg

P1020672.jpg

The plans as as follows:

Swap all mods from old car to this one, swap any broken bits (headlights, heater resistor card etc)

Also investigate this..

P1020665-1-1.jpg

Any ideas what it could be from? oil filter leak that's made its way to there? I took a bit of a gamble buying it but as id travelled 3 hours to see it, i took the plunge and have to deal with any consequences..

Plans for tomorrow:

Suspension and wheels, if time polish the scratches out, clean engine bay and change oil.

Watch this space & any advice about the 'oil'(?) would be appreaciated :)

Edit: it's had a wash since these pics so theres no more mildew!

A combination of the both i suspect, it was standing for at least 3 weeks prior to me buying it, under a tree lol. It's all de-mossed now though and looks really straight and clean. There are a couple of tiny dents that i think can be removed by 'paintless dent removal' (mum got 3 done on her mazda in half a day for £60) and some surface scratching that will get the meguires x tech treatment (as well as a whole car t-cutting). Engine bay is filthy and ive bought some 'gunk' for that too.

Are the Super S's painted underneath the bump strips? If so theyre coming off ASAP. Also as ive mentioned to frank, it was idling on the first white line (about 325rpm?) earlier which i thought was very low, never died though. Later on it was about 700 rpm which is normal right? Just wondering why it was idling so low earlier.

Yeah bumpstrips are glued onto paint. But when you take them off, the paint underneath may be a slightly different colour to the rest of the car. But your planned Tcut should hopefully sort it (Y)

As long as they're not like my old ones (car underneath the strips hadn't been painted the same!) then I'll be happy :D

could be a sump leak from one of the half moons on the g/box from the looks of it or at worst crank seal? if you want oil go to nissan and get the genuine stuff its actually cheaper than halfrauds. i think the paint underneath is the same colour too mate.

i think you got a good deal anyway! was it a good gamble? haha

Thanks everyone, she seems all fine so far except a noisy heat sheild and the engine seems to sound a little odd to me..not sure if it's normal or not just doesn't sound as smooth as mine used to when ticking over (a bit tappety but not loud, I probably only noticed it because I was listening) Will do the oil change asap and see what happens. Gear linkage is stiff as hell so that needs looking at (changing gear is fine it's the side to side in neutral that's stiff) linkage needs de-rusting probs. Is it worth also replacing gear oil for peice of mind? Spent 6 hours after work swapping the rear suspension over from the old car, oh how I ######ing hate panhard rod bushes. She looks much better now though (my avatar is only the front cause the backs weren't done lol) will get proper pics tomorrow and am gonna de-wiper in my lunch hour.

Cheers u0966597 :)

Some pics from today..

Before:
P1020658.jpg

After:
P1020729.jpg

Before:
P1020660.jpg

After:
P1020730.jpg

Whole car needs a good going over really, will wait untill ive taken bumpstrips off though :) more pics..

Fronts done:
P1020694.jpg

All done:
P1020723.jpg

Jobs left to do..
Fit stock shocks to old car
Swap Exhausts over (not looking forward to this one)
Swap over air filter and CAF
Engine flush and oil/oil filter change
Engine bay clean
De-bumpstrip
Remove and swap audio
Fix/replace resistor card
Swap headlights
Swap rear lights
Whole car going over with meguires xtech 2.0

Hoping to be all done by sunday at the latest!

Looks pukka mate, I remember when I swapped my bits over, it's like a mental blur of parts

Worst for me was the panhard rod.... By a long shot the single most cfunting job the is

What's the tyres size mate?

Cheers martin, the panhard rod was a beast, put up a good fight but i won in the end :laugh: Im not looking forward to the exhaust cause i foresee many rusty nuts lol The tyre size is 175/60/13s on 7J, theyre alright atm but i plan to go lower (corsa coilies next payday) so might need to change them then and get some more stretch

Well there you go :) if you're considering them, they wont fit straight on as the centre bore is too small, you need to get it enlarged a few mm

I'm also a massive fan of the Classic's they go so well on the Micra! Will be keeping an eye on this one, as I'm a sucker for a black Super S :grinning:

why are you making it so similar to martins car? not a fan!

Its the same spec pretty much, black and lowered - how can it not be a bit simmilar? Its got different wheels - An excellent choice - and as mentioned above one that has required some "dedication" to get to fit. De bumpstipping is standard practice round these parts and the desire for hanging a hairdrier off the front isn't that rare either, Give the guy a break he's not had it a week yet. I'm sure Minty will come up with somthing to stop it being "that other low black super s that goes tsh".

Beside, Martin's hasn't got off road tyres either :p

Woah I didnt say anything about a turbo?! While it would be nice I do not have the first clue about what's required to fit one anyway nor the funds. Will what happened to 'nice one! once its all cleaned and gleaming it will be very nice indeed!!!!!'? Marks made some good points (cheers mate) and At the end of the day I didn't deliberately buy a black super s, I just saw an opportunity and took it as I'm pretty sure most people here would. Out of everyone in the club I'm pretty sure some people may have similar cars? Sorry if you think I'm copying you Martin :( but all I'm doing is swapping the stuff from my old car, for the record I do think your car is one of the nicest looking in the club. Pretty sure you don't have a tow hook?.. Yet anyway haha
Anyway yeah hope that's cleared that up!

It's alright, I can see how it could look like I'm copying Martin but the truth is I've had all these parts on my old car before Martin even had his black super s. There's gonna be differences too for example, I plan on losing the super s spoiler and fitting my jap spec one, also I've got stickerbombed petrol flap and plan on doing more. My ultra open mouth grille will go on when I get chance to spray it just little things, give me some time cause right now I'm working my ass of and it's still taking a while.

Woah I didnt say anything about a turbo

Sorry, did you not. I thought I had read that you wanted to fit one as a longer term plan. I'm easily confused.

So yours can be the (S)low Black Super S then :p

I'm still considering what we discussed as well, will get back to you when I have a better idea of the position I'm in.

Woah I didnt say anything about a turbo?! While it would be nice I do not have the first clue about what's required to fit one anyway nor the funds. Will what happened to 'nice one! once its all cleaned and gleaming it will be very nice indeed!!!!!'? Marks made some good points (cheers mate) and At the end of the day I didn't deliberately buy a black super s, I just saw an opportunity and took it as I'm pretty sure most people here would. Out of everyone in the club I'm pretty sure some people may have similar cars? Sorry if you think I'm copying you Martin :( but all I'm doing is swapping the stuff from my old car, for the record I do think your car is one of the nicest looking in the club. Pretty sure you don't have a tow hook?.. Yet anyway haha
Anyway yeah hope that's cleared that up!

Hey minty just shows you have good taste eh :)

I had the red jdm tow hooks planned for a long time but can't afford anything at the mo:eek:

There will be differences in them, one being obviously the turbo but mines also stripped out, bucket, black dash and roof lining etc

Also de bump stripping mine as I have done on every one Ive had, looks loads better in my opinion

Good luck with it matey

Also a set of 165/55 would suit better too :)

Cheers

Does look awesome already though !!

Thanks :) yours too mate! I pulled a bumpstrip off today stupidly without any heat and all (and I mean all) the glue stayed on the car :( I managed to remove about 2 inches before I gave up (it's been a tiring 4 days and the added petrol fumes didn't help..) and theres a slight ridge (cant really feel it with a fingernail) so I'm hoping it'll polish out, I took a pic at the time is this normal when removing them?..

4306ef04.jpg

I need sleep, up in 5 1/2 hours with a mock aerodynamics exam in the morning :(

Haha I did that with mine gave up trying to get the glue off after an hour or so..... White spirit works well and my dad suggested sugar soap (if the fumes are that bad)

try a rubber wheel thing on a drill we use it at work to remove the glue and stuff from bump strips and doesnt leave a mark! i can imagine it would if you hold it in one place

Is that a toffee/caramel/eraser wheel? Are they the same thing or different? Had a look on b&qs website and couldn't see them but tbh I wasnt looking very long

I found the easiest way to get the glue off was to hold a heat gun/hair drier over the glue until it's hot then rub like a good 'un. If theres a bit left after that wd40 helps a lot too. :)

It's alright, I can see how it could look like I'm copying Martin but the truth is I've had all these parts on my old car before Martin even had his black super s. There's gonna be differences too for example, I plan on losing the super s spoiler and fitting my jap spec one, also I've got stickerbombed petrol flap and plan on doing more. My ultra open mouth grille will go on when I get chance to spray it just little things, give me some time cause right now I'm working my ass of and it's still taking a while.

want a nismo spoiler? ill swap for your super s one plus a little cash obviously.

Cheers for the advice guys (Y) i think i cocked up by not heating the strip which meant all the glue stayed on the car, just made more work for myself lol Couldnt find a toffee wheel after work, the hunt continues but i did buy some autoglym tar remover cause it said it dissolves tar and removes sticky residue so it might be nicer to my skin than petrol and still work as well (if it can dissolve tar anyway)..

Swapped heater resistor card for the working one, was interesting to see that they were different sizes (knackered one is the bigger of the two)
fd4d0aa3.jpg

factory mats :)
f2aafe80.jpg

Autoglym stuff
588fa787.jpg

Sad to see my old car like this :( getting pillaged for its parts (i forgot how high stock micras are)
5e208845.jpg

4e49dff3.jpg

Still got so much to do! :doh:

Cheers for the advice guys (Y) i think i cocked up by not heating the strip which meant all the glue stayed on the car, just made more work for myself lol
No you didn't i heated mine up and glue still on the car as we speak. Possibly even melted into the paintwork...

Well there you go :) if you're considering them, they wont fit straight on as the centre bore is too small, you need to get it enlarged a few mm

Not unlike my current wheels then, although i did that at home with a grinding wheel...

Davey1991, I tried but gave up, thought for the sake of 40 quid I'd rather not muck it up :) Frank thats really clever, might give that a shot if can find one knocking about!

Wow. That was a long day. At half 10 this morning i started taking my exhaust off so i could put my sportex cat back system on. The first problem was that the backbox bolts were seized and so i had to get the grinder out and cut the backbox off. The next problem was that the two bolts that fix the first cat to the downpipe snapped off when trying to undo them, this is when i really started to get a bit distressed (to say the least) as i need the car to get to work tomorrow. I ended up taking the manifold/first cat off (didnt snap any studs thank god) and grinding down the seized bolts, then drilling them out (they handily came unscrewed whilst doing this) i then managed to get the old system off by removing the ARB so i could pull the old system out the back. Put the mani/cat back on and then started putting my sportex system on, after numerous attempts and lots of jiggling about, me and my dad finally got the downpipe and cat lined up and then the clamped on rest of the system. Needed a cable tie round one bush at the back so the exhaust was central in the bumper cut out but should be fine. Anyway so we did all that and i went out for a test drive, was only 15 seconds or so before i heard a massive bang and then i came straight back home where my cat was smoking madly, i think it was probably lube burning off but i took it for another drive a minute ago and the cat was still smoking (maybe a leak from the cat/downpipe join?). Anyway, 12 hours after i started, the car is finally driveable and ill have to see what happens on the way to work tomorrow.. if anyones got any ideas as to what the bang could have been it might make me feel a bit better cause it didnt sound good at all, also how tight do the cat/downpipe bolts have to be? (one is an original bolt the other is a nut and bolt because one hole wouldnt line up)

Thanks guys

mate i used a caramel wheel nabbed from work the other day on my strips took em off and about 40 mins later all glue and stuff removed and a t-cut then was as good as new

Front corsa coilovers are fitted now, bit of drama earlier when the started working themselves loose but I think they're sorted now. I'll give more info on what I did soon, but for now, here's a pic of her after a wash :)

afc1bbda.jpg

Cheers! I took some more snaps yesterday..
New mods include: Corsa front suspension (will get around to doing the back soon), fresh gear oil, engine flush, fresh oil and filter, new plugs, matt black badges and a ruddy good clean so now there's no moss in sight haha :grinning:

P1020865.jpg

P1020855.jpg

Hello there!
P1020857.jpg

P1020870.jpg

Back