Micra won't start

***Problem solved, steering colum was paired with the car, leaving the thread for anyone it might help***

Hello all, I would appreciate some advice if anyone has any!

At the start of July my car (Micra SE 2004, keyless start/entry, automatic) had a headlight issue so I called a recovery service to help, during their attempt to fix the car they dissconnected the battery and when reconnected the car would not start! (Headlight issue was solved replacing the fuse link the battery).

The dashboard lights come on when trying to start the car but the car won't start. The car has been at a local Nissan garage the last week and they believe the steering column has been replaced by a previous owner with a one use code (I've owned the car 4 years) and when the battery was disconnected the car lost the code. Nissan have suggested replacing the steering column (£1500) but have suggested the car is worth around £600.

They have also suggested having the steering column recoded but have said they won't do this? Does anyone know if it can be done? I'm starting to lose the will as the car has been in various garages for nearly 2 months but I don't want to lose my Micra.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Sounds like they are giving you the run about for £££££££££££££, there is lots of information out there for this fault and a decent auto technician would get to the bottom of this with some decent diagnostic tool, so to say your car is in a Nissan garage and they have not got this sorted apart from wanting £1500 from you speaks volumes! start with this report and then read and read about the problem so you are not taken for a ride.
/www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59770:unsure:

OP
OP
E
Sounds like they are giving you the run about for £££££££££££££, there is lots of information out there for this fault and a decent auto technician would get to the bottom of this with some decent diagnostic tool, so to say your car is in a Nissan garage and they have not got this sorted apart from wanting £1500 from you speaks volumes! start with this report and then read and read about the problem so you are not taken for a ride.
/www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59770:unsure:
Up until now the roadside assistance company that came out to the initial problem have been paying as the car was running before they turned up, however I don't think they're going to pay that ☹️

OP
OP
E
Update: Problem has been solved by huttojb who came to see the car and worked his magic and has saved me getting a new car!! Eternally grateful ?

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
No problem, it was lovely to meet you and hopefully Nissan can actually put your car back together.
As you saw, it only took a few minutes and I was only 30 mins away from you so happy to help.
hopefully after 2 months you can get back on the road.
Jason