Middle silencer problem (probably)

My 2002 k11 998c hatchback has started to rattle and sound rather like a supercharged formula one car.

I have spotted that at the front of the middle silencer the pipe entering it has come loose instead of being all one part. I'm not completely sure what keeping it all up, some remaining inner pipe perhaps? You can feel hot air spilling out there as well.

My idea is to buy the oft mentioned Klarius Centre SilencerProduct Code: 704700231 from carparts4less for £22 and then find a local garage to swap them over. It is tempting to try myself as it looks like it is just bolts but I'm not sure I have a good way to get under the car... For £22 this seems more sensible than looking for welding it back together?

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'm assuming the parts are fairly interchangeable and will mate with the existing exhaust at either end?

Thanks for any thoughts.

DEdgeMac

Buy & Sell Member
Yes it's a quick bolt off-bolt on jobby and you could do it yourself in half an hour mate.

If not a garage shouldn't charge you more than £40.

OP
OP
Z
Thank you. I have purchased the part. It does look like the right one.

Unfortunately I can't shift the bolts. It feels like I will break something on the exaust first. So to the garage I must crawling go.

I assume it is right that the only thing holding up the middle exhaust section are the bolts at either end? There does not seem to be any other support brackets.

DEdgeMac

Buy & Sell Member
Yep, just the bolts are holding the middle section up. Hangers on the rear and bracket for the front section before downpipe.

Just undo the 4 bolts and its ready to swap over.

OP
OP
Z
Thank you for the help.

The garage charged about £60 in the end. A bit more than I had hoped but they said they had to drill out the bolts in the end. So close to £90 including the part. Still at least its done and it was the correct part so thankyou for that idea.

The exhaust actually broke on the way to the garage and I had to poke it back into place. It happened three times and scraped onto the road. I stuck a stick into it in the end which helped. So it cleary had to be done. Lucky I caught it just too late rather than when driving miles from home.

Thanks

This could've been worse. I had this issue and ignored it for about a week, mid exhaust fell off on a roundabout whilst still attached at the back.