#MikeyTheMicra build!

Hi!!
I'm Jak and I'm 15 years old. I bought my 2002 K11 1.0 which has covered (prepare yourself!!) 154 thousand miles(!!!!) back in July 2016 and I absolutely love it! He has never missed a beat and since July I have done three autotests, a track day and a Trial. The only things I have had to change is the radiator (which blew on the first autotest) and other service parts (oil, filters, etc.). I have started to convert him to a Rally car for the Junior 1000 Rally Championship which I can also use for shows, but I am having a couple of problems:
1. I have some Ring spotlights for him, but I do not actually know where to fit them safely where they will not vibrate loads or fall off.
2. I have a shed that is completely stacked with interior parts. If anyone wants any, let me know. They are all in very good condition.
Any help would be much appreciated!
I might start this as a blog and continue to post updates, but we'll see how it goes!!
Thank you all,
Jak.
Some pictures!
As I bought him.
WP_20160625_19_49_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20160625_19_49_13_Pro.jpg
How he is at the moment.
WP_20160911_12_57_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20161025_11_47_59_Pro.jpg

Parts I have got!
WP_20161021_18_00_39_Pro.jpg

Plus:
OMP TRS bucket seats
RSA 6 point harnesses
FIA mudflaps and brackets
TerraTrip Intercom (fitted)
Ring Spotlights
K&N Filter element (fitted when bought, which I found odd as an elderly lady owned it before me!!)

Any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Since I last posted, the car has had lots of work done;
- SPAX SSX Suspension and Whiteline Panhard Rod
InstagramCapture_c091ea5f-db9d-4213-b17c-ef92371455cc.jpg

-OMP front strut brace
InstagramCapture_365f647f-af8a-4426-af85-f59925953b91.jpg

-OMP TRS-E bucket seats and RSA 6-point harnesses
WP_20170824_12_56_46_Pro.jpg

-Mintex 1144 front pads and new calipers and brake fluid
InstagramCapture_532894fa-e38b-491e-9ea6-e8ab0f44066d.jpg

And currently looks like this:
WP_20171111_13_55_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20171111_13_55_46_Pro.jpg

I am having a roll cage fitted after the new year, braided fuel lines and SR alloy wheels with Yokohama A048R's (championship tyres)
Any more suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Since I last posted, the car has had lots of work done;
- SPAX SSX Suspension and Whiteline Panhard Rod
View attachment 56130
-OMP front strut brace
View attachment 56131
-OMP TRS-E bucket seats and RSA 6-point harnesses
View attachment 56132
-Mintex 1144 front pads and new calipers and brake fluid
View attachment 56133
And currently looks like this:
View attachment 56134 View attachment 56135
I am having a roll cage fitted after the new year, braided fuel lines and SR alloy wheels with Yokohama A048R's (championship tyres)
Any more suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks!
Looking good there, can I ask where you got your new shocks? Was it part of the fast road set with the panhard rod and strut brace? Also, I've a set of rev counter clocks off my parts car with nearly the same mileage as your car if you're interested in having a rev counter

Looking good there, can I ask where you got your new shocks? Was it part of the fast road set with the panhard rod and strut brace? Also, I've a set of rev counter clocks off my parts car with nearly the same mileage as your car if you're interested in having a rev counter
Hi!
Yes they were from Humphris. £600 including the panhard rod and strut brace, and worth every penny! Its like a different car!
I have actually been looking at rev counter clocks. How much are you looking for?
Thanks,
Jak

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Hi!
Yes they were from Humphris. £600 including the panhard rod and strut brace, and worth every penny! Its like a different car!
I have actually been looking at rev counter clocks. How much are you looking for?
Thanks,
Jak
Yeah I just got my new parts car with all that on it, plus a nismo front arb and a whiteline rear arb and a rake of other bits. The shocks are 5 years old so they might be getting on a bit and needing replacing. I was looking at bilsteins but I might go for those spax. Have you a link?

Since the car is going for scrap anyway how does 15 pounds sound?

Hi, sorry for the late reply!
I haven't got a direct link, but if you google Humphris Oxford Micra parts and use the 2016 download link, it is on the third page for £499 (excl. VAT), and is called the Fast road/ clubman spec SPAX sports suspension kit.
For £15, is that posted or not including postage?
Thanks,
Jak

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Hi, sorry for the late reply!
I haven't got a direct link, but if you google Humphris Oxford Micra parts and use the 2016 download link, it is on the third page for £499 (excl. VAT), and is called the Fast road/ clubman spec SPAX sports suspension kit.
For £15, is that posted or not including postage?
Thanks,
Jak
Thanks I was already looking for a parts list. I'll go have a look now. That's without postage, which would be 12 euro on top. So roughly 25 pound in total

Hi
Just to check, are they facelift clocks? And do you know how to fit them? I just want to make sure they will work with my car!
Thanks

Hi!!
I'm Jak and I'm 15 years old. I bought my 2002 K11 1.0 which has covered (prepare yourself!!) 154 thousand miles(!!!!) back in July 2016 and I absolutely love it! She has never missed a beat and since July I have done three autotests, a track day and a Trial. The only things I have had to change is the radiator (which blew on the first autotest) and other service parts (oil, filters, etc.). I have started to convert her to a Rally car for the Junior 1000 Rally Championship but I am having a couple of problems:
1. I have some Ring spotlights for her, but I do not actually know where to fit them safely where they will not vibrate loads or fall off.
2. I have a shed that is completely stacked with interior parts. If anyone wants any, let me know. They are all in very good condition.
Any help would be much appreciated!
I might start this as a blog and continue to post updates, but we'll see how it goes!!
Thank you all,
Jak.
Some pictures!
As I bought her.
View attachment 52567 View attachment 52568 How she is at the moment.
View attachment 52569 View attachment 52570
Parts I have got!
View attachment 52571
Plus:
OMP TRS bucket seats
RSA 6 point harnesses
FIA mudflaps and brackets
TerraTrip Intercom (fitted)
Ring Spotlights
K&N Filter element (fitted when bought, which I found odd as an elderly lady owned it before me!!)

Any questions feel free to ask!
Is the k&n filter element like an upgrade or if we need extra power better to go for a n15 air box is it? I

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Hi!
It's supposed to be an upgrade, but to be honest when I serviced it, I put in a standard OEM filter and it felt no different. It does sound a bit more throaty under acceleration with the K&N element, but there is near as damn it no power difference.
I will be putting a GA16 airbox, Pipercross element and custom routing on him soon, as I have been told it increases the responsiveness/power more (as well as sound better ;) ).
If you can, go for the GA16 airbox.
Thanks!
Jak.

Hi!
It's supposed to be an upgrade, but to be honest when I serviced it, I put in a standard OEM filter and it felt no different. It does sound a bit more throaty under acceleration with the K&N element, but there is near as damn it no power difference.
I will be putting a GA16 airbox, Pipercross element and custom routing on him soon, as I have been told it increases the responsiveness/power more (as well as sound better ;) ).
If you can, go for the GA16 airbox.
Thanks!
Jak.
Btw the your rides pretty awesome keep it going

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Thanks mate! He looks a bit different now compared to my profile pic, but I will do an update post soon! Is that yours in your profile picture? Never seen one with a bonnet scoop like that!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Well lad, how are you finding the shocks and springs set up. Just got my springs powder coated so I'll be fitting them for summer

"It just looks like a scrotum" - Jeremy Clarkson on the K12

The suspension setup completely changes the way the car handles! It is so much more planted and direct, and yet still is very comfortable! And now they have had time to settle, the car actually sits lower than I thought it would, which is an added bonus!
Another quick update, I'm loving the rev clocks! They look much better and I now know how close I am to bouncing off the limiter every time i shift! Haha!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
The suspension setup completely changes the way the car handles! It is so much more planted and direct, and yet still is very comfortable! And now they have had time to settle, the car actually sits lower than I thought it would, which is an added bonus!
Another quick update, I'm loving the rev clocks! They look much better and I now know how close I am to bouncing off the limiter every time i shift! Haha!

Really looking forward to those springs then. Roll on summer when I don't have to do 300 miles a week on crap roads. I think it's going to be a bit of a back breaker with everything being polybushed, new suspension and big anti roll bars but it will be some machine for corners. Good to hear you're enjoying the rev counter, I find it really fun seeing the revs bouncing around changing gear and such.

You'll be surprised how comfortable it will be. The rear axle of mine is polybushed and you do notice the rear feels slightly stiffer than the front, but it doesn't skip or feel like it would shatter your back when you hit a pothole. Yes it is stiffer and not as plush, but its really not too bad.
I love the rev counter! As you say, seeing what the engine is doing is a real advantage, even if every vibration can be felt in your feet with no sound deadening!!!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
You'll be surprised how comfortable it will be. The rear axle of mine is polybushed and you do notice the rear feels slightly stiffer than the front, but it doesn't skip or feel like it would shatter your back when you hit a pothole. Yes it is stiffer and not as plush, but its really not too bad.
I love the rev counter! As you say, seeing what the engine is doing is a real advantage, even if every vibration can be felt in your feet with no sound deadening!!!

I can't wait to try it regardless. I'll probably end up having to buy something else before summer anyway as an insurance car because it's getting hard to insure mine. Looking at something like a 1.4 2004 corolla which is amazingly much cheaper than a micra to insure. I'll still be driving the micra as the other car will be parked up and only there to cover me to drive other cars. But that being said it will be a perfectly good stock car that I can drive daily if the micra is a bit rough on the road. Time will tell anyway.

The corolla is a good car. A neighbour of ours has a bright blue 1.6 SR, and I rate it highly. I'm looking at getting a 1.8 Corolla T-Sport/Compressor 2005/6, a 2010 Fiesta Zetec S in Frozen white or a Twingo RS133 Cup as a road car, but I've still got a few months until I'm 17, so I've got time to decide! They are all surprisingly cheap to insure yet pretty nippy and easy to modify/personalise!
I would use the Micra as often as I could, it would be wrong not to!! Haha!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
The corolla is a good car. A neighbour of ours has a bright blue 1.6 SR, and I rate it highly. I'm looking at getting a 1.8 Corolla T-Sport/Compressor 2005/6, a 2010 Fiesta Zetec S in Frozen white or a Twingo RS133 Cup as a road car, but I've still got a few months until I'm 17, so I've got time to decide! They are all surprisingly cheap to insure yet pretty nippy and easy to modify/personalise!
I would use the Micra as often as I could, it would be wrong not to!! Haha!
They're grand alright, my mother has one and they're cheap to insure for me. I would very rarely be driving the other car, whatever I get, much prefer the feeling of older things, even if it is a bit slow and rattly and loud. All part of their character

If possible, I would love a Mystique as a road car! I think they are so different and unique, and I don't like to have a boring car that is the same as anyone else's. It is just that I would be doing quite a few miles, as I'm moving to Coventry in August, so will be travelling from there back to Norfolk every now and then to see family, and I wouldn't want to add too many miles to such a rare car!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
If possible, I would love a Mystique as a road car! I think they are so different and unique, and I don't like to have a boring car that is the same as anyone else's. It is just that I would be doing quite a few miles, as I'm moving to Coventry in August, so will be travelling from there back to Norfolk every now and then to see family, and I wouldn't want to add too many miles to such a rare car!
That's a nice list of cars you have your eye on, would you ever get insured on them though? Over here I'm paying 2 grand, and I've a full licence and years no claims. But lads with 1.6s and even 1.9s can be paying around 1500. Of course they're he ones who don't have jobs and their parents buy their cars so it's only the parents saving money. But I know I'd take a mystique over passats or focuses, any micra in fact. Wouldn't worry about mileage, they're there to be driven and will last hundreds of thousands when they're looked after

The most expensive of the lot to insure is the Corolla Compressor, at £1600, but I have been saving for a car and insurance since I started high school - I like to be... Prepared!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
The most expensive of the lot to insure is the Corolla Compressor, at £1600, but I have been saving for a car and insurance since I started high school - I like to be... Prepared!
I've been saving for years and years, parents got me into good habits and I had about 1800 euro saved by the time I came to driving. At that stage I was already working so I didn't even need it. I just keep it now in case there's a car I absolutely need in my life, hopefully a k10 comes up. Is that quote for a learner since you're only about to be 17?

No, I do it as if I was 17 and had just passed my test. Hopefully I won't need long term learner insurance!! Haha!! I do like a nice K10, but I've always had a big soft spot for a first facelift K11, but I fell in love with the Century Green paintwork on Mikey! If there was a first facelift in this colour I would love it!!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
No, I do it as if I was 17 and had just passed my test. Hopefully I won't need long term learner insurance!! Haha!! I do like a nice K10, but I've always had a big soft spot for a first facelift K11, but I fell in love with the Century Green paintwork on Mikey! If there was a first facelift in this colour I would love it!!

Ah right I wondered, that would be mad if that was as a learner. The only way to get on the road here is on your parents car, I've had quotes of 7000 as a learner on my car, that's about the best from the few companies that would quote me. After I built up a year on my mothers car, I started getting half decent quotes for my car. I prefer the first facelift bumpers the most too, but second facelift lights are nicer I think. Either a k10 or a clean ep80 starlet, big soft spot for them.

7000!? Thats insane! I would go named on my parents car, but they have a range rover, so I don't expect it to be any cheaper!! Haha!!
I like a good ol' Starlet too (and maybe the odd Glanza V! ;) )

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
I was quoted as much as 5000 after I passed with the year on my mothers car. The Range Rover could be a slight issue alright for quotes. My friend just picked up a 91 1.0 ep80, but he is a through and through Toyota man. He's had 2 glanzas already, and a few other ep91s too. He's hoping to have his current v on the road for summer, but there's a bit left for him to do. He's doing the same as me, buy a cheap car that's cheap to insure, and leave it sitting up while he drives the glanza

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
I would love a Glanza V! That insurance is an idea, but would the Micra not still have to be insured separately??
They are pretty amazing to be fair, great power stock and huge potential. No, as long as the micra is taxed and tested I can have an extension on my insurance that covers me to drive anything. The micra wouldn't be insured at all, so if I caught fire or got stolen then that's 100% my loss. Unfortunately it's the only way to keep cars like this on the road, it's ridiculous here but that's it sadly. That's how pretty much all the lads here drive anything remotely powerful or over 20 years old. And I'm choosing to keep the micra on. I might be a bit mad

Hi everyone!
Its been a while since I last did an update and a few things have happened to Mikey since - his official name!
Firstly, I bought a set if rev counters from LiamC and they are brilliant! Look awesome and work perfectly!
WP_20180113_16_36_42_Pro.jpg

Then I went to a bit more work; I fitted some tyres to my SR wheels and finally fitted them!! They look amazing! As well as this, I made some black mesh grills for the front and it makes a world of difference! This is my favourite photo of Mikey I have taken so far!
InstagramCapture_390b9707-b0a8-49dd-b048-16c0ccd3b6d0.jpg

Added a sticker for my instagram page (follow me ;) )!
WP_20180322_16_55_30_Pro.jpg

I then did the single wiper mod. I quite like it, but I may change it back. It still clears the windscreen quite well, though!
WP_20180405_13_36_49_Pro.jpg

I had a long rust patch on the inner sill when you opened the drivers door from the previous owners scraping the paint off when they got in. I finally got round to repairing it and painted it myself, and I am quite pleased with how it turned out!
WP_20180405_13_37_02_Pro.jpg

As I had some paint left over, I decided to spray the centre fascia body coloured. It was originally a bright orange and I liked it, but I then removed the radio and there was a gaping hole. I filled the hole with a scrap piece of acrylic I found at school, rubbed it all down and primed it, painted it and lacquered it. I think it turned out much neater than orange, and less garish.
WP_20180405_14_48_24_Pro.jpg

After having the SPAX suspension setup on for nearly a year, it had really started to settle down nicely and looked much lower. The wheels perfectly fill the arches now!
WP_20180405_13_38_11_Pro.jpg

Since the start of the year, I have been sponsored by Opie Oils, too, so that's a good start to the year!
WP_20180405_13_37_49_Pro.jpg

However, I went to give the car an oil change earlier this week and found that the sump had rusted so bad, it had decided to dump its oil all over the floor, so I need a new sump before I can go anywhere!
I am going to be participating in the Fueltopia Formula G this year with Mikey, so keep an eye out for that!
That's all for now! Once the sump is replaced we'll go for a test ride and take him out of hibernation!
Thanks guys and girls!!
Jak.

Hi everyone! Back again!
Mikey's had a big change recently. The corroded oil sump has been replaced and it's now holding all of the oil in the engine!
Myself and Mikey attended an autotest at Wethersfield a couple of weeks ago. We went up a class and finished second, which I was very happy about! That Mini Clubman is unbeatable!!
We had a little time in the week and so a neighbour of ours who is a paint sprayer kindly offered to refurb my SR wheels if I detailed his car (which was pretty fair!) We traded for the day and the results speak for themselves! I chose BMW Sparkling Graphite, and it looks amazing! The centre caps need spraying still but will be done very soon, so stay tuned! (Excuse the state of the car and the rust on the doors! He needs new ones!)
Nowt more to update you with yet, but hopefully some more will come soon. I'm on the hunt for a wrap around spoiler if anyone knows of one, so hit me up!!
Thanks guys and girls!
Jak.
20180624_191903.jpeg
IMG_20180624_191657_758.jpeg
IMG_20180624_182055.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Micra Sports Club mobile app